Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #1141
tittle65
tittle65 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Running Kindle under Wine (6.1, Ubuntu 20.04), and trying to install older versions s

Running Kindle under Wine (6.1, Ubuntu 20.04), and trying to install older versions so as to get Calibre going again. (I've been using Calibre since at least 2013, it's Kindle that's giving me the vapors right now!)

So basically if I install Kindle 1.17, under Wine, It says network error, and refuses to do anything at all. If I install 1.24, it seems to get stuck on Kindle Terms of Use, where I can't get it to respond to clicking on the terms or the yes/no buttons.

Of course, when I install 1.30 everything works swimmingly except for the fact that downloaded books are now in KFX which Calibre can't (yet! hopefully?) deal with.

I did try removing the renderer-test.exe file that's supposed to stop the KFX portion (in 1.30) but of course taht doesn't work. Since I am running this under Wine, I don't think (???) I can do the registry edit that ppl talk about here -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post4012925

Any other ideas for getting a version of Kindle going under Wine (6.1, with Ubuntu 20.04) that will let me bypass KFX? I am actually wondering if I should buy (gak) some kind of kindle e-ink/paperwhite book to use the download to usb process instead but I hate giving them any more $$ than necessary.

<sigh>
tittle65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #1142
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I reckon DeDRM 7 is pretty much ready for release. The latest version plus pull request plus one change mentioned in the notes give a fully functioning version as far as I can tell.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #1143
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I reckon DeDRM 7 is pretty much ready for release. The latest version plus pull request plus one change mentioned in the notes give a fully functioning version as far as I can tell.
There are still quite a few issues as far as I can tell. I keep a calibre 4.23 portable with 6.8.1 for that reason.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #1144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There are still quite a few issues as far as I can tell. I keep a calibre 4.23 portable with 6.8.1 for that reason.
Other then PDF what issues are there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #1145
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I can believe it, but like what actually?
With the latest master plus PR 1490 plus the fix mentioned in the notes to 1490, it’s working great so far for me. That’s why I wrote what I did.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #1146
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
I can believe it, but like what actually?
With the latest master plus PR 1490 plus the fix mentioned in the notes to 1490, it’s working great so far for me. That’s why I wrote what I did.
I'm using it as well but then my uses are pretty vanilla. For others, items such as KFX v2 and V3 vouchers not working though it looks as if code was contributed for v4 vouchers in PR1490, PDF issues are still there, etc. Complaints that there are AZW3 books will have DRM removed by 6.8.1 but not by 7.x.x.

That's why I think it's not ready for prime time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:36 AM   #1147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
I'm using it as well but then my uses are pretty vanilla. For others, items such as KFX v2 and V3 vouchers not working though it looks as if code was contributed for v4 vouchers in PR1490, PDF issues are still there, etc. Complaints that there are AZW3 books will have DRM removed by 6.8.1 but not by 7.x.x.

That's why I think it's not ready for prime time.
There is a commit for some issue with keys.

Do you know of any KF8 eBooks that do not have the DRM removed with 7.0.3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #1148
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Thanks. I must have missed that at the end of the post. If you stop updates and then use a new version of kindle, does this mess with the new version or does it reset again?

This is more of a calibre question, but any issues with moving a calibre library from old (4.23) to new version (5.0) with different Pythons if on different computers? For example, one mac is mojave with 4.23 (at the moment) and other is Catalina/Big Sur with 5.0.

Inukami
If it's 4.23, no (tested). If there is any release before, yes, I think they said there are problems, as 4.23 has already adapted the database to be compatible to 5.X and previous ones no.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #1149
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If it's 4.23, no (tested). If there is any release before, yes, I think they said there are problems, as 4.23 has already adapted the database to be compatible to 5.X and previous ones no.
Ok. So moving between 4.23 and 5.X is good. Thanks
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #1150
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Quote:
Thanks. I must have missed that at the end of the post. If you stop updates and then use a new version of kindle, does this mess with the new version or does it reset again?
I think that additional updates would still be stopped because the updates folder isn't created when you first install a new version, just when it tries download an update. But I would check to see if the text file is still there or if permissions are still set to read only on the updates folder depending on which method you used.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #1151
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I think that additional updates would still be stopped because the updates folder isn't created when you first install a new version, just when it tries download an update. But I would check to see if the text file is still there or if permissions are still set to read only on the updates folder depending on which method you used.
Thanks. Do we know why it started forcing the update from 1.17 when it did? Was it just random or was there a new update and that is why everyone was forced to update?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #1152
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tittle65 View Post
Running Kindle under Wine (6.1, Ubuntu 20.04), and trying to install older versions so as to get Calibre going again. (I've been using Calibre since at least 2013, it's Kindle that's giving me the vapors right now!)

So basically if I install Kindle 1.17, under Wine, It says network error, and refuses to do anything at all. If I install 1.24, it seems to get stuck on Kindle Terms of Use, where I can't get it to respond to clicking on the terms or the yes/no buttons.

Of course, when I install 1.30 everything works swimmingly except for the fact that downloaded books are now in KFX which Calibre can't (yet! hopefully?) deal with.

I did try removing the renderer-test.exe file that's supposed to stop the KFX portion (in 1.30) but of course taht doesn't work. Since I am running this under Wine, I don't think (???) I can do the registry edit that ppl talk about here -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post4012925

Any other ideas for getting a version of Kindle going under Wine (6.1, with Ubuntu 20.04) that will let me bypass KFX? I am actually wondering if I should buy (gak) some kind of kindle e-ink/paperwhite book to use the download to usb process instead but I hate giving them any more $$ than necessary.

<sigh>
Changing the extension on renderer-test only works on Kindle for PC 1.24 and earlier. Later versions don't seem to mind a bit that they can't run that. No idea how registry edits could work with Wine.

Now that things are working with 1.30 try stepping back to earlier versions. Don't uninstall the current version. Just install older version over new. That has worked for others on Windows anyway. If you get back to 1.17, no worries about KFX. But if you can at least get back to 1.24, the renderer-test fix should work. If you can get back to 1.26, those KFX files can be decrypted.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #1153
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Thanks. Do we know why it started forcing the update from 1.17 when it did? Was it just random or was there a new update and that is why everyone was forced to update?

Inukami
I don't know. I saw the fix here at MobileRead and applied it before it ever happened to me. It could have been around the time 1.30 started rolling out.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #1154
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Amazon decided to force the update. They control the software and the updates.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #1155
Ansem_93
Connoisseur
Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Ansem_93 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi everyone, I have an "old" kindle paperwhite from 2015.
When I need to convert EPUB books to send them to the device how should I convert them?
By default is Moby, but I'm not sure if it's the best format.

Which one should I use?
Ansem_93 is offline   Reply With Quote