Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Poke 2 Color a few questions

I was just on the Onyx site looking at the Poke 2 color. It looks intriguing. My first question is does anyone know if the Boox company directly supports their products in the USA? I saw that Pocketbook Color does not and that made me think twice. But I see that Boox has a US warehouse so they at least do business here. Do they support their US customer base? Second is the manual for the new Poke 2 Color available anywhere? I usually want to read a manual before settling on a purchase. Third on Calibre are there presently Boox drivers that might be expected to work with the Poke 2 Color? If anyone knows please share and thanks!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Onyx is a Chinese company. I would much rather go with a Swiss company.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I read the Pocketbook Color 2 manual and they did not look as if they expected to hear from the USA. I don’t have the manual in front of me but they listed five or six phone numbers to call for support. None were in the USA. Also their site does not sell DIRECT to the USA. Indeed the USA is not listed in the list of released-to nations. This led me to feel that if I had any questions I would be out of luck. The Boox store, on the other hand, lists the USA as a country where the Color 2 has been released to and they will sell it to you directly. The support options they give are email, and I wish they were phone. On the other hand the support via that email seems to be equally offered to the USA. Would love to see a Poke 2 Color manual though.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Support (I should put quotes around that) seems to be hit or miss with Onyx. Promises made but never kept (see the Onyx forum here or theirs). For example, I prefer ragged right instead of fully justified. The 10" Onyx that I got always did fully justified, regardless of what I did in the CSS or the ereader's settings. They said they'd fix it but never did. Not a bug but the included fonts was some huge list of google fonts which is hard to search through and takes forever to scroll through. They strike me as a company that's after a quick buck, not one that wants to make quality products.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Neil
Addict

Well, that's good to know. I am considering making a long-distance call to one of the Pocketbook numbers in a country which has a lot of English-speakers. I understand that Switzerland teaches English in elementary schools so I may try that number first. If I can find someone to speak with I plan on explaining to them that I live in the US and am thinking of picking up a PocketBook Color 2 as an import. I'll ask if I had future questions would it be OK to call them with such and if they would honor warranty directly or I would just have to depend on the store I buy it from. I'll report back if I actually find someone to ask!

I am beginning to feel the best thing to do on either the Color 2 or the Poke 2 is wait until Amazon sells them.

Last edited by Neil; 08-11-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: selling
Old 08-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors

The firmware / user interface for the Pocketbooks is very nice. In order from poorest to best I'd rate them as Onyx lowest, then Kindle, then Kobo, then Pocketbook. The pocketbook has a definite polished and well designed feel, both physically as well as in its firmware / ui.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
thinking over but the definition of black and white is really greyish.

I have a question can I add 128 G microsd?
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
I have a question can I add 128 G microsd?
No .
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, poke color 2