Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
MikeD7
MikeD7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Unhappy Image files not saved in Editor

Each time I edit a book, either in EPUB or AZW3 and import an image file after clicking Save and leaving, the image file disappears i.e. is not saving. How can I correct this?
MikeD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
After you import the image file to your epub, are you actually inserting the image into one of the xhtml pages for display, or are you simply importing and doing nothing else?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
MikeD7

I import the image, select option to make it front cover then save. It doesn't save. Because of the option to automatically make it the cover image I assumed it would at least save in the image collection of files.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possibly the file is corrupt?
Is the image a jpg or png? Some image types like tiff are not accepted in epubs.

How did you convert from AZW3 to epub? Did you convert using Calibre, or did you use KindleUnpack (a Calibre plugin).
Maybe try KindleUnpack and then run ePubCheck on the file to find any errors.
ePubCheck is a plugin that needs to be installed.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MikeD7 - did you use Tools->Add Cover option?

That always works for me.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 08:15 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD7 View Post
select option to make it front cover
It sounds like that is what he has done.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:58 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To me, with using import, it sounded more as if he was importing from the import files option on the Files menu. AFAIR, adding the cover image from the Add Cover under the Tools menu handles the metadata settings and would not require marking as cover image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:24 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To me, with using import, it sounded more as if he was importing from the import files option on the Files menu. AFAIR, adding the cover image from the Add Cover under the Tools menu handles the metadata settings and would not require marking as cover image.

If I use the Add cover tool to add a cover to a coverless EPUB it creates this titlepage.xhtml:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
        <meta name="calibre:cover" content="true" />
        <title>Cover</title>
        <style type="text/css" title="override_css">
            @page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
        </style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div>
            <svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
                xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 958 367"
                preserveAspectRatio="none">
                <image width="958" height="367" xlink:href="Screenshot%202023-10-18%20081018.jpg"/>
            </svg>
        </div>
    </body>
</html>
Why would anyone fart-arse around with gobbledegook code when there's a purpose specific tool to do it for you?

I guess you might if you were a goblin.

BR
Old 10-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Or since both calibre's e-book editor and Sigil tend to be Swiss army knives, it takes time and practice to find the easiest way to handle many tasks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:20 AM   #10
MikeD7

Hi all, didn't think this Q would spark debate! In the end I turned to the Edit Metadata tool instead of 'Edit Book/Add cover' option. This works.

Thanks for the comments and help.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is copy the cover image and in the editor, I paste over the existing cover image. If the cover image I used is over 1600 lines, I reduce the image size to 1600 lines. After that, I edit the cover HTML to make sure it displays properly. The I losslessly compress the images to reduce the size.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am with BR. Why not at least start with the built in tool? It does an EPUB LEGAL SVG cover (code).

then a minor code tweak...if you must
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #13
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD7 View Post
Hi all, didn't think this Q would spark debate! In the end I turned to the Edit Metadata tool instead of 'Edit Book/Add cover' option. This works.

Thanks for the comments and help.
There are two completely different covers in play. The one in the actual book, and the one that is the external file in the Calibre book folder.

If you change the cover in the editor, you will not automatically see the new cover in the GUI when you look at the book in the library. Use Edit Metadata and the formats box in the top right--select the edited format, and then use the top left icon, with the tool tip "Set the cover for the book from the selected format". That will take the cover inside the book and put it in as the external cover. This will make both images the same.

If you change the cover using Edit Metadata, either with download or browse, then you have done the opposite--changed the external cover file but not the one inside the book itself. To make them the same use the Polish option. (If it is not on your menu, go into preferences/toolbars and menus to add it.) When you go to run Polish books, make sure the "Update cover in the book files" is checked.

If you don't make the two cover images the same, you will see one in the Calibre GUI and the other when you view the book, which is confusing.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:53 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am with BR. Why not at least start with the built in tool? It does an EPUB LEGAL SVG cover (code).

then a minor code tweak...if you must
I'm sure some people do things the hard way to give their egos a boost - there's probably a name for that - "Stockhausen's Malady"?

I never must, near enough is always good enough.

Tags
image file