Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Audible subscription vs. "add narration" on Kindle titles

What do you think? I re-upped with Audible this summer after years away and I did use my first couple credits, but then I started looking at the Kindle titles and the cost to "add narration." In every case, the cost for the audiobook was less than a monthly Audible credit ($14.95 for 1 credit/mo). In fact, each of the titles I purchased was less than $10 for ebook and audiobook combined, though a couple were novellas and one of the others was Wool, originally self-published on the Kindle store.

It looks like most mainstream, full-length titles run $12.99 for audio on top of $7-10 for the ebook, which makes subscription credits look a little better if you don't mind doing without the text. Also, Audible does offer additional discounts and promotions to members fairly regularly, from what I've heard--I've had a $10 coupon myself, which can also be applied to "add narration" buys via Amazon.

I'm sure Amazon crunched the numbers after the acquisition to avoid totally cannibalizing Audible's business model, but there are a number of titles where you can get both ebook and audio for less than either a credit or the members' discount price of audio alone.

Have any of you ditched your Audible subscription because of Whispersync? Has anyone gone the other way, and picked up a subscription after getting a taste via Whispersync?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I cancelled my subscription earlier this year in part because of Whispersync for voice. Although not for the reasons you've outlined, but I because bought quite a lot of Kindle Daily Deal ebooks and companion audiobooks and I realized that I needed to catch up with my listening and stop buying more with credits and sales. My backlog is manageable again and I just signed back up for the 40% off Amazon Local deal, but expect to cancel my subscription again at the end of the 6 months.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have a basic membership that does not include credits. I get all of the promos, except the ones that involve credits. I use whatever "cash" I get from these promos to buy the $0.99 Whispersync classics.

I now have close to 200 titles since I first joined Audible (about two years ago) and have never spent more than $1 on any given title; most of them were free. I use the library for more expensive titles.

Audible currently has a free $5 voucher promo going on. Check this post for details.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I got a subscription in January, and honestly, I'm never doing it again. The add narration is such a better deal. It's the price of the subscription every month, or even less.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Very little of what I buy on Audible is part of the "add narration" promotion. For me, a subscription is still a good deal.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I buy plenty of Whispersync for Voice titles, but there are a lot of books I get that are not available that way that I use my two credits a month on.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'll be cancelling before my plan goes full-price next month. In most cases I do want the ebook as well, even if Amazon isn't the first place I'd normally go to get it. So far I haven't encountered any books where Whispersync wasn't available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I got a subscription in January, and honestly, I'm never doing it again. The add narration is such a better deal. It's the price of the subscription every month, or even less.
That will depend a lot on your reading habits and how much you value the ebook. I only did a handful of searches, but it looks like A-list titles are typically around $8 for the ebook and $13 to add audio. You're looking at $20-25 total cost. All of the titles I've grabbed so far, though, were more like $2-5 for the ebook and $2-3 to add audio, so less even then my half-price monthly credits.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I think I'll be cancelling before my plan goes full-price next month. In most cases I do want the ebook as well, even if Amazon isn't the first place I'd normally go to get it. So far I haven't encountered any books where Whispersync wasn't available.

That will depend a lot on your reading habits and how much you value the ebook. I only did a handful of searches, but it looks like A-list titles are typically around $8 for the ebook and $13 to add audio. You're looking at $20-25 total cost. All of the titles I've grabbed so far, though, were more like $2-5 for the ebook and $2-3 to add audio, so less even then my half-price monthly credits.
If you check out the Whispersync ebook from the library, Amazon thinks you own it and will let you buy the audiobook at the reduced price.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If you check out the Whispersync ebook from the library, Amazon thinks you own it and will let you buy the audiobook at the reduced price.
I'm guessing that will only work if you own Kindle hardware. I don't think you can send library books to the Android app.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
I'm guessing that will only work if you own Kindle hardware. I don't think you can send library books to the Android app.
No, you can. I do it in Kindle for Mac.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I can borrow Kindle books using the OverDrive app on my Nexus 7.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
No, you can. I do it in Kindle for Mac.
Well, I'll have to check it out. I'll be wanting the Kindle for PC app anyway if I'm actually buying books from Amazon--just to get a system in place to free them from their eshackles.

Edit:

Quote:
I can borrow Kindle books using the OverDrive app on my Nexus 7.
Better yet. I always install OverDrive, but have yet to actually check out any electronic media from my local libraries.

Last edited by taosaur; 08-25-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use my credits generally only when there is a 3 for 2 deal, or a $10 coupon offer. I let them pile up until then. I have 10 credits currently, so I'm hoping for a $10 coupon offer fairly soon.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
I have a basic membership that does not include credits. I get all of the promos, except the ones that involve credits. I use whatever "cash" I get from these promos to buy the $0.99 Whispersync classics.

I now have close to 200 titles since I first joined Audible (about two years ago) and have never spent more than $1 on any given title; most of them were free. I use the library for more expensive titles.

Audible currently has a free $5 voucher promo going on. Check this post for details.
Thanks Tubemonkey that worked for me! I don't have an active membership with Audible anymore and it does show I have $5.00 credit now. I "assume" (bad word to use I know) I can use this still. I am hoping to find a book at Amazon and then buy the Whispersync at Amazon. Hope it shows my credit there. I would rather use Amazon. Just easier for me to get around and find things.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
How does Amazon know I've borrowed a Kindle book from my library?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote