Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Yeah, even in landscape mode. The lines of text in the most problematic books are about 8.5" wide when I trim the margins. I should probably add that I am extremely nearsighted. I need a bigger font than most people in order for it to be legible.
Lines of text 8.5" wide... with no columns?! That's unheard of... whoever typeset that needs their head examined... 6.5" (so the width of 8.5x11 paper with 1" inch margins on both sides) is already significantly too wide by most professional standards; very few published works I've seen go above 4.5" (at least in a single column), and many significantly less.

Yeah, I think if your vision problems are bad enough you're going to have to convert, or use the reflow feature on the reader. You shouldn't end up with no paragraph breaks at all though... what software are you using to convert?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
You shouldn't end up with no paragraph breaks at all though... what software are you using to convert?
I've tried converting with Calibre and Acrobat (the "Save As" feature). Also tried opening it in Gmail and copying out the text. No matter what I do, the line breaks are stripped out. Very frustrating.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #18
elegant
elegant began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn123py View Post
I usually do these Steps to read PDF on my Sony:
- remove DRM
- open the PDF with newest Acrobat Reader, select all, copy to clipboard
- open Word, copy from clipboard
- with some macros, fix hyphenation, remove page numbers, Chapters and so on.
- save as HTML
- import into calibre
- convert to lrf

all together, it takes me about 10 Minutes each book.

regards,
macfly.
What macros do you use? Is there one which can remove page numbers reliably, as the format will probably vary slightly from book to book?

elegant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Converting a standard novel length PDF to any format is going to introduce errors and the only way to be 100% sure the conversion is error free is to compare the converted PDF to the original PDF and (IMHO), it's not worth the hassle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
elegant

I don't mind too much about minor errors, but I do have author name and page number in the text which I'd like to remove.
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
I don't mind too much about minor errors, but I do have author name and page number in the text which I'd like to remove.
The errors can range from minor to major. You just won't know until you try the conversion. If it's one of those highly formatted PDFs with images and columns, then forget even bothering.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM   #22
elegant

Quote:
The errors can range from minor to major. You just won't know until you try the conversion. If it's one of those highly formatted PDFs with images and columns, then forget even bothering.
No just text and normal paragraphs.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #23
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I've never tried BookDesigner, though. I have, however, tried Acrobat Pro's export as HTML/RTF feature, with mixed results.

Does anyone have a sense of the relative quality of output of BookDesigner for PDF > X conversions vs. opening in Acrobat Pro and exporting to rtf/html? I'm sure either way a lot of cleaning up will be necessary afterwards if you want a professional looking result.
Bookdesigner is superior, because you can easily do the cleanup with the help of these built-in tools in just a few minutes: Book Cleanup and Element Browser.
Another option is to get Abby Finereader, it can convert to LIT, then you can convert to LIT to LRF. Again BD does a good job and this way pictures are preserved. Other tools also may have an easier time with the LIT format than PDF.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote