Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #17926
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My current read is a rather interesting book so far. It's Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

Quote:
Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned to save him. Dana is drawn back repeatedly through time to the slave quarters, and each time the stay grows longer, more arduous, and more dangerous until it is uncertain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has a chance to begin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #17927
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, Mort isn't available yet
Where is it you live that an eBook edition of Mort is not available?
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #17928
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where is it you live that an eBook edition of Mort is not available?

It wasn't available from my library yet
, so I read something else.

Welcome back!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #17929
Ranny
Connoisseur
Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ranny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just finished ' House of Evidence, by 'Viktor Amar Ingolfsson' very readable also previously enjoyed his 'Flatey Enigma'.

Just starting 'Big Maria' by ' Johnny Shaw' guess I must have picked it up as a daily deal some time ago as it doesn't seem to be a book I would have paid full price for.

Also have 'The Honourable Schoolboy' by 'John LeCarre' and 'Sepulchre' by 'Kate Mosse' to get read in the near future as I have both follow ons as audiobooks.

John LeCarre never appealed years ago but certainly enjoying them now.
Ranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #17930
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I originally read this some time ago, but realized when I started to read the second in the series, The Wise Man's Fear, which was sitting in my TBR, that I had really forgotten way too much. So, I'm doing a full re-read, switching back and forth between eBook and audio book, and enjoying it very much. Sadly we're all still waiting for the third book in the series.
The reason you've forgotten so much about The Name of the Wind is because it's not all that memorable. I've read it so I do now this to be true and it is highly overrated.
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #17931
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Reading "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore.

I'm finding it hilarious but it's possible you may find it blasphemous. Be forewarned.
I read that and rather enjoyed it. Very good read. And the more blasphemous it got, the better it was.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #17932
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
After finishing The Forever War I decided to take a break from the hugo/nebula winners and catch up a bit on my Star Trek reading. I haven't read any in quite a while so wasn't sure where to start. I had started reading The Great Gatsbay, but it just didn't seem to hold my interest. Although, it is a pretty short book.

I looked at some more recent ones and found what seems to be a mini series of 4 books that was fairly recent.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory: Book One

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: Silent Weapons: Book Two

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Body Electric: Book Three

I was only planning to buy the first one, but when I saw that they were each $.99 on the Kindle store I just bought all three.

The pro-log seemed to say the first one takes place after the Last Next Gen movie.

I started the first book, so far so good. I think David Mack is the author of several other Trek books I have enjoyed.

BOb
The Star Trek eBooks that are follow from this set (in published order) are...

Star Trek - TOS - Allegiance in Exile
Star Trek - TOS - Devil's Bargain
Star Trek - TNG - The Stuff of Dreams
Star Trek - TOS - Weight of Worlds
Star Trek - TOS - The Shocks of Adversity
Star Trek - ENT - Rise of the Federation-A Choice of Futures
Star Trek - TOS - The Folded World
Star Trek - TOS - From History's Shadow
Star Trek - Fall 01 - Revelation and Dust
Star Trek - Fall 02 - The Crimson Shadow
Old 10-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #17933
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
My current read is a rather interesting book so far. It's Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

Oooh, that looks good. Definitely going to go on my TBR list.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #17934
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
I read that and rather enjoyed it. Very good read. And the more blasphemous it got, the better it was.
Just picked this up at my e-library. I'll definitely need a laugh after reading the latest Nicholas Sparks offering ("Safe Haven").
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #17935
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
These days, it can be hard to tell a true western vs a western romance unless the cover is clearly of the romance type. A western romance is a stay the heck away type.
Have you read The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour? It is not a western. It is set in the 13th century Europe and The Middle East. I think it was his best book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #17936
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The December Asimov's was only so-so. Moving on to the December Analog.
Which was much better. I leave the serial until I can read it in one go, but the shorts were all good, and some were very good.

Next up: Not sure. I'll decide on my bus home.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #17937
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My goal is to gradually acclimate my brain to his increasingly complex syntax
Then give Finnegans Wake a go. It'll give your brain something that's complex.

This is from a review of this tomb...

Quote:
As I understand it, the book consists of one single word of approximately 550,000 letters. It's the work of linguistic gobbledegook that all other works of linguistic gobbledegook reverentially call "The Supreme Being". Within days of publication, an entire Finnegans Wake-based industry had sprung up in academia, with eggheads under such pressures of production that they had to sub-contract much of the meta-textual and semiotic analysis work to factories in the Far East. For the rest of the literate world, however, it has remained an impenetrable morass of fevered gibberish, stylistic showing-off and made-up words that you can't even check in the dictionary.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #17938
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The other stories were also excellent. Unfortunately, the formatting of the ebook is terrible - fixed font size and forced margins. But I'm still glad I bought it.
It seems Phoenix Picks cannot make well done eBooks to save their lives. The underlying code is atrocious. This has nothing to do with the stories.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #17939
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
I hope you do know that this is not the first book in the Oxford Time Travel Series. The first book is Fire Watch.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #17940
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think of Fire Watch as more of a pilot episode. I don't believe it is quite canon.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote