Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I'm also looking for an alternative to Calibre, but one would *would* allow me to convert books and correct bad metadata. Without dealing with the library and the crashes.
"the crashes"? Crashes are not a normal experience with Calibre/OS X. If you'd like to troubleshoot them, I'm sure people in the Calibre forum will help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #32
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
Calibre, at its heart, is a spreadsheet. I don't believe there is a better format than that used. The internet abounds with "elegant" web pages that seek to provide adequate white space, as an example. They are beautiful and horrible. You are paging all over the place to get the info that's marooned in a white space desert. Data and density are bed-partners. The fact that an elegant UI flows from point to point lacks meaning. On spreadsheets, eyes dart to learned positions.

Kovid's work is elegant. It promotes the basic need. It enhances that with useful panes. It has greater user controls. It is expandable like few other programs. Any programmer being honest will envy the design and execution.

As Mies said, "Form follows function."

Last edited by JKenP; 09-14-2016 at 01:29 PM.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no alternative to Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #34
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
What about the the ebook converter from HamsterSoft, which uses Calibre code, but in a different wrapper? I think it had a library shelf function or view, as well. Both Windows and iOS, I think.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #35
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKenP View Post
Kovid's work is elegant. It promotes the basic need. It enhances that with useful panes. It has greater user controls. It is expandable like few other programs. Any programmer being honest will envy the design and execution.

As Mies said, "Form follows function."
This. I have never understood the complaints about the Calibre UI, and still don't. I can have the buttons I want where I want them, it's functional and does what I need it to do without fuss or getting in the way.

What more can you need, without it being useless frippery? It doesn't have to be beautiful (whatever that is!), it just has to work. And it does.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert