Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #91
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
So from reading this thread I understand I can now buy books from Amazon even though I don't own a Kindle. But will I be able to then put those books on my Sony 505? By using Calibre and a separate program, the DRM stripper? Or is there one program that will do it for me?

Thanks for the help.
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #92
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
It my case, I was allowed to download it to the itouch...it does ask you what device you are using...I clicked on itouch so I am not sure if it allows you to download to computer
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #93
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddumbguy View Post
So from reading this thread I understand I can now buy books from Amazon even though I don't own a Kindle. But will I be able to then put those books on my Sony 505?
No, you won't.

To strip the DRM from a Kindle book, you need to be able to transfer the file to your hard drive, and you need a Device ID.

You can transfer the file by USB from your hardware Kindle, but once it's on your iPhone it's going to stay there (unless you jailbreak it). And you can extract the Kindle's serial number to use as a Device ID for cracking Kindle books, but nobody knows how to derive the iPhone's Device ID yet.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #94
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:

Your iPhone(s) and iPod Touch(es)

Need to register an iPhone or iPod touch? Learn How
This showed up on my Manage your Kindle page today.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #95
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
shadowwolf - go to "Manage Your Kindle" under "Your Accounts" at Amazon. Scroll down the page and see what options you have for downloading your books. Even if you can download the book it still doesn't solve the problem of what the PID is.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #96
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For yucks I entered in my Touch serial number into KindlePID.py and it gave me valid looking PID. However, Amazon won't let me download a version of an ebook for the Touch but I can download versions for my Kindle. The message says to try back in 24 hours so I'll try tomorrow.

If you can download iPod versions of Kindle books to your PC with a valid PID.....
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #97
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
For yucks I entered in my Touch serial number into KindlePID.py and it gave me valid looking PID. However, Amazon won't let me download a version of an ebook for the Touch but I can download versions for my Kindle. The message says to try back in 24 hours so I'll try tomorrow.

If you can download iPod versions of Kindle books to your PC with a valid PID.....
You're right. Kindlepid.py returns a valid (?) PID. But when I try using mobiddrm01 or mobiddrm02 there's an error: "Error: invalid file format."
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #98
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I suspect it will depend on the file format used for the ebook.
Topaz books (.tpz or .azw1 if I remember well) have not been liberated yet.
Masqueraded Mobipocket (.azw) could be liberated with MobiDeDRM.

I cannot guarantee what I say above, since I don't have a Kindle, but it's what I remember from discussions on MR.
When I open my Kindle sample book in Notepad, first four characters are: TPZ0. Maybe this means that it's Topaz.

EDIT: Yes, it's Topaz. I got another sample book and it seems to be MOBI (there's a BOOKMOBI string is inside the file.)

EDIT 2: The other sample book isn't DRMed.

Last edited by owl123; 03-04-2009 at 02:55 PM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #99
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
now we know what i luv cabbages should work on next . . ..
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #100
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
On the "Manage your Kindle" it will allow me to select "download to computer" and then it asks for which Kindle. If I select my iPhone, it won't complete the download (it says the file is unavailable (try again later)), but the file is always available for an actual Kindle.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I don't know whether eReader is in trouble. But I suspect that any person and any store who relies heavily on DRM-locked Mobipocket is in trouble. Amazon is in the singular position of owning and licensing the DRM used by a considerable number of its e-book competitors. Not releasing an iPhone app that can read competitors' books may only be the first step.

http://www.teleread.org/2009/03/04/d...t-on-the-wall/
The problem is that Amazon is sending out a lot of mixed messages. They need to get their act together and sort this out and tell us what is really going on. Are they hampering Mobipocket now in favor of the Kindle version? What is their official stand on DRM? And once they (if they ever will) tell us what is really going on, they will then need to back it up with their actions. I mean we have Mobipocket saying there would be an app for the phone/touch and then rumors (that we all suspect are true) that the app was squashed by Amazon. Mobipocket has clammed up about the app and won't say a word about it. Now we have the Kindle app instead. The day someone figures out how to get the PID from the app is the day the books can possibly be liberated.

Come on Amazon, stop jerking us around and tell us what's really going on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #102
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Isn't it wonderful how DRM helps all the paying customers? Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Pirates with Jailbroken Iphones download and use with little hassle or troubles.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But can Kindle AZW eBooks have the DRM removed if the PID is unknown?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #104
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that Amazon is sending out a lot of mixed messages. They need to get their act together and sort this out and tell us what is really going on.
They have said the want to emulate the success of the iPod. So they want to have a format that totally dominates the market and only are sold by them.

I think the only format that have a chance to stop them is ePub. Everything else will disappear. And they will probably soon change the awz format so that it is not compatible with MobiPocket readers.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #105
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They have said the want to emulate the success of the iPod. So they want to have a format that totally dominates the market and only are sold by them.

I think the only format that have a chance to stop them is ePub. Everything else will disappear. And they will probably soon change the awz format so that it is not compatible with MobiPocket readers.
Amazon can still do this, once they have captured a significant e-book market through the Kindle, by licensing apps that play on any devices, in their AWZ format.

If the Kindle is only here to generate sales and interest in e-books (a believable scenario, considering how little aesthetic work they've put in on the hardware), then Amazon can wait until the e-book market reaches critical mass, then steer it in another direction: Amazon abandons the hardware for (or supplements it with) a multi-platform software app that reads only the AWZ e-books. Everyone will buy e-books from Amazon, whether they have a Kindle or not, because they are used to going to Amazon to get them. Even ePub may not be able to break that habit.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle