Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
'The innocence of Android fans'

Quote:
And how in the course of a year did I go from Android evangelist to Android fatalist?
Quote:
The problem I have with Android as it stands today, at least from those of us who became full-blown fans and expoused the benefits of it to our friends, family and co-workers -- is that the second it leaves Google's code repository and is made avaliable to OEMs and wireless carriers, who then make derivative products out of it, it goes from being kosher to being trayf.

What I'm trying to get at is there is a perfect image of what Android is supposed to be, what Google and Android's staunchest adherents purport it to be, and then there is Android as it is practiced in reality.

Android as it is being sold to you by OEMs and wireless carriers is a lie. It is Android interpreted and regurgitated as perverted scripture from false prophets.
Fearsome picture not included.

I do wish the OS upgrades were delinked from the carrier. Who thought that was a good idea??

http://www.zdnet.com/the-innocence-o...ns-7000004667/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I do wish the OS upgrades were delinked from the carrier. Who thought that was a good idea??
Probably the same people who had to deal with Linux patches getting rejected by upstream for truly stupid reasons. I think the best was, "Well, we can fix this in the kernel, but the problem is caused by a non-standards-compliant BIOS and we don't see any reason to patch something that the hardware manufacturer should've set up right in the first place. Patch rejected, bug declared invalid."

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
'The innocence of Android fans'
Perhaps you should write about the "Innocence of Tech Fans."

Ever-waiting the next solution that actually does always work wonderfully.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
There is always Nexus for the purists.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
As stated in the commits in the article the real problem with Android is the carriers (Verizon / AT&T ).
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
of that he says:

Quote:
So being the technology writer I am, and wanting to stay current with the industry, I used my wife's Verizon handset upgrade -- which had become avaliable around the time of the Galaxy Nexus's release -- to purchase a Galaxy Nexus.
Quote:
Everyone was happy.

Well, not really. I soon discovered that the Galaxy Nexus was rife with bugs. The device crashed constantly and I am now on my second hardware replacement because I've had two lemon phones in a row, according to Verizon's tech support.

The Jelly Bean update that the so-called Google Experience "pure" Android phone was supposed to get months ago? It's finally rolling out from Verizon this week, after Google got it out to GSM Galaxy Nexus customers in Europe got it back in early July.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm in Europe, hence completely bliss about the vagaries of Verizon.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Perhaps you should write about the "Innocence of Tech Fans."

Ever-waiting the next solution that actually does always work wonderfully.
Define wonderfully. I just finished playing a DOS game released in 1989. It played wonderfully. Before that, I was ripping DVDs to MP4s that could be streamed to my SMP-N200. Both the ripping and the streaming work wonderfully. As I type this, I'm watching TV on my PC and when I'm done I'm going to video chat with my college student. Earlier this morning, I paid some bills on my PC, checked the weather, and browsed the news.

Yesterday, my youngest and I used a PC to find some study guides for Catcher in the Rye and effortlessly search a PDF of the book for references for a paper. We composed, edited, and spell checked the paper using a computer. Later today, I will install SmartMusic on his PC so that he can practice his viola with a program that tracks his tones and pace. Pretty wonderful, no?

Tomorrow, I'll telecommute. I brought home a laptop, but I could have used my PC to securely work from home.

None of this has happened by accident. A lot of people and companies have collaborated to create this wonderfulness. There have been bumps, but people who have contributed nothing to this accomplishment really should sincerely appreciate the magic that they can buy for a couple hundred dollars off an internet retailer on their wonderful computer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Or CyanogenMod for those who want non-Nexii devices to run stock.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I'm in Europe, hence completely bliss about the vagaries of Verizon.
Hurrah!!! Me too!
But, I will be in the USA for the next three weeks, using the US T-Mobile network with my unlocked Sensation 4G.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
of that he says:
Quote:
Everyone was happy.

Well, not really. I soon discovered that the Galaxy Nexus was rife with bugs. The device crashed constantly and I am now on my second hardware replacement because I've had two lemon phones in a row, according to Verizon's tech support.

The Jelly Bean update that the so-called Google Experience "pure" Android phone was supposed to get months ago? It's finally rolling out from Verizon this week, after Google got it out to GSM Galaxy Nexus customers in Europe got it back in early July.
How is Verizon blocking an update an Android problem?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
He believes that Google *allowing* unsavory behavior is an android problem.

BTW, the title of the thread worries me.
Are we going to have to evacuate under fire from angry true believers?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

Why does Google grant Verizon power to decide what goes on hardware?

Silly idea!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, I saw Perlow's earlier post this week but thought it would too inflamatory to reference, but all things considered, here:
http://www.zdnet.com/without-radical...ie-7000004311/

Now, I'll quietly retreat to my fallout shelter and hope the Overseer doesn't go wacko.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
too much vitriol for too little cosmetic changes

I'm not an evangelist, though. I live by "live and let die". Pick your poison and get off my lawn.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote