Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Sony Ericsson and wattpad

Sorry for double posting, but how do you search Wattpad on a SE X10 mini? I get get onto wattpad, but can't find any search function.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
I have one too, not tried, Wattpad; whats it for? I will install it but not sure what the point is...in any event I can help sort this out. Is this available in the market?
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wattpad calls itself "YouTube for books" Basically lots of uploaded books which you can download and read on your phone. Also lots of cringe-makingly bad fan fiction, which I read with a sort of car crash fascination.

I used to read lots of books on my old Sony W300, and it worked perfectly. Now I've got the X10 and suddenly having all sorts of problems. One big one is that on my old phone I could download a book to read offline. I haven't been able to find any way to do this on the new phone.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Hmm I scoured the market for it, no sign (everything "watt"-oriented had to do with the battery). As for book-reading, I slid an 8 gig card into the beast, hooked it to my PC and pushed a few hundred of my favorite epubs to a folder and it works fine (or as fine as a small form-factor thing can be; after a CoolER and a Nook, its hard to do long-term reading on a small screen). Anyhow for various reasons I am reasonably familiar with the plumbing on this thing so I will google a bit to see if I can tell whats up (if I can find Wattpad...is it still under that name? Where did you find it?)...

stay tuned X10 fans...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
jeffcobb
Groupie

God do I feel stoopid. It was installed already. Still doesn't explain why searching the market could not find it with a search term of "watt" but whatever. Let me check this thing out. It looks like a way to download a lot of the books I already have but the experience will be interesting.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
jeffcobb
Groupie

Interesting. The scrolling takes a little (ok alot for a fast reader) to get used to but it does have an interesting array of features. I will look into your specific issues after dinner.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Sorry for double posting, but how do you search Wattpad on a SE X10 mini? I get get onto wattpad, but can't find any search function.
BTW the search function (for me) was entered by hitting the tools button (bottom-left of the three), then selecting "Search". I will check into the offline reading after dinner. FWIW, any book it has can be gotten other places for download/reading offline so if Wattpad doesn't want to do it, basically every other reader can. FWIW it offered me Dracula and that happens to be what I read offline now
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
jeffcobb
Groupie

I searched for vampires and it hit a ton of them....
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
jeffcobb
Groupie

I don't know about reading offline. Once I started to browse a title, then disconnected it was still there and I paged a long-ways into the book so I guess it was there....what are you experiencing? That said I did not see a specific command to download/read a book offline, it was just kinda "there".
Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
EileenG
Zealot

Oh yes, lots and lots and LOTS of vampires. Also girls sleeping with teenage boys with the blessing of their parents, because "he thinks of her as a sister".

On my old Sony w300, I had the choice of reading on-line, adding to my library for later reading, or downloading and reading offline. Maybe if I disconnected, it would keep going. I must try that.

www.wattpad.com
Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Oh yes, lots and lots and LOTS of vampires. Also girls sleeping with teenage boys with the blessing of their parents, because "he thinks of her as a sister".

On my old Sony w300, I had the choice of reading on-line, adding to my library for later reading, or downloading and reading offline. Maybe if I disconnected, it would keep going. I must try that.

www.wattpad.com
Well first of all, with vampires age is always a relative thing, something I had to keep reminding myself when reading the works of Anne Rice

Given what the stated purpose of Wattpad is Eileen, I am sure that any book you see there is a download-away and you have it forever offline if you like (and there are a raft of Android ebook readers, two of which I know is Aikido and FBReader. The former is just by a friends recommendation, the latter I have used for a long time on a variety of platforms). Wattpad looks interesting but I will need to play with it some before I sold on it. There are just so many readers, networking/aggregation sites/tools out there it is hard to pick one as a favorite.

All of that said, I just had an idea: after making sure I was offline (read: no wifi and I don't have a data plan) I plugged my X10 into the PC and mounted the storage card. I looked for the data file for Dracula, by Bran Stoker (the book I was using as a test case with Wattpad) and looked high and low for it. It was not to be found. My hope was that I would either find a partial instance of the book or a complete copy of it. If offline reading was not a feature currently in play, I expected the find the former; if things *were* automatically downloaded for offline reading I would have expected the latter. Since neither seems to be the case I will keep looking because even without something to find, it does seem to be storing a non-trivial amount of the book *somewhere*.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
jeffcobb
Groupie

Just as a short follow-up Eileen, while still in offline mode on the X10, I skipped to the end of the book there and compared it with the end of the book on my Nook which came from Project Gutenberg as well. The endings were the same meaning that it appears that the entire book is on the X10. Where exactly is anyones guess but it does seem to be there for offline reading.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
EileenG
Zealot

Okay, that's good to know. I'll play around with it some more and see if I'm downloading more than I thought. I obviously need to spend time with my x10 learning all its fobiles.