Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #106
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Verilux Natural Spectrum Deluxe Book and Travel Light

Don't forget about Verilux Natural Spectrum Deluxe Book and Travel Light light. I am using it for 6 months and more than happy with it. IMHO, it is far better than anything else out there except BUG light (which might be as good or better, I don't know). I have tried 4 different light before this one, including Sony light and z-light. They don't come even close in comparison to verilux. Again imho, it is better than BUG, but it is very personal judgement
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #107
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Astra_lestat,

Thanks for the suggestion! Now that my Cybook Gen3 has arrived from Bookeen, I'm letting Mom have my PRS-500. She doesn't like the ExtraFlex Duo and she likes to read in bed. I'll be picking one of these up for her, today!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Don't forget about Verilux Natural Spectrum Deluxe Book and Travel Light light. I am using it for 6 months and more than happy with it. IMHO, it is far better than anything else out there except BUG light (which might be as good or better, I don't know). I have tried 4 different light before this one, including Sony light and z-light. They don't come even close in comparison to verilux. Again imho, it is better than BUG, but it is very personal judgement
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #108
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Astra_lestat,

Thanks for the suggestion! Now that my Cybook Gen3 has arrived from Bookeen, I'm letting Mom have my PRS-500. She doesn't like the ExtraFlex Duo and she likes to read in bed. I'll be picking one of these up for her, today!

Derek

There is one small drawback with verilux. It might be regarded as a bit too heavy (I use both hands when I read at night with verilux, so it is not an issue for me).
Hopefully, your mother will like it Just use 2 powerful re-chargeable batteries 2500mA or similar. When I just brought the light, I tried to use batteries that I bought 18 for £1 ~ $2 Obviously it didn't work

Last edited by astra; 09-17-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: grammar...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #109
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I use the Mighty Bright light that uses the same type of bulb as the Verilux (that full-spectrum CCFL is just marvelous for e-ink!), but puts it on an arm -- the weight is actually an advantage on that design, because the light can be clipped onto the lower, right edge (aligned with the bottom) and it becomes kind of a base for the Reader, actually makes holding it up easier that way.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #110
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Can you show pics of this light on your Sony reader? How does it light the reader? Since the light doesn't come over the top like other lights?

Sharon
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #111
fishcube
Connoisseur

Where can one see the BUG light? and which mighty bright light works the best?

Sharon
Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #112
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
Can you show pics of this light on your Sony reader? How does it light the reader? Since the light doesn't come over the top like other lights?

Sharon
Quote:
Where can one see the BUG light? and which mighty bright light works the best?

Sharon
You can see pictures of both the verilux and the bug light in the early posts in the Which light for the Sony Reader thread, and the question of which works best is somewhat subjective.

I have a Mighty Bright light that uses the same CCFL bulb as the Verilux does that I like quite well -- the full spectrum light makes a significant difference, in my opinion. Ah, yes, this is it here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #113
astra
The Introvert

Quote:

Sharon

Although I never use clip it at the reader's side. Only at the top. The light is very bright and even across a whole screen.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #114
grommit
grommit began at the beginning.

Device: linrie
I've noticed a wide variety of clip-on led lights at Gamestop. It seems the first version of the Gameboy Advance had no backlight, so a cottage industry of front-light devices was born, and the remnants can be bought in the used parts section.
grommit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #115
grommit
grommit began at the beginning.

Device: linrie
Reading back through the thread I remembered seeing the i-sight device somewhere else...then I found it, my son had one that came free in a box of Kellogs cereal. I compared it to the pictures here and it is either the same device or a direct knockoff. It even has precisely the same groove pattern on the ear-clip. I'm thinking of swapping in a high-brightness led, then sand-blasting the lens to diffuse the light.
grommit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #116
fishcube
Connoisseur

About the Verilux. Does this project alot of light outside the Sony reader? Since I will be using this in a movie theatre (before movie etc) and don't want alot of light projected elsewhere including myself.

Also how big is it when closed?

Where's the best place to purchase it?

Sharon
Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the 505 would be fine as is in a movie theater. They do have some lighting turned on until the movie starts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #118
fishcube
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think the 505 would be fine as is in a movie theater. They do have some lighting turned on until the movie starts.
Actually no, our theatres are very low lit and I can't read anything in them. Trust me I've tried. They used to be lit really well until about a year ago. They must be trying to save money.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM   #119
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
About the Verilux. Does this project alot of light outside the Sony reader? Since I will be using this in a movie theatre (before movie etc) and don't want alot of light projected elsewhere including myself.

Also how big is it when closed?

Where's the best place to purchase it?

Sharon
Sharon Do you use google before you ask questions? Just curious

Anyway, have a look on verilux site, there are many pictures: verilux. It is about cigarette pack size.

The lamp is bright, which is the strongest point of this lamp for me. I have tried at least 4 or 5 others and they were too dim. However, if you hold your reader as a real book, i.e., with open cover 90 degree to the reader, it will shelter anyone to your left completely. In full darkness it might disturbe a person to your right.
If you are from the USA, you can easily order it from any website and return it back if you don't like it. I think it is the best way to find out whether it suits your needs or not.
It is quite cheap (IMHO) for what it does
Old 10-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #120
fishcube
Connoisseur

Why yes I google all the time, but sometimes you just need info from people who actually have the light itself. As for where to buy it, was hoping to find out where others have bought theirs and their experiences. Many stores have restock fee and high shipping.