Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #76
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
I wanted to name my Kindle "A■■hole" -- in a reference to John Scalzi's Old Man's War. That would have been hilarious, but only to people who have read that book. In the end, I decided I didn't want to have to explain that every time someone asked me to show them my Kindle.

Maybe I'll name my DX "BrainPal" when it comes in, since it'll be used for all my technical PDF's (and of course regular reading). Same thinking as above...

For now, though, it just says David's Kindle. Yawn.
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #77
ashwincr
ashwincr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
my DX will be named "12 inches"
ashwincr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #78
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSoonerGirl View Post
Her name is Clio, after the Greek Muse of History.
Nice, mine is Calliope after the Muse of Epic Poetry. She's often pictured with a tablet or scroll in her hand.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #79
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
Runcible ... I still like the name and I thought it was appropriate considering the software had been named Fiona ...
That's a great name.

For those who haven't read it, Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age has an advanced Kindle of sorts called the Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. The code name for the book in the novel was Runcible, and when Amazon chose code names for the Kindle 1 and 2 (I don't know about the DX) they used names of characters from the novel.

I think I'll name my Kindle Nell, the main character from the novel.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #80
MeaganLynn89
MeaganLynn89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
mine's name is Pandora's Box
lol
MeaganLynn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #81
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
I named mine 3bayjunkie. surprising huh =P
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #82
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Wow, I'm feeling really lame. My Kindle showed up at my door with a name already and it never occured to me to change it. In fact, I didn't even know you could....

I've never named an inanimate object in my life with the exception of baby dolls as a child. I guess I need to get in touch with my creative side ...

I've named dogs "dog", cats "cat", fish "fish", etc. Even my 4 kids have hand-me-down names except the youngest which I found in a book.

Now I am determined to name my Kindle although I have no idea what.

EDIT: I did it! I found a name and my Kindle is now known as Perilla. I used Google translator to find words for "knowledgeable" in other languages. I found the Finnish word "perilla" to be quite feminine and beautiful.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 12-28-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I did it!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #83
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Wow, I'm feeling really lame. My Kindle showed up at my door with a name already and it never occured to me to change it. In fact, I didn't even know you could....

I've never named an inanimate object in my life with the exception of baby dolls as a child. I guess I need to get in touch with my creative side ...

I've named dogs "dog", cats "cat", fish "fish", etc. Even my 4 kids have hand-me-down names except the youngest which I found in a book.

Now I am determined to name my Kindle although I have no idea what.
"Bob" is always safe.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #84
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
"Bob" is always safe.
Ummmm problem with "Bob" is that everyone in my family already has that name.

Me (Roberta)
My father
My father-in-law
My husband
My son
My nephew
THREE of my brother-in-laws (all brothers of my husband, Bob)

Yes, we are from West Virginia. True story.

EDIT: I edited my post above this one with the name I decided on.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #85
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Mine is named Pauline after the AI (Artificial Intellengece program) used/owned/... by one of the characters, John Boone, in Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars.

My various computers have always been named after AI's (sentient computers, androids, robots, software interfaces, or other) that I've encountered in reading. Portable devices (e.g. my various notebook computers, palmtop devices, and now a dedicated ebook reader) are all named after mobile entities. My first, back in 1980-81 was a TRS-80 Color Computer named "Mike", short for Mycroft (as in Sherlock's smarter brother), the name a self-aware computer in Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress chose for itself.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #86
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Ummmm problem with "Bob" is that everyone in my family already has that name.

Me (Roberta)
My father
My father-in-law
My husband
My son
My nephew
THREE of my brother-in-laws (all brothers of my husband, Bob)

Yes, we are from West Virginia. True story.

EDIT: I edited my post above this one with the name I decided on.
See? Just can't go wrong with Bob!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
"Bob" is always safe.
No I'm not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #88
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
All my network stuff at home had been named something related to Calvin and Hobbes in the past, but my mind had kind of blanked when it came to more recent devices... then my wife got me the complete Calvin and Hobbes boxed set and in re-reading the comic I came up with a fantastic name for my Kindle:

Atomic Cerebral Enhance-o-Tron

Oh, how I miss that comic strip.

-Erik
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #89
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I named it after me, my email, and phone number
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #90
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Have a kindle 2 Named: Mary Shelley
and the wife have a kindle 3 named: Harper Lee
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote