Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #61
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Ah Ok, I didnt realise this forum allowed that - some dont.
I didn't realize it for the longest time either. Never scrolled down that far.

Interesting screen shot. It's weird that it was overwritten so quickly. When I recovered 2.3.4 it was marked excellent after god knows how long...
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #62
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think Amazon have done this to stop file sharing - I did nothing to the kindle other than plug it in to do recuva. I am still on the same screen as when I got the download. Perhaps it grabs a book you have bought from them and somehow puts it into the file it downloads to the kindle?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #63
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I think Amazon have done this to stop file sharing - I did nothing to the kindle other than plug it in to do recuva. I am still on the same screen as when I got the download. Perhaps it grabs a book you have bought from them and somehow puts it into the file it downloads to the kindle?
I think you're right. They probably weren't too happy with everyone trying to circumvent their beta test. Ah well, I'm off to bed. Enjoy 2.5 and thank you so much for trying!
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #64
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The hacks dont work now either.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm sitting on 2.3 (international AND USA-only version).

Does anyone know if there will be any difficulty in upgrading to 2.5?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #66
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I dont have 3g access...how do I get the update? I am still very green - just got my K2 yesterday!
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #67
jonathanbloom
jonathanbloom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
There's another thread on the forums here that has the 2.3.4. to 2.5 update.
I can't find this thread with a 2.3.4 to 2.5 Kindle 2 International Bin.
jonathanbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #68
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakita002 View Post
I dont have 3g access...how do I get the update? I am still very green - just got my K2 yesterday!
Congratulations, enjoy and explore your new K2! Once Amazon is ready they will post a link on their web site where you can download and copy the upgrade to your Kindle. This will probably be near the end of May. There will be lots of comments here and in the Amazon Kindle forums.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #69
ereadx
ereadx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Hey guys,

It seems amazon's update messes up the bin after it updates on the system to prevent passing around of the bin file. I did get the update on my kindle 2i going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.

Please try doing manual sync and check for new items - you might get it that way. That is how I received it.
ereadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #70
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadx View Post
Hey guys,

It seems amazon's update messes up the bin after it updates on the system to prevent passing around of the bin file. I did get the update on my kindle 2i going from 2.3.3 to 2.5.

Please try doing manual sync and check for new items - you might get it that way. That is how I received it.
But I've TRIED a manual sync!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #71
Pushka
Wizard

It seems the bin can only be grabbed before the kindle has actually upgraded. If someone has the hacks on the file sits in their kindle root directory. That is the file you need.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #72
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
So... To get the updater file we've got to install one of the hacks in order to deliberately block the automatic update process, then periodically mount the Kindle via USB to check whether the bin file is sitting there or not, since the menu is never going to un-gray as long as the hack is active? Sheesh.

Can I do a Benny Hill smack-smack-smack-smack-smack thing on the head of whoever at Amazon decided to not let us download it manually right from the start? Please?
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #73
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
How about running something like tcpdump on the kindle and then pipe all traffic that goes through the ppp-device over the usb-network to some external dump-file.

Then it should be possible to recover any data received; non-corrupted update files included
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #74
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
If you do have a hack installed you should just be able to go into the settings menu, then if the .bin is sitting there the "Update your Kindle" option shouldn't be greyed out. The update would just fail if it is attempted.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #75
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There's another option ... wait a couple of more weeks till Kindle actually releases the patch.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote