Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Nested Span?

I have seen this issue multiple times...usually after a Calibre conversion...and I'm wondering if there was some obscure property of a nested span tag that I'm not aware of...

I see something similar to:
Code:
<span><span class="calibre26">CONGRATULATIONS</span></span>
The only thing in the CSS is ".calibre26"...no styling for "span span" or even for just "span" for that matter. To me that means the outer span tags are completely superfluous... (yay, I got my SAT word in for the day!)

Is there some device/app out there that requires the double span thing, or is that just a Calibre quirk?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I believe old version of iBooks only did certain things after it was wrapped in a span. I hope they solved that by now.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I believe old version of iBooks only did certain things after it was wrapped in a span.
Indeed, here is some more explanation:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118576

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ooks-bugs.html
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Well, that definitely answers my question...they are hacks to get ibooks to work. I feel better about not knowing about this issue...i avoid ibooks for more standards compliant readers/apps for my personal books.

For now, I'll just strip out the extraneous (ohhh 2 SAT words in one day/thread!! ) spans.

Thanks!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I believe old version of iBooks only did certain things after it was wrapped in a span. I hope they solved that by now.
IIRC, the spans are not necessary if you add the magic com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file with specified-fonts set to true. Otherwise, iBooks assumes that the book probably has crufty, broken CSS, and it ignores large swaths of it, e.g. font changes on spans.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert