Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your gender ratio/bias?
I don't care about the author's gender, but I read much more male authors 30 33.33%
I don't care about the author's gender, but I read much more female authors 6 6.67%
I don't care about the author's gender, and I think it's not far from a 50/50 ratio 17 18.89%
I prefer male authors 5 5.56%
I prefer female authors 4 4.44%
I prefer male authors, but read more female authors 0 0%
I prefer female authors, but read more male authors 0 0%
I try to read an equal number of books from both genders 1 1.11%
I don't care about the author's gender, and I've no idea what ratio my books have. 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #46
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I don't really care what the gender of my authors are, but I do have more female authors in my Cybook. I tend to read a lot of Fantasy, werewolves and vampires and other things that go bump in the night. Most of those seem to be written by women, or at least the ones i've found. I read a lot of SciFi and have to admit that most of those books are written by women as well. Anne McCaffrey has a lot to do with that.

Then again, if I want the pants scared off me I'll head over to Podiobooks and grab anything by Scott Sigler!
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Thanks for adding that last option!

I don't care and I don't know... If you like an author do you like it less if you find out the author of the wrong gender?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #48
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
In an effort to answer this poll, I attempted to discover the gender of a book.

When I opened the cover to take a look, it screamed, "Masher!"

I quickly closed the cover, placed it back on the shelf, and left the room. I do not believe I will be returning anytime soon.

And also :teameetskeyboardatwork:
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post

And also :teameetskeyboardatwork:

it's so long now since I last read a paper book, that I took one down - opened it up at a page and a large spider crawled out .... shuddering I quickly slammed it shut and quietly placed it back onto the shelf .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
it's so long now since I last read a paper book, that I took one down - opened it up at a page and a large spider crawled out .... shuddering I quickly slammed it shut and quietly placed it back onto the shelf .....
But was it a male or female spider????!!!!
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #51
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I really don't pay much attention to gender, but I read a lot of old Science Fiction which was in the past a largely male genre. Still, I've read a lot of Andre Norton, C.L. Moore, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mary Gentle, Zenna Henderson and Ursula Leguin. And Connie Willis is one of my favorite.

In the fantasy genre, I tend to prefer male writers. Often female writers tend to have too much of a New Age influence for my tastes. (I blame my aversion on Mercedes Lackey.)

Still, there are female fantasy authors that I like, such as Katherine Kurtz, J.K. Rowlings, and Evangeline Walton.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #52
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Yep, JK Rowlings is definitely into fantasy .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #53
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
My Little Pony Goes to War.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #54
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You may want to consider Storm Constantine - she is quite good - I enjoyed her trilogy about the Grigori - that is infact where my screen name comes from - although the spelling has been adjusted to protect the innocent lol
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #55
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
You may want to consider Storm Constantine - she is quite good - I enjoyed her trilogy about the Grigori - that is infact where my screen name comes from - although the spelling has been adjusted to protect the innocent lol
Those books look really good -- too bad that not available in Kindle versions.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #56
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #57
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Ok, BenG owes me a new keyboard... My Little Pony Goes to War... Actually I happen to enjoy that book (trilogy) and the book's cover but still... I'm not a fan of her books that came after that... (furries and cookie cutter writing in my opinion)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #58
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I've chosen the last option.
Interestingly enough, though, I don't like to read that many books about female heroines, as they're harder for me to relate to. I also don't care much for the whole coming of age genre and would rather see more mature heros, especially in fantasy.
Just my 2c.

Edit: I've also found (in my experience) that while women authors can write from a male viewpoint rather convincingly, I've read very few male authors who manage to do the opposite (in fantasy).

Last edited by Dave Berk; 05-14-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #59
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I've chosen the last option.
Interestingly enough, though, I don't like to read that many books about female heroines, as they're harder for me to relate to. I also don't care much for the whole coming of age genre and would rather see more mature heros, especially in fantasy.
Just my 2c.

Edit: I've also found (in my experience) that while women authors can write from a male viewpoint rather convincingly, I've read very few male authors who manage to do the opposite (in fantasy).
have you read the Honor Harrington series?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #60
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
have you read the Honor Harrington series?
Only the first one, and I don't remember much of it . My science fiction fix is kinda different.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote