Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Where does Reader for PC store files?

Where does Reader for PC store .epub files on a Windows 7 computer? I bought some books from Google Play which open with Reader for PC and I wish to back them up, and I cannot locate where RfPC stores them. They are not in the same place as the old Sony program, Reader Library, used to put them. I have looked everywhere in the Documents sections of my Win7 pc.

I realize I can drag the files directly to Calibre from Downloads, but really want to know where these files are stored. Thanks.

Last edited by redbees; 06-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Books\Reader
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Thanks!

Seemingly that is only for books purchased from Sony, rather than books opened with their software. I found that location, but the books purchased from Google, opened with Reader aren't there, and that made me think I was in the wrong place. Whew, I don't have to wonder about this any longer.

Last edited by redbees; 06-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Thanks!

Seemingly that is only for books purchased from Sony, rather than books opened with their software. I found that location, but the books from Google, and opened with Reader aren't there, and that made me think I was in the wrong place. Whew, I don't have to wonder about this any longer.
I purchase books from Kobo and they show up in that same directory.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
redbees
Enthusiast

Hmmm.

I suppose I shouldn't frustrate myself by continuing to think about this. I assume you don't have Kobo's software on your computer. I have Kobo for PC or whatever their software is called, so I can't test whether their books will go to Sony's directory for me. I will just try to be glad that I got the books into Calibre, and now they are backed up.

Thanks for your response.
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Kobo books if downloaded from the web can also go into the ADE folder which is generally in My Documents / my digital editions unless you've got the Sony Reader selected to open all acsm files by default. I don't use the Sony Reader software on my pc except for firmware updates so everything opens in Adobe.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you don't have a T1, I suggest uninstalling Reader for PC and installing Reader Library. Reader Library works much better for the 950 and the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
redbees
Enthusiast

JSWolf,

I formerly used Reader Library for downloading Sony books, and liked it well enough, though generally I transfer books to my readers using Calibre. I installed Reader for PC when it came out, and dislike it. I have never uninstalled Reader Library, but when I tried to open it today, I got a message saying that the program couldn't open because a .dll file was missing. I searched for the program online so I could reinstall, but didn't find it. I wonder if Reader for PC at some point incapacitated Reader Library. (This thought is probably ridiculously paranoid, but...) If you know where I can download Reader Library, please let me know. I had thought that both programs could coexist peaceably on my computer and had not bothered to delete the inconvenient new Reader for PC.

Chantal,
Really, I just need one program to open the few books I buy from Sony, and the decreasing number of books I buy from Kobo now that many publishers aren't allowing use of Kobo's discounts, and should probably just change the .ascm file association to ADE.

Last edited by redbees; 06-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found what you are looking for. Here is the link to Reader Library.

http://s02.download.sony.com/prs/US/...3.00.07130.exe
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Chantal,
Really, I just need one program to open the few books I buy from Sony, and the decreasing number of books I buy from Kobo now that many publishers aren't allowing use of Kobo's discounts, and should probably just change the .ascm file association to ADE.
I just open all my DRM'd books in ADE (except for Amazon purchases of course) and then put them into Calibre. I used to buy with the Sony software and store books with it for my prs-505 but then I discovered Calibre and there's no going back!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
redbees
Enthusiast

Thanks so much, JSWolf!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
If I remember correctly, the ones you download with the device are stored in the directory listed above.

But if you have a book on your hard drive and just import it, it will simply link to that - it won't make a copy of it in its own folder.

Also, to complicate things, the database is stored in a different directory.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\Reader

That includes annotations.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
redbees
Enthusiast

Thanks, vxf, this is also useful information. I'll look around my hard drive.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
jumpmanlives
jumpmanlives began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\My Documents\My Books\Reader
jumpmanlives is offline   Reply With Quote