Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 05:49 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarsM View Post
I know that. And i prefer open OS. Most important is that device should receive updates and have a availability of asoftware and is not locked in own one app.
So looks like, i should monitor market for next 1-3 months
At present, Most Kobo Readers even really old ones get the new firmware. That's something no other company can say. Also, Kobo is fairly open. You can install KOReader and/or Plato and use either as alternate reading software. The firmware is fairly open and patches are released for each new firmware so you can customize it fairly well. Kobo has rather good eBook management. With Android based Readers, one of the reasons to install another reading app because the stock one is not all that good.

I forget which Android based eInk Reader comes with FBReader as the app to read eBooks and FBReader is lousy. Also, a lot of eBook reading apps for Android are lousy as they don't do CSS all that well and mostly it's just a bunch of settings instead of respecting CSS.

Some of the usable Android reading apps are the ones that are tied to bookstores such as Pocketbook.

Think of what you want to do and post a list and we can see which Readers may fill your list the best.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #32
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Kobo is most open. It comes rooted. You can install Koreader on it which is very good at reading PDF.

However, Onyx and Likebook are Android, which means you access to A LOT more software. If you want to do out-of-the-box type things, if you want a very flexible device, go for an Onyx or a Likebook.

Onyx is better than Likebook for reading PDF because the included reader app Neoreader allows you to split pages into panes. Also allows a lot of control like pan and zooming etc. Onyx software is better at reading PDF than Likebook software. It is better than Koreader. But you can also install Koreader on Android. Also, in my experience the hardware is tougher and more long-lasting. Also the OS is more stable than Likebook, but Likebook has likely improved since I had one several years ago. But Onyx is a solid machine. But Onyx has no SD-card slot.

On a down-side, Android OS devices battery life is much smaller than a Linux device like a Kobo.

If you want flexibility, go Onyx or Likebook.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
However the Likebook Mars PDF reader is better than Kobo, Kindle or KOReader for PDFs. The management of scanned PDFs with background, watermarks, and cropping margins is good. The Boyue App Store KOReader is ancient and useless, download from KOreader direct (ARM android) using Mars Browser. The Google Framework is only needed for Playstore and Playbooks, and can be off to run most Playstore apps. K-9 email and Borrowbox work fine on the Mars.

The Mars started at Android 6.1 and now ships with 8.1 and a major patch and FW update both in January. It does BT keyboard (Jota for notes) and BT earphones as well as 3.5mm jack and SD card (up to 32 G as internal integrated or larger cards as portable storage using exFAT).

The Kobo default reader is as a good as the CSS of the ebook, I have found no need for koreader on it. But on the Mars the Koreader allows me to override CSS I don't like without editing the ebook in Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-15-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #34
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
SD card (up to 32 G as internal integrated or larger cards as portable storage using exFAT).
Likebook devices can use NTFS formatted SD Cards.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:55 AM   #35
EdgarsM
EdgarsM began at the beginning.

Device: none
So, i checked what formats i have. 80% of everything are in epub format, and 20 are mix of kindle and pdf, i would say pdf ~5%.

Currently im sticked to onyx air and likebook alita.
Kobo at the moment do not have a big screen model (10")
Is there any chance, that in nearest 2-3 month we will see something new from ereaders with a big screens?
EdgarsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2021, 05:29 AM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I own both. For ebooks I use the Likebook Alita, for sunshine / garden computing and drawing due to the format (landscape) I use the Note Air.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, i checked what formats i have. 80% of everything are in epub format, and 20 are mix of kindle and pdf, i would say pdf ~5%.

Kobo at the moment do not have a big screen model (10")
Is there any chance, that in nearest 2-3 month we will see something new from ereaders with a big screens?
For PDF, use a tablet. For the rest, you can use an 8" screen (Kobo Forma) no bother.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #38
EdgarsM
EdgarsM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For PDF, use a tablet. For the rest, you can use an 8" screen (Kobo Forma) no bother.
the more i look around the more this sounds like a way to go. But i will wait for a while, maybe something new and awesome will be released in nearest moths
EdgarsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
the more i look around the more this sounds like a way to go. But i will wait for a while, maybe something new and awesome will be released in nearest moths
I hope so as well because I am thinking of getting a new Reader.