Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #46
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing that may be new to some is that 5.12.3 cannot be jailbroken.
*sob*
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So for those who bought a Kindle because you thought it could be jailbroken, it may be time to move on. It's possible you may never be able to jailbreak a kindle on 5.12.2 or later going forward.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #48
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So for those who bought a Kindle because you thought it could be jailbroken, it may be time to move on. It's possible you may never be able to jailbreak a kindle on 5.12.2 or later going forward.
speaking for myself, I buy ereaders to read on. that said, loved having the book covers as screen savers. really glad that Kobo offers that.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
One thing that may be new to some is that 5.12.3 cannot be jailbroken.
That depends. PW4 is still workable for now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #50
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That depends. PW4 is still workable for now.
the most recent PW release is not jailbreakable, right?

eta: even if not registered and new in the box
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
speaking for myself, I buy ereaders to read on. that said, loved having the book covers as screen savers. really glad that Kobo offers that.
I expect most do.

One reason I chose Kindles despite the unknown JB status is I prefer the round edged chassis of the Paperwhite compared to the sharper corners on the Kobos I've tried. The default/native reader on Kindles also work well enough for me plus indexing time aside, I love having library-wide, full fuzzy text search. Makes it easier to find fanfics even when all I remember are short snippets.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #52
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
I expect most do.

One reason I chose Kindles despite the unknown JB status is I prefer the round edged chassis of the Paperwhite compared to the sharper corners on the Kobos I've tried. The default/native reader on Kindles also work well enough for me plus indexing time aside, I love having library-wide, full fuzzy text search. Makes it easier to find fanfics even when all I remember are short snippets.
there are many reasons I prefer Kindles, including the ones you mentioned. it's why I have stayed with them all these years. that said, they are getting handsy now and that just ticks me off.

turning on my wifi without my input is a big no no and way too big brother for me. I will leave their ecosystem if it happens again.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #53
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I'm perfectly content with the current ability of the Oasis 3, and other models too of course, to render and format books. In the early days when the eInk screens were very low resolution and had dark backgrounds and Kindles had almost no formatting options, then I was not content at all, and basically had to spend a lot of time deDRMing and modifying books to make them easier to read on those early eInk readers. I actually preferred the Sony readers in those days. But today Kindles have much better text formatting options and way better eInk screens, so now I can simply read and not worry about having to modify books.

I understand the urge to hack stuff, after all I grew up in the era when hackers like the Woz were starting to build home computers and when you had to program your own apps because the home PC software market had not yet taken hold. I no longer have to hack in order to modify books and Kindles so I can read without getting a headache. So today I’ve no desire to spend time JBing anything, and I really don’t need to any more. Heck, in old age I’m not even interested in spending time to use calibre. I can easily find my books on the Amazon Cloud, and thankfully I still have a great memory that probably does better categorizing and ordering my library than calibre anyway. In this stage of life, quickly approaching the Winter thereof, it seems rather wasteful to spend a lot of time making minor and superficial tweaks that don't offer much improvement. Heck, back in the mid-1990s I used to read books on a Palm Pilot which had only a 160px x 160px screen! So I can darn sure make do with what Kindle technology has to offer right out of the box today. Of course in the 1990s my eyes were still just middle-aged!

Last edited by OtinG; 12-09-2019 at 11:40 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've never been interested in jailbreaking either, though I modify my books rather heavily in Calibre. Calibre does all I need with my books, so that I don't need to hack my device. I do use the FONT_RAMP tweak for custom font sizes on all my Kindles, but that doesn't require jailbreaking.

I did install custom screensavers on my Kobo and patched it pretty heavily to get as good a reading experience as possible. But there are more things I dislike on an unpatched Kobo than there are on the Kindles.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
there are many reasons I prefer Kindles, including the ones you mentioned. it's why I have stayed with them all these years. that said, they are getting handsy now and that just ticks me off.

turning on my wifi without my input is a big no no and way too big brother for me. I will leave their ecosystem if it happens again.
My Kindles are kept on 5.10.1.3 or older and seem to be behaving.

Well, I have a KT4 on 5.11.0 but that's never been connected to wi-fi anyway and it was intended mostly as a throw-away device I can bring on trips without worry.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I expect most do.

My H2O has rounded corners.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #57
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It is true that there might never be a new kindle jailbreak, but the PW3 lost the ability for software jailbeak, stayed that way for quite a while, then 5.9.6.1 happened.

I think something similar on a shorter time scale happened with the PW4.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
My H2O has rounded corners.
It still differs from the rounding on the Paperwhites. From pics, the back curves toward the edges but the edges are still flat. The PW curves into the front bezel. Plus, back texture looks to be too rough for my liking.

Besides, I still prefer Kindle's software (limited as it may be) to Kobo Nickel.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is true that there might never be a new kindle jailbreak, but the PW3 lost the ability for software jailbeak, stayed that way for quite a while, then 5.9.6.1 happened.

I think something similar on a shorter time scale happened with the PW4.
Actually, PW3 factory 5.9.6.1 happened because I learned how to extract PW4 factory 5.10.0.2 thanks to @coplate and Amazon was doing a clearance sale on the PW3s Cyber Monday/Week 2018.

Amazon never really fixed the factory jb vulnerability back then. We just didn't have newer factory firmware versions to use it on after Amazon started blocking unsigned firmware and added downgrade checks.

Sadly, they've fixed that now on 5.11.x and higher.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The H2O also happens to be chunky as hell compared to a PW . That's obviously not the case of a Forma, on the other hand.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote