Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Font Too Small To Read on eBooks Bought Through KoboBooks

I purchased a couple of eBooks, "The shack" and "The Lovely Bones" through KoboBooks yesterday. I transferred them to my Kobo through ADE. When I opened them on the Kobo I found the font was so tiny that it was illegible. Changing to "Largest" from the display menu did not seem to make any difference.

I have several other books purchased through KoboBooks and they are all fine.

The only thing I have done in the last couple of days is delete several of the free books using Calibre 7.5. I don't know if that affects my display settings or not.

I'm wondering if the new firmware fix this or am I stuck? I'm afraid to purchase any more books for fear that this is a permanent problem.

Thanks,

Mark
Mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
We are assured by Kobo that the font sizing issues WILL be fixed by the update due this week.

Look at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87458

and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87406
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Do you have the same problem if you install them through the Kobo desktop application?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Do you have the same problem if you install them through the Kobo desktop application?
I'll try that tonight, thanks.

It was my understanding that books bought through Kobobooks were not supposed to have the font size issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Yes the epub resizing will be fixed.

However if you bought through Kobo please consider using the Kobo desktop application to sync if it's working for you. Books synced that way are completely resizeable.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Here is a sort of font question. If you have books in Calibre to change to epub and then transfer them to ADE, does it make sense that there would be way fewer pages in the ADE? I wondered if that had something to do with font or whether I just got some half books or bad transfers.

It is frustrating to wonder whether I am going to be half way into a book (non Kobo) and it just ends.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Incidentally to the original poster, I have never had a font problem using the desktop app. It is much easier than ADE IMO
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
bob5146
Enthusiast
bob5146 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I have had the same problem, I bought 12 books at the weekend from KOBO store, downloaded with epub and then ADE and all the writing came out small, waiting fpr this new softeware to come out.
bob5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
bob5146
Enthusiast

I SYNCD the 12 books I bought with KoBO desktop app and they cant be resized yet ,hopefully when this new softeware comes out.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
bob5146
Enthusiast

I have had the same problem, I bought 12 books at the weekend from KOBO store, downloaded with epub and then ADE and all the writing came out small, waiting fpr this new softeware to come out.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Mysterio

I removed these purchased books with ADE and then sync'd them using the desktop application and the font size was fixed. Thanks for the help. Of course now that I snyc'd all of my other purchased books that I previously read are back in my "I am reading" list.
Oh well, nothing that a few hundred blue button clicks won't cure
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Good choice in book purchases BTW, Mysterio! The books that are listed in the "I'm reading list" that are new (vs. actually I'm reading) should disappear after you turn off the K and turn it on again (if I remember correctly).
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
Mysterio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Good choice in book purchases BTW, Mysterio! The books that are listed in the "I'm reading list" that are new (vs. actually I'm reading) should disappear after you turn off the K and turn it on again (if I remember correctly).
Actually they were still there after I turned it off/on. Hopefully this will be addressed in the firmware update.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

There is an easy way to clear out the clutter from the I'm Reading list. As far as I know, this doesn't work on 'Kobo' books loaded through the desktop app, just regular epubs.

Just plug in the USB cable, wait for it to connect, then unplug. This will file the 'NEW' books into your library, leaving only opened ones (and 'NEW' Kobo App books).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote