Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
How can I read Barns & Noble books on my Sony 700?

I loaded two books at Barns & Noble yesterday and thought they would be in epub. But after downloading them on my PC via B&N reader software I saw that they are pdb files.

I tried to transfer them via Calibre on my Sony PRS 700 reader, but it did not work. I could not change them into epub.

Is it possible to read this book somehow on my Sony? I can read them on my iPhone with the B&N software, but it would be more comfortable to read them on my regular reader.

Thanks for any help
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What you have are eReader books. They cannot be read on the Sony without removing the DRM. I'm afraid that even if you had bought ePub books from B&N, you still wouldn't be able to read them on your Sony; B&N are using their own DRM mechanism for ePub which nobody else currently supports.

I suggest you treat it as a "learning experience", and avoid B&N in the future, at least as far as buying books for your Sony is concerned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
However, after removing the DRM they look very nice on the Reader and you can reformat them.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Do a search for ereader2html
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
What grooks says is correct, and it does work..... but....... a word of warning.... I have found the pdb "ereader2html" to be the most difficult DRM to remove. Yes, you can do it, but you end up doing it from a command line which takes you back to the days of DOS. (heck, some of you might not be old enough to even know that before there was "Windows" operating system, there was Dos..... a MAJOR PITA")

I just stay away form B&N, too much headache, and Kobo is so much better (IMHO)
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Barnes and Noble WAS offering epubs but appear to have (temporarily?) switched back completely to pdb due to the problem that certain of their mobile phone readers didn't actually support epub files. People who purchased books and got epub and redownloaded them are now getting pdb files.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...pdb/m-p/440125

Nobody knows if you'll be eventually able to redownload the same content in epub or not in the future, or if the format will only apply for new purchases once they switch back over.

Personally, even though I have a Sony I was finding it EXTREMELY useful to download book samples (in Epub format) from Barnes and Noble, which were not DRM'd, in order to preview how the epub would work on my device. Now all the samples are pdb as well, so I'm just waiting it out until they switch back. Keep an eye out for an update to their mobile reader software; I'd expect that to precede any switch back to epub.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Thanks for your answers. Hm, to bad, that they changed the files. Guess I have to wait than, cuz I cannot remove the DRM
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I don't think waiting is going to help you. I think Barnes and Noble uses a different epub DRM that is not compatible with Sony.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that B&N decided to use a different DRM for ePub then the rest of the world. And it seem that the programs that B&N wrote to read ePub are not all that wonderful. So the switch is to go back to eReader instead of doing the smart thing and switching the DRM on their ePub to the same one everyone else uses. So basically, some of the reasons for getting a nook have just been negated because B&N have their heads firmly planted up their ass as far as ePub goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I just loaded Ereader on to my desktop & read those stories on my PC. I'm not going to give up good reading just because I can't put them on my reader. I will have plenty of both formats to read.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Barnes and Noble WAS offering epubs but appear to have (temporarily?) switched back completely to pdb due to the problem that certain of their mobile phone readers didn't actually support epub files. People who purchased books and got epub and redownloaded them are now getting pdb files.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...pdb/m-p/440125

Nobody knows if you'll be eventually able to redownload the same content in epub or not in the future, or if the format will only apply for new purchases once they switch back over.

Personally, even though I have a Sony I was finding it EXTREMELY useful to download book samples (in Epub format) from Barnes and Noble, which were not DRM'd, in order to preview how the epub would work on my device. Now all the samples are pdb as well, so I'm just waiting it out until they switch back. Keep an eye out for an update to their mobile reader software; I'd expect that to precede any switch back to epub.
I have noticed that if I use a browser to download the books, I get the PDB files almost exclusively, but if I use their desktop reader software, then more often than not I get the EPUB (I tried last week with a bunch of samples of older books). Also I have just bought a book that was released today and the browser download brought in the PDB file, while the B&N reader brought in the EPUB file. So it appears that EPUB has not been dumped completely.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote