Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2020, 03:50 AM   #91
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
No I do not know now I do, thanks. What else don't I know
That depends on what you do know. Everything else you don't.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #92
Oronare
Banned
Oronare began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 7"
Any font problems people are having with this patch may be because their fonts are TTF. Try converting them, or finding versions of them in OTF, see if that fixes any problems.
Oronare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:56 AM   #93
torishu
torishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it is

Device: Oasis 3, Paperwhite 5 SE, Paperwhite 4, Onyx BOOX Nova3 Color
I've been trying to figure out a problem I've been having with sideloaded fonts in certain purchased books (from Amazon) and this firmware.

It seems that if a book has an embedded publisher font and I choose a sideloaded TTF font, custom bolding doesn't work. If the book does not have an embedded publisher font, then custom bolding on a sideloaded TTF font works as expected in the book, same as with OTF sideloaded fonts on any book.

This is with books purchased from Amazon, only using the built-in bolding options with the software.

Can anybody else confirm that this is the exact problem? Using TTF sideloaded fonts on a book with an embedded publisher font breaks custom bolding.

Thanks!

Last edited by torishu; 10-10-2020 at 02:01 AM.
torishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:34 AM   #94
torishu
torishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it istorishu knows what time it is

To expand on my previous post and make it clearer...

If I sideload the Literata TTF font from Google on my Kindle Oasis 3 and I attempt to custom bold it in the book Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (purchased from Amazon and which includes an embedded "Publisher Font") via the Aa menu, bolding has no effect. The font merely jumps around a bit as I change the Bold level but remains largely the same.

If I sideload the Bitter OTF font and attempt custom bolding, it works as expected.

If I try the above on the book Mockingbird by Walter Tavis, just as an example, which does not include a selectable "Publisher Font," bolding with both Literata and Bitter work as expected.

I have tried this with other TTF/OTF fonts as well as other books and I am seeing this behavior with any book purchased from Amazon and downloaded directly to the device.

All of my sideloaded fonts include Regular, Italic, Bold, and BoldItalic typesets. I seem to be able to repeat this behavior with any book that includes a Publisher Font as an option in the Aa menu.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #95
torishu

I spent the past couple of hours trying to fix the problem I was seeing with sideloaded TTF fonts not applying custom bolding in books that included an embedded "Publisher Font." I think (I hope) I have solved the problem.

This problem existed on all three of my current Kindles: two Oasis 3s and one Paperwhite 4, all upgraded to 5.13.2. The issue persisted through many reboots, resetting of themes, reselecting of fonts. All of my Kindles are set up the same including sideloaded fonts, themes, etc.

What seems to have fixed it on all three devices:

* I deleted all of the files in the Kindle's "fonts" folder.

* I then re-copied all of my fonts back to the "fonts" folder.

* I rebooted the Kindle for good measure.

* I finally reset my themes (they all defaulted to using the Bookerly font after the font purge/reload).

Custom font bolding is now working again with all of my purchased books that allow it, regardless of whether or not a "Publisher Font" is embedded.

My best guess is that font parsing/cache/whatever needed to be reset after the firmware upgrade and removing and readding them parsed them anew and all seems well now.

Please don't try this at home unless you're seeing problems like mine and do backup all of your fonts before even dreaming about deleting anything.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #96
torishu

Above fix works only until one switches to another book with a Publisher Font. Then it is broken as before:

Custom bolding via the Aa menu is broken with sideloaded TTF fonts on 5.13.2 on books with embedded Publisher Font.

This possibly has something to do with bolding options being disabled on books when using the Publisher Font but that's just me speculating.

The option is not disabled with TTF fonts, it just doesn't work.

This is consistent and repeatable.

A reboot will re-allow any set custom bolding until you try to change it, then all bolding is removed and the font just jumps around a bit, un-bolded.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #97
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Guys, quick question: Am I missing something or has Amazon taken away the possibility to make the library the front page view. I cannot find the option anymore? Was this already done in a previous firmware perhaps?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:50 AM   #98
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Guys, quick question: Am I missing something or has Amazon taken away the possibility to make the library the front page view. I cannot find the option anymore? Was this already done in a previous firmware perhaps?
Settings --> Advanced Options --> Home & Library --> Home Screen View (Turn this off)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #99
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Settings --> Advanced Options --> Home & Library --> Home Screen View (Turn this off)

Shari
Thanks!
I don’t see ‘Advanced Options’ on 5.13.2 on Kindle Oasis 3.

Edit: I reset my language to English (had it set to German) and the option reappeared. Such a weird oversight! (or maybe intentional, because afaik the German competition all have these storefront-like homepages, so it's maybe considered acceptable in Germany)

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-14-2020 at 06:42 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #100
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Settings --> Device Options --> Advanced Options --> Home & Library --> Home Screen View (Turn this off)
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #101
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Usually the menus under Settings are a single screen each, but depending on your Kindle model and language you may need to scroll the list of choices to see them all. It is not always obvious that you can do that.

That might be a factor in choices seeming to be missing.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp