Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #376
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Packt's daily free ebook today is Learning Robotics using Python.

Packt says that it is "one of their most popular robotics books."

Claim this freebie at https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning, but be sure that you get it done before tomorrow at 7 p.m. USA ET, when the choice changes over to something else.

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #377
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Packt's free ebook of the day is Learning Robotics Using Python.

Packt states that this is "one of our most popular robotics books."

Claim your freebie at https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning, but be sure to do it before the selection changes over to a different free ebook at 7 p.m. USA ET.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #378
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Hourly History shorts, free

Richard Nixon: A Life From Beginning to End

Rosa Parks: The Woman Who Ignited a Movement

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...Hourly+History
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #379
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Packt is giving away a copy of Learning Python Application Development.

This is one of their daily free ebook giveaways.

The free offer for this ebook ends at 7 p.m. U.S. ET tomorrow, Saturday, May 20.

https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
Old 05-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #380
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99 from HarperCollins for today only (May 20th) according to the newsletter, in Canada & US (should be the same price at all the usual retailers):

The Lost Landscape: A Writer's Coming of Age by National Book Award-winning author Joyce Carol Oates (Wikipedia), a memoir of her early life and formative literary experiences.

Written with the raw honesty and poignant insight that were the hallmarks of her acclaimed bestseller A Widow’s Story, an affecting and observant memoir of growing up from one of our finest and most beloved literary masters.

The Lost Landscape is Joyce Carol Oates’ vivid chronicle of her hardscrabble childhood in rural western New York State. From memories of her relatives, to those of a charming bond with a special red hen on her family farm; from her first friendships to her earliest experiences with death, The Lost Landscape is a powerful evocation of the romance of childhood, and its indelible influence on the woman and the writer she would become.

In this exceptionally candid, moving, and richly reflective account, Oates explores the world through the eyes of her younger self, an imaginative girl eager to tell stories about the world and the people she meets. While reading Alice in Wonderland changed a young Joyce forever and inspired her to view life as a series of endless adventures, growing up on a farm taught her harsh lessons about sacrifice, hard work, and loss. With searing detail and an acutely perceptive eye, Oates renders her memories and emotions with exquisite precision, transporting us to a forgotten place and time—the lost landscape of her youth, reminding us of the forgotten landscapes of our own earliest lives.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #381
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I appreciate Packt's daily free ebook giveaway (look for another one after 7 p.m. ET U.S. today). I hope that there are peeps on MobileRead to whom those books are useful.

Anyway, I just learned that their direct competitor, O'Reilly Media has some 279 free ebooks on various computer and other (such as general business) topics. Do not adjust your set (anyone under about 55 years of age won't understand what I'm talking about. ha)--that's 279.

I've got to send you to a couple of different websites in order for you to see all of them: http://http://www.oreilly.com/free/reports.html and http://www.oreilly.com/programming/f...programming_ac.

Flash! I just ran across 20 more free books from O'Reilly, not directly related to computers, these being on the subject of design: http://www.oreilly.com/design/free/?...free_report_ac.

I think that I saw somewhere that these are in the PDF format. I don't know if any of them would be available in other formats or not. To be honest, I haven't downloaded any of them. None of the subjects are of interest to me, except for perhaps as a drug-free alternative to Sominex, on those nights when I just can't get to sleep . . . .
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #382
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Packt's free ebook of the day, which continues free until 7 p.m. ET U.S. tomorrow, is Practical Machine Learning.

Head to this webpage in order to get the ebook.

If you don't have an account with Packt, I think that you will have to register first. However, once you've registered, you do not have to log in when you visit the webpage (why can't all ebook vendors do this? It probably helps that the folks at Packt are experts at coding . . . .).

Packt maintains a library, at their website, of the books that you have purchased from them. You might wish to visit the thread, "If You Had a Library with WTS Books, It's GONE Now!" in the E-Book General forum, and other relevant threads, in that forum and others, to read about the importance of downloading and backing up ebooks located on the ebook companies' websites.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #383
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Anyway, I just learned that their direct competitor, O'Reilly Media has some 279 free ebooks on various computer and other (such as general business) topics. Do not adjust your set (anyone under about 55 years of age won't understand what I'm talking about. ha)--that's 279.
Good reminder. I have gone to their site many times, but probably not in the last year. I was able to find 12 of their Design books for free, and design can be fun, even if you don't actually build the thing (physically or virtually) at the end.

I got 12 of their books, 5 in *.PDF and 7 as *.epub, so it looks like a mixed bag for file types. I hate PDF-only book availability less for technical or photo books, and with some book contest, may actually turn out better in PDF.
LJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #384
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
On sale today at Amazon.ca

Mozart's Starling by Lyanda Lynn Haupt for $CDN 2.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Mozarts-Starli.../dp/B01LL8BU7Q
The Amazon blurb:
"On May 27th, 1784, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart met a flirtatious little starling in a Viennese shop who sang an improvised version of the theme from his Piano Concerto no. 17 in G major. Sensing a kindred spirit in the plucky young bird, Mozart bought him and took him home to be a family pet. For three years, the starling lived with Mozart, influencing his work and serving as his companion, distraction, consolation, and muse.

Two centuries later, starlings are reviled by even the most compassionate conservationists. A nonnative, invasive species, they invade sensitive habitats, outcompete local birds for nest sites and food, and decimate crops. A seasoned birder and naturalist, Lyanda Lynn Haupt is well versed in the difficult and often strained relationships these birds have with other species and the environment. But after rescuing a baby starling of her own, Haupt found herself enchanted by the same intelligence and playful spirit that had so charmed her favorite composer.

In Mozart's Starling, Haupt explores the unlikely and remarkable bond between one of history's most cherished composers and one of earth's most common birds. The intertwined stories of Mozart's beloved pet and Haupt's own starling provide an unexpected window into human-animal friendships, music, the secret world of starlings, and the nature of creative inspiration. A blend of natural history, biography, and memoir, Mozart's Starling is a tour de force that awakens a surprising new awareness of our place in the world."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #385
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson View Post
Good reminder. I have gone to their site many times, but probably not in the last year. I was able to find 12 of their Design books for free, and design can be fun, even if you don't actually build the thing (physically or virtually) at the end.

I got 12 of their books, 5 in *.PDF and 7 as *.epub, so it looks like a mixed bag for file types. I hate PDF-only book availability less for technical or photo books, and with some book contest, may actually turn out better in PDF.
Thanks for letting me know of their usefulness to you!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #386
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Charles River Editors, free

The Hermitage Museum: The History and Legacy of Russia's Famous Art and Culture Icon

Delphi: The History of the Ancient Greek Sanctuary and Home to the World's Most Famous Oracle

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #387
Little.Egret
Wizard

Hourly History shorts, Free

Latest

Queen Elizabeth I: A Life From Beginning to End

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...Hourly+History
Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #388
Little.Egret
Wizard

Charles River Editors, free

The New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt: The History and Legacy of the Egyptian Empire at the Peak of Its Power

Still free

Ares: The Origins and History of the Greek God of War

Delphi: The History of the Ancient Greek Sanctuary and Home to the World's Most Famous Oracle

The Hermitage Museum: The History and Legacy of Russia's Famous Art and Culture Icon

See all

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Old 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #389
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99-$2.99 for history/memoir/biography from assorted imprints in Canada & presumably also the US (prices should be the same at most retailers):

@ $1.99 each from Open Road Media (couponable/VIP-eligible @ Kobo):

@ $1.99 from non-couponable publishers including Crown/Archetype, HarperCollins (tend to rotate at the end of the week, so possibly only good through tomorrow and maybe Monday), Penguin Books, etc.:

@ $2.99 from HarperCollins:

Blitzkrieg: From the Rise of Hitler to the Fall of Dunkirk by master spy novelist and former RAF pilot Len Deighton (Wikipedia), a non-fiction account of Exactly What It Says In The Title. This is a pretty nice edition, with a new (circa 2014) retrospective foreword by the author, and also a foreword by the book designer about creating a unified cover design for the reprints of Deighton's assorted non-fiction titles, if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-27-2017 at 06:37 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #390
Avice
Zealot
Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski — $2.99 at US Kindle and Kobo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NNUYCO
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-q...-united-states
Avice is offline   Reply With Quote