Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
stunev
stunev began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
epub invalid page on sony prs 505

Greetings Everybody,

I'm new to the forum , hope you don't mind me leaping straight in with a problem that has me going crazy.

Trying to create ebooks using Adobe CS4 and exported to ADE, I've followed the suggestions on best practice and my ebooks open on ADE Reader and look fine.

I've borrowed a Sony PRS 505 to test my ebooks and this is where it all falls apart, although they look great on ADE Reader and even the Sony Reader Preview on my Desktop, when I transfer them to the 505 they come up with 'Invalid Page' messages.

The only way I've able to get them to work is a conversion in Calibre to LRF format.

Any thoughts?
stunev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome to mobileread stunev, I've asked the mods if they can put this post into a more appropriate forum ... where you are more likely to get a solution.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
stunev,
Have you embedded fonts into your epub file?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does the file pass ePub Check?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
stunev

Hi Stasys,

I've tried them with and without embedded fonts, doesn't make any difference.
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
stunev

Hi AnemicOak,

Just tried the epubcheck on Three Press Consulting's website. They talk about 'uploading DRM free files' but my understanding is that ADE applies DRM to ebooks automatically without any way of telling it not to. Anyway, not surprisingly my file brought up the error messages below which mean nothing to me. Any suggestions I'ld be very grateful.

# ERROR: ebook test 5710.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(2): attribute "compression" from namespace "http://ns.adobe.com/digitaleditions/enc" not allowed at this point; ignored
# ERROR: ebook test 5710.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(8): attribute "compression" from namespace "http://ns.adobe.com/digitaleditions/enc" not allowed at this point; ignored
# ERROR: ebook test 5710.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(14): attribute "compression" from namespace "http://ns.adobe.com/digitaleditions/enc" not allowed at this point; ignored
# ERROR: ebook test 5710.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(10): date value '' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected
Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Don't yer just love error messages that explain themselves in words we can understand ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Don't yer just love error messages that explain themselves in words we can understand ....
That's too harsh - I guarantee this made sense to the developer who wrote the algorithm.....

abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
One thing to ask yourself: Do you really want DRM on your ebook? I suspect that may be at least part of your problem and no part of your solution.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
stunev

No I don't want DRM on my ebooks but exporting to ADE from InDesign always applies DRM whether you want it or not. If anyone knows how to create epub format ebooks from InDesign without going through ADE then I'll give that a try.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunev View Post
No I don't want DRM on my ebooks but exporting to ADE from InDesign always applies DRM whether you want it or not. If anyone knows how to create epub format ebooks from InDesign without going through ADE then I'll give that a try.
Is this something new? I've got CS4, not 5, but when you export you get a regular epub. DRM is applied by Content Server which is what you, or your distributor, have to use if you want to sell books using Adept DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Have you broken your file into chapters or other small bits? I get that error message on epubs that are formatted all in one chunk. I think >300 kb is the limit for the Sony.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote