Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
apos
Zealot
apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: 623 Touch Lux, 912 Pro (selled), Surfpad 4 L, Waiting for CAD-Reader !
New wiki page: [Sotware -> EBook reader devices] to come ... please contribute

Hi there,

being relatively new to the mobileread.com community, I spent the last 2 weeks mangling around with the forum .

Searching threads over and over to get everything done was very very exhausting - but I got the thingy running

About forums usage

A forum is good for discussion, talking about stuff, get informed about the latest news, quickly get ready with answers and so on. But threads spread, major themes get more and more difficult to handle the more the count of posts and pages grows.

About wiki usage

Coming from the open source land ( others too ) I am used to centralize my activities within wikis. That's why I am active in some other wikis and running two ones by myslef. A wiki is a better place for keeping the results on a single point of entry, everyone can contribute at that single page (and also shoot everything down ... I'm joking ) and keep everything up to date in a more clear manner.

So I discoverd that we already have the the mobileread wiki. The mediawiki syntax should be no problem, even for newbies. But people that are used to just "short reply" in a forum will have probably some difficulties dealing with a little bit discipline creating clear pages (in terms of usability) and keeping an eye on correct linking.

A new wiki entry point for ereader device software

To make it short: after a talk to Dale from the mobileread head, he will make a link to an entry point for Software for EBook reader devices.

Why? There are wiki pages for Software of any kind, but not for the Software for the EBook reader device itself (programs, firmware, SDK's). There also is an excellent Development Hub with Trac system, which I did'nt recognized to be used - please correct me if I am wrong -, when it came to search software or firmware to my own device, a Pocketbook Pro model.

Everything seams to be organised in the forum which forces one to invest an enormous amount of time to get things done. If it would be possible to collect the results in the wiki, that would be fine.

So this is a call for anyone, who contributed software, parts of software of links of interest to a special device or a special kind of software for a special device. I by myself will contribute to the wiki what came up within the last weeks here in the forum and in my own wiki.

And finally: the new page will be located here.

The structure and naming convention and a quick howto is (currently at the end of that page) here.

Please write, what you think, mainly about the latter (sructure and naming conventions). A good beginning is a guaranty that this will split apart too much. Ideas, criticism and tips welcome. Probably should the title of the page "EBook device software" be altered, I don't know, help thinking about this subject

So &

See you in the wiki

Last edited by apos; 01-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.
apos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
apos
Zealot
apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.apos solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Question: Should there be a "table of content" at the starting page?
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
apos
Zealot

Question: how is it called, correctly spelled?
  • Ereader
  • e-reader
  • Ebook-reader
  • E-book reader
  • e-book reader
  • e-reader device
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
I'd consult the main page for that, but since you're asking about spelling and such, I do believe that its Software Development Kit.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
apos
Zealot

Quote:
Software Development Kit.
- and feel free to edit the page, also anonymously - that's wiki

Last edited by apos; 01-10-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
apos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by apos View Post
Question: how is it called, correctly spelled?
  • Ereader
  • e-reader
  • Ebook-reader
  • E-book reader
  • e-book reader
  • e-reader device
And the winner is:

According to [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book_reader wikipedia] I will spell it:

E-book reader or EReaderin a title
e-book reader or eReader in a textual context

Last edited by apos; 01-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Our wiki is over 1000 pages that have been created over a period of more than 5 years. It is better to go with the structure in place than to try and create a new one from scratch. The preferred names, not because one man decided, but in multiple polls in this forum is eBook for the electronic books themselves and eBook Reader for the device that is used to read them. E-Book is ok and has been used historically, however as usage becomes more prevalent in a word the hyphen is dropped. This is normal progression for words in English. eReader is the name of a program and its use is discouraged however like other words in English like Kleenex a brand name can become a generic term over time so eReader has moved to that status so its use is now permitted so long as it is clear that the eReader program is not being referred to.

Other proposals are in the wiki page and I will address them in the page Wiki structure and naming conventions over the next day or so. I appreciate the contributions to the wiki however, it is too late to try and take it over and develop new structure and naming conventions without even bothering to understand what is already there. See you on the wiki page to discuss this further. That wiki page, by the way, has a terrible name. The title implies that the page is about naming conventions for software but this is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps it makes sense in German.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-25-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: renamed wiki page.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
apos
Zealot

Thanks a lot dale,

that's the help that I need.

Quote:
That wiki page, by the way, has a terrible name
In deed I am not American or English by nature. So you're welcome to alter whatever you think might be correct in terms of spelling: especially headings, because they are the entry point and should be impressive. I am very thankful that somebody cares for this!

We don't have to disuss this because I am far away from beeing an expert in English language and never would be, German is challenging enough Just apply what you think is correct, please.

Quote:
It is better to go with the structure in place than to try and create a new one from scratch.
Quote:
Other proposals are in the wiki page and I'll address them in the page
It was hard for me to extract those structures, so pobably a link in the FAQ would be helpful - probably I did't found it.

I also don't bother, if we delete the side "Naming conventions" and instead redirect to other places that already adress the subject.

I am used to have such strutures in place, when I e.g. post in the german wiki of ubuntu-users.de. There are exact proposals how the naming and a structure of an article should be. And there is a playground / construction subtree where wiki articles exist and are discussed before they are merged into the official wiki tree.

See you and again, thanks for your reply.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
apos
Zealot

Thanks Dale for your comments on Structure_and_naming_conventions. I read them a moment ago. I will try - within the next weeks - to find some time and merge your recommendations. You're also welcome to do so, if you like!

Your annotations are very clear and I am sure they will help people a lot to get around working with the wiki. I didn't find anything I would disagree with
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Hi Apos

I will make a new page and a few days that takes all of the good points from this page and some other points I need to make for other users. I appreciate your lead on this as it is something that has been need for a while.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote