Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Plastic Logic demo video from O'Reilley TOC Conference

Enjoy the show.

http://vimeo.com/3205133

Tzu's The Art of War -- is it a good book for a presentation?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Interesting video. The guy demoing it said it would support epub, ereader, Microsoft office(probably rtf ?) and a variety of other formats.
Refresh time seems OK though not blisteringly fast
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Looks like a very nice device, but too big for pleasure reading. However, as they seem to be marketing it, great for business users to replace all the paper being carried. Would love to see them bring an 8" screen to market with significantly reduced borders. This would be a great replacement for the iliad in the mid-size device range.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I hope that is an older prototype. (*points to the line in the screen*)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
looks nice, but still seems to have a fairly grey background. But we can not tell from a video. I was hoping for a whiter background. And it sure looks as it the frame is a bit, well, floppy. Maybe that is to show off the flexibility of the displays themselves.

As for the lines, has to be a prototype thing. Somehow I doubt many people would be happy dropping $350-$500 for a device that has an issue like that.

Overall, looks really nice. How cool would it be to have a 3-ring binder sort of setup for the bezel? That way you could keep it inside a normal folder with any other papers you are carrying...all in one neat notebook sort of setup. It would be easy to just pop it out of there for reading...or leave it in as you choose.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post

Tzu's The Art of War -- is it a good book for a presentation?
That would depend on the extra's and who's commentary might be included with it.

I have one with Chinese General Tao Hanzhang's commentary and illustrations which reveals a bit about the thought of the Chinese military command during the late forties though the sixties.

That version would be good for this.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Microsoft office(probably rtf ?)
I believe he said "Microsoft Office , Excel, and PowerPoint". So "office" might imply MS Word.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I believe he said "Microsoft Office , Excel, and PowerPoint". So "office" might imply MS Word.
=X=
Since this is a WinCE device, it may be using MS Office Mobile software. I'm not sure which pieces of this can be used with WinCE, as opposed to Windows Mobile.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Since this is running either WinCE 5.0 or 6.0, it should come with viewers for Excel, Powerpoint, and Word. It might even come with IE7. These 4 things are standard in the later versions of WinCE.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Looks to be an interesting piece of hardware. I'm curious to see what they'll end up doing with it.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
lines on the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I hope that is an older prototype. (*points to the line in the screen*)
i have seen those in most of there demos - i think it is a manufacturing challenge they have not overcome yet and perhaps why we will not see these until 2010
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I think that price for this device will be close to iREX price that is much more expensive than cost of many other eBook readers available on the marker now.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
That has to be one of the worst photographed videos I've ever seen. Talk about terrible lighting. Plus a lack of any zoom onto the device itself. I really couldn't tell anything at all from that.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I doubt it's going to cost 500. I think at least 700!
I think because the screen resolution, and size looks like 2x Sony e-ink screens.
Plus they have to pay licensing fees to Adobe, Microsoft and other file format programs.
Then there's the thickness of the device, which also should host a wifi and sufficient powerful battery. out of the ordinary sized batteries will most likely cost more then standard ones.

the design of the case seems fully be made out of plastic, or fiberoptic.

Also their delay costs lots of money, paying the research and development.

Probably there where still issues with the controls; every review I read of the plastic logics reader seems to have issues with pageswapping.

I estimate the PR to be closer to 750,or perhaps even 800!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Nice. I can't wait until devices like this are more common. I wouldn't buy one now as someone pointed out - not for pleasure reading (and I doubt much in the way of reasonable ebook selections) but it'd be GREAT for PDFs, documents, journals, etc.

But that isn't worth that much now. But maybe in a few years when I'm in grad school! :grins:
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote