Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
AMEN!!!!

I joined Facebook to keep up with some family and friends and find some old friends I haven't seen in 20+ years. But it turns out that Facebook is little more than a personal data miner and that it purposely makes it extremely difficult for users to curtail what data is being shared. Not only does Facebook share your data, but it has the nasty habit of sharing your Facebook friends' data too. I would not be surprised to see a Congressional investigation or even a criminal investigation by the US AG in the next few weeks. I chose for the moment to stop all postings to my Facebook wall and stop all sharing of info except with personal friends, but who knows if Facebook is sharing the info anyway? I'll probably cancel my account eventually.

You got that right! Be careful though because Faceplant doesn't really let you cancel your account. It only allows you to deactivate it. All the info you've already posted is still there and there's nothing you can do about it. I've complained about Faceplant for years but was poo-poohed on by friends. Whatever....time will tell. I just shake my head at people that say to me that you can control that by not posting what you don't want shared. They just don't get it.

I think Canada was the first country to raise the alarm about them and I'm very glad to hear the US privacy folks showing concern now too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #17
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You got that right! Be careful though because Faceplant doesn't really let you cancel your account. It only allows you to deactivate it. All the info you've already posted is still there and there's nothing you can do about it. I've complained about Faceplant for years but was poo-poohed on by friends. Whatever....time will tell. I just shake my head at people that say to me that you can control that by not posting what you don't want shared. They just don't get it.

I think Canada was the first country to raise the alarm about them and I'm very glad to hear the US privacy folks showing concern now too.
Apparently there is a "trick" to canceling your FB account. (One they don't tell you on the site.) You need to go through the motions to cancel the account and then STAY AWAY for at least two weeks.

What they rely on is the temptation to "check back" to see if your account has really been canceled and if you do, that re-activates the account and you're back to square one.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
I can understand that people don't want everything to be Facebooked and Twittered. But then again, I'd like to make more use of my Sony Daily Edition 3G. Sharing passages and other interesting book snippets is a huge plus in my book (pun! heh!). It seems like this was one feature people were asking for (the ability to share passages electronically). I'd rather do it over Facebook than by archaic email.

If Facebook posts annoy you that much, which I can understand (I get so many Farmville posts...), then the onus is on you to take the time to set up your display settings properly. And if you are not interested in sharing passages to Facebook, then you don't have to. Nowhere does it say that you have to take advantage of features you don't want to. But I think there are plenty of us who would like something like this.

Last edited by erasure25; 06-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
On one side, I couldn't care less about those two platforms.

On the other, more options have never hurt anyone, and I am sure some of the younger kids are more likely to welcome this idea.

But it does raise copyright issues. And yes, SONY limits the number of characters you can export after highlighting.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote