Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #1711
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
FYI--the last album of the three choices in Naxos current promotion is instrumental and vocal, "sacred" music. That may be to your liking or disliking, but I felt that it would be nice to give people a "heads up" about it.

A question: does anyone know of an easy way to get the samples to automatically progress in the Naxos albums in this promotion (or anytime that it doesn't happen automatically). As it is, I either have to sit and wait for each sample to play, and then manually click on the next track in order to listen to it, or go from one tab back to the Naxos tab every few seconds. I know that what I have in mind can be done, because I've used websites which do that. However that feature may involve the coding, which none of us probably can do anything about, or just can't be done for some other reason. But it sure would be nice.

No answer for you, but I will say that I have given up on getting anything free from them. Their screwed-up site isn't worth pursuing anymore - for me - and I've had it with them.

No more.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #1712
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
No answer for you, but I will say that I have given up on getting anything free from them. Their screwed-up site isn't worth pursuing anymore - for me - and I've had it with them.

No more.
Wow. I felt that way about 3 or 4 months ago, when I experienced a problem, but things have gone (fairly) smoothly since.

The process of getting the second album (one-of-three), especially, does seems way more convoluted than necessary.

I did get a response from the customer service in Hong Kong, and the lady was able to fix my problem. But, it took several days (partly because basically when it's day here, it's night there).

I hope that kind of problem doesn't occur again, but I'm willing to take the chance in order to get two high-quality (composition & performance on the first one, and composition, performance, and formatting on the second one) classical albums.

As far as dealing with Naxos is concerned, we almost don't have any choice, on some level. I've noticed that many of these seemingly independent classical music companies are actually Naxos companies. They must be a big operation.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #1713
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdt View Post
Amazon has free rental of National Geographic video LA '92 (no idea how long this will last, maybe today only).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP7KGW...923520_TE_M1DP

"Marking the 25th anniversary of the Los Angeles riots, LA92 immerses viewers in that tumultuous period through rarely-seen archival footage." (1 hr., 54 min.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And now free to own at vudu.
http://www.vudu.com/movies/Movies_iP...t/864270/LA-92
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #1714
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Glad to see Vudu finally got it up. They advertised it by email the other day, but the link & searching led nowhere.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #1715
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=keithdt;3517232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Thank you for posting this, and thanks to other MobileReaders for posting the film's other outlets. FYI, depending upon whether one is renting the film at Amazon, Google, or Microsoft, one is given 14-30 days to begin watching it, and once having started one must complete the viewing within 24-48 hours. However, there's an additional, more flexible option: one can also watch it free of charge, sans the above-mentioned temporal restrictions, at NatGeo's official YouTube channel, at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaotkHlHJwo[/QUOTEAs

As another option, this video is now available on Vudu, not as a rental but as free to own.
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/864270/LA-92
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 02:09 AM   #1716
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am amazed at the interest in this video. Were some of you not alive (or not old enough to know what was going on) when it happened? Why do some of you find this video so special???

Everyone was glued to their TV sets when it happened then. And, there's probably plenty of video on YouTube, Vimeo, etc., etc. about it.

Is it the "rarely-seen archival footage" that is the attraction? The video might be "rarely-seen" because it ended up on the cutting room floor (during editing) when the event happened!

Don't get me wrong--I appreciate Vudu and whoever else ends up giving the video away. It did cost something in this day and time to produce the video.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #1717
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
I am amazed at the interest in this video. Were some of you not alive (or not old enough to know what was going on) when it happened? Why do some of you find this video so special???
We all change to some degree as we age, as does the world around us. I think it's useful and important to re-examine the big events that happen during our lifetimes, and this documentary provides a good way to do that for this particular event.

I was 16 when the LA Riots happened. I remember it, of course, but I didn't have the life experience to truly understand it or what it meant. I was also in my own personal hell at the time, so the outside world was pretty fuzzy around the edges for me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #1718
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
We all change to some degree as we age, as does the world around us. I think it's useful and important to re-examine the big events that happen during our lifetimes, and this documentary provides a good way to do that for this particular event.

I was 16 when the LA Riots happened. I remember it, of course, but I didn't have the life experience to truly understand it or what it meant. I was also in my own personal hell at the time, so the outside world was pretty fuzzy around the edges for me.
I'm not sure if I'll watch the video, but it was a unique experience for me. I was on a project in Irvine and stayed that night at the Best Western in El Toro, where we watched on TV in the bar. It was crowded and I shared a table with a "local" from La Jolla and a tourist couple from Scotland. The local was cynical and found the whole thing thoroughly entertaining. The Scots were completely dumbfounded at what was happening only a few miles away.

The bartender kept changing channels. It seemed like LA news crews were competing to see who could probe deeper into the riot zone. One woman reporter stood at an intersection with no power, a burning building, a car with a body in it. No police or fire responders in sight. Shots were heard and the cameraman first turned to see where they came from, then when answering shots came from the opposite direction, the crew ran for their lives with the camera still going.

The next morning I drove up the 405 to Simi Valley. With all the downtown businesses closed, traffic was almost nonexistent instead of the usual parking lot, and smoke everywhere - it was like a scene from a science fiction movie.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #1719
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I'm not sure if I'll watch the video, but it was a unique experience for me. I was on a project in Irvine and stayed that night at the Best Western in El Toro, where we watched on TV in the bar. It was crowded and I shared a table with a "local" from La Jolla and a tourist couple from Scotland. The local was cynical and found the whole thing thoroughly entertaining. The Scots were completely dumbfounded at what was happening only a few miles away.

The bartender kept changing channels. It seemed like LA news crews were competing to see who could probe deeper into the riot zone. One woman reporter stood at an intersection with no power, a burning building, a car with a body in it. No police or fire responders in sight. Shots were heard and the cameraman first turned to see where they came from, then when answering shots came from the opposite direction, the crew ran for their lives with the camera still going.

The next morning I drove up the 405 to Simi Valley. With all the downtown businesses closed, traffic was almost nonexistent instead of the usual parking lot, and smoke everywhere - it was like a scene from a science fiction movie.
Yeah, not everyone is like me (be thankful. ha!). I appreciate hearing your different perspectives.

I don't think that I watched much of the coverage when it happened. It was not that I didn't care, wasn't worried, etc. I don't know how to explain it, unless it's that there was only so much that I could stand.

My interest in the events of 9/11 were like that. There was only so much that I could stand. I watched the coverage for a while, then went to get lunch. I was in a fog the whole day, but didn't turn on the TV all that much the rest of the day. Basically just caught the sound bites and video clips later on.

I can't stand to re-live disasters, although, interestingly, I'd like to visit the 9/11 museum ,on site (World Trade Center site, not the Pentagon site so much), one of these days.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-07-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #1720
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Well, perhaps a quarter of the population wasn't. For millennials, those that were probably were watching Sesame Street.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #1721
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Well, perhaps a quarter of the population wasn't. For millennials, those that were probably were watching Sesame Street.
Yeah, that's it. That's what I was doing, too. I'm a millenial! hahahahah

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #1722
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The worst part about the 1-out-of-3 Naxos giveaway each month, to me, is picking out the one that I want to keep.

If I was more familiar with classical music, or even classical composers, it might come easier. But all of that will come with time . . . .

I know that all of you, however, have been waiting with bated breath to know my selection, since I have spent so much time and effort in deliberation. In a way, this month was easier, because I almost immediately threw out Wesley: Anthems. It's not because I'm not religious--I am. But, I generally don't like chants. I can't even understand the songs. Are they in Latin? I dunno.

The envelope, please . . . though I am more of a San Jose State University person, I selected Stanford . . . . Stanford: Chamber Music. There are a few tracks that I might have to expunge from my hard drive, but overall I thought this one to be the better one of the two remaining. It was a tough decision.

[Political comment removed - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-08-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #1723
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know that I'll do this every week, but I thought that I would mention it, and see how well it goes over.

If you are subscribed to FreeGal (through your public library), your five choices of free tracks for the week expire tonight at about 12 midnight U.S. ET.

Although there are some big holes in their selection (some publishers and/or artists choose not to participate), there is still an enormous selection of popular hits, especially those up to, it seems,to around 1990-2000. Plus, there are many other genres represented (classical is weak) like jazz, rock, elevator music (easy listening).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-07-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #1724
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
You only get 5 freegal tracks? I get 7... :P

They email me every week to remind me and I still never think to go download stuff. I really should get better about that. They've got some Big Band stuff I don't already own.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #1725
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You only get 5 freegal tracks? I get 7... :P

They email me every week to remind me and I still never think to go download stuff. I really should get better about that. They've got some Big Band stuff I don't already own.
You know, I wondered if it might differ according the subscription level that a library had. We had a 3 per week limit up to about, oh, say 2 1/2 years ago. Something like that. At the time, I thought that that was purely FreeGal's doing (in response to, or to hold off) competition, perhaps.

Well, if I continue to advise peeps, I'll just leave the number out. Just say something like, "your FreeGal free songs for the week," or something like that.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call our library to complain about how cheap they are, not giving us 7 per week. hahah

Actually, there have been times when I had trouble coming up with 5 per week that I thought that I wanted. My most recent choices were of "one hit wonders" (I Googled those terms to find a list or two). There were some really good hits among them! Then, sometimes a song will pop into mind that I hadn't heard in a long time, and I try to remember it until I have a chance to write it down. Just this morning, something made me think of the song that said, "I'm a leavin' on a jet plane . . . I don't know when I'll be back again." Old song now (I think that jet commercial aircraft must not have been ubiquitous at the time). I don't know who the singer is; I've had better success searching by song, then by artist, anyway.

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere