Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
yanathin
yanathin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
K3 Squeaky, Loose Back Panel

The back panel on my K3 is slowly becoming loose at the top. When I pick it up out of my bag, I feel like I'm squeezing it back into place and it makes this squeaking noise. It feels like it's coming apart like a cheap toy. Is this happening to anybody else or should I get a replacement from Amazon?
yanathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post
The back panel on my K3 is slowly becoming loose at the top. When I pick it up out of my bag, I feel like I'm squeezing it back into place and it makes this squeaking noise. It feels like it's coming apart like a cheap toy. Is this happening to anybody else or should I get a replacement from Amazon?
Try calling kindle cs and see what they say. Use the "contact me" button at the bottom of the page. You'll have to sign in to your account, then choose the "call me" option. Let us know what they say.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanathin View Post
What a coincidence. After having mine for 10 days, it just started doing a similar thing last night, except at the bottom. It's kind of distracting when I'm reading and occasionally move my hand around and it gives a little squeak.

I'm kinda hoping that when I get a cover, it will no longer be an issue.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Crozie
Hobbit
Crozie began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and Kindle 3G
I have noticed this as well.

I would have described it as a creaking. With my K3 it is right in the middle of the right hand side page forward button. It seems to me like the glue (?) holding the back on
has slightly lost its stick.

I've also noticed that it looks like the gut or what ever that keeps the screen and plastic surround is coming slightly loose at the right hand side page back button.

There is a miniscule gap that fine cat hair gets caught it some time! I can press it down again and it slowly lifts up again.
Crozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
morgank
morgank began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My back panel flexes a little bit at the top in the middle. No creaking or squeaking (yet)
morgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Shibito
Shibito began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozie View Post
I would have described it as a creaking. With my K3 it is right in the middle of the right hand side page forward button.
Same here. I'm just assuming it is a minor defect that won't cause any problems, at least not any time soon. Nothing is going to be perfect. As long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm not going to complain.
Shibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
socal9
socal9 began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for kindle
Yeah, I just got my new Kindle 3 about a week ago and my left side page forward button sometimes has a creaky sound to it when pressed on the lower end of the key. All the other keys feel nice and firm. Oh well, nothing is perfect (at least not at this price point!)
socal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
So does everyone below have a case for their kindle, or are you reading it 'nekkid'?

Do you think having it in a case would help?

Can't wait to get mine to try it out.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Mine makes a sound down at the bottom back of the case too, if pressed.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So does everyone below have a case for their kindle, or are you reading it 'nekkid'?

Do you think having it in a case would help?

Can't wait to get mine to try it out.......
I've only had mine for about a week now but it's been in the case almost the whole time. I haven't had a problem. I had the K1 and the K2, as well, and the only one I read outside the case was the K1 because it was really designed to be read that way (since it came with that lame--but free!--cover). I think if you keep it in the case it will probably be fine. Although the casing for the Kindle itself definitely doesn't seem as solid as the K2, which had a metal back plate. Makes sense given the recent "price wars," though.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Are you guys just doing to deal with the loose back or get a replacement.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The top left corner the back plate of the Kindle when holding it normally is slightly loose on mine. Its a bit annoying but I doubt I'd bother sending it back for that. It doesn't squeak (so far)
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
s0litaire
s0litaire began at the beginning.

With my Kindle the top middle has a bit of give in it.

But I've already taken the back off mine (Using my thumbnail rather than anything sharp!) So I thought that was why it felt loose...

I'm not too bothered! once it's in a case you'll not notice it! lol
s0litaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
Are you guys just doing to deal with the loose back or get a replacement.
I'm not planning on asking for a replacement for these reasons:
  1. I've subconsciously adjusted how I grip my K3 so that my hand rarely hits the small spot that flexes.
  2. When/if I get a cover, I don't think it will be an issue any more.
  3. I figure a replacement would just as likely as not have the same problem.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
yep, another one whose K3 is a bit loose on top but just like Tiersten and rlparker i don't really think it's a major issue and is worth the trip to see the Wizard of Oz.
like rlparker says, chances are 50-50 on getting a "perfect" fit. thankfully it's on the top part so it's not in any area i have to grip a lot.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote