Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Inception, the library version

I know that that checking the database on a regular basis is the cure for the following dilemna, but it still begs to be questioned...

copy to library/delete...now I have an "empty" library...I go to remove library only to find it filled with more files...

Add files including files within files (basically add the entire library) within the same library (if I am in a library named "calibre main" then I direct the add books to come from that library as a whole)

3500 books in files later....copy to another library/delete, remove library....

MORE BOOK FILES.....add books from library (2500 books) copy to library, remove library...still more books...

seriously? How is this possible when I am adding the entire library to itself? these are actual books and not just .opf or db files....
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I do not know what is broken with your system... Delete Permissions?

A number of us use "intake" type Libraries, where we clean and polish before moving (using Copy To Library: Delete) to the Main Library. Mine is clean (no strays visible inside the Library Folder) and I do not run the Library Maintenance on it very often.

Even when I went against the recommendations and my Calibre used for Intake was on a different PC (intake Library was a network share on the Main PC), all I saw was the GUI, (Edit Metadata) window would NOT get destroyed at the end of the edit. The metadata was saved just fine, Books moved and deleted... Even on a Network share.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
adding ( all of ) a library to itself could create a paradox ?.
does not seem like a smart thing to be doing.
why not create a new empty library. copy everything you want to keep to that, once only . then delete all other libraries ?
then go watch Predestination
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
adding ( all of ) a library to itself could create a paradox ?.
does not seem like a smart thing to be doing.
why not create a new empty library. copy everything you want to keep to that, once only . then delete all other libraries ?
then go watch Predestination
Where did itself come in?
The Copy to Library tool requires a registered (on the switch library menu) to function. The current Library does not appear on the list (just like on the Switch Library Menu)
That tool is not even available if there is only 1 Library
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Where did itself come in?
That tool is not even available if there is only 1 Library
Post 1, para 3. Maybe i misconstrued it. Not the clearest of posts
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Post 1, para 3. Maybe i misconstrued it. Not the clearest of posts

You should not do anything inside/with the contents of a FUNCTIONING Library

Calibre allows you to switch to the SOURCE Library, then use the Copy To Library (with or without the Delete option)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
(if I am in a library named "calibre main" then I direct the add books to come from that library as a whole)
I think he is saying that he used "Add Books" pointing the directory of the current library. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
(if I am in a library named "calibre main" then I direct the add books to come from that library as a whole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I think he is saying that he used "Add Books" pointing the directory of the current library. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
I think you nailed it, would the result be called a recursive library?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stumped,

Yes, there is a bit of a ouroboros effect with the way I deal with the library.

It all traces back to my over enthusiastic changing, scrapping, organizing, etc. of too many libraries that end up being sent to various computers, dropboxes, usb drives, etc.

Now when I come across these little time capsules, I always just add the library to see what is in them because over time my metadata has become unreliable (kind of like a recording of a recording of a recording and then finding the original). Recently I went through all my sources and just grabbed every possible library I could find and basically connected to them to see what was in them. I think there are 40 or 50 of them.

I open a library, copy the books to another library, then go to delete but when Calibre takes me to the folder, instead of finding two db and json files, there are numerous book files.

So I have an empty library that is filled with hidden books. I learned some time back that if I just add the library to itself, I end up with all the hidden books, and their metadata. However, last night it was out of control. An example is Cleaned up library 2, and Cleaned up library 2! both of them were last modified in 2015.

They initially had 3500 books or so, but they ended up being that type of library where all the book files are not with the .opf files (which annoys me to no end since I can't find a quick way to just merge them back together). So I sent the books from one library to the other and using overwrite to just thin down the numbers. When I went to remove the library, there were so many files, I wondered if I was removing the right one. I ended up "cannibalizing' it, and I was shocked to see that there were another 3500 books bring added...So I added them, and again sent them to the other library, and AGAIN found more files in the folder. This time there were 12,000 books....

I ended up doing a restore database just to knock it out. I have no idea how it happened, but it seems like each title had been duplicated but there were about 5 or 6 different title/series/series index was for each book, then there were book files not with the .opf files, and then there were just duplicates. This happened with a couple of libraries, and right now I am weeding through so many of them that I can't even copy to some of them because there is no room for Calibre to add them to the list of copy to libraries.

This whole thing is like Greek Mythology. Hydras and ouroboros and Sysifus combined.

Sorry that was so long...
Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Rellwood

@theducks, it would be a recursive library, except for the fact that I keep sending the added books to another library. I know that many people use Calibre for one or two libraries, but I have completely abused the ability to create libraries. The idea of one or two libraries is a dream of mine, but until I get all the metadata right, along with the GR sync I will continue digging through the old libraries. I have managed to get libraries just right and then I self destruct them by doing some major shifting or removing of metadata...

Now don't get me started on CSV files....