Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #1126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Buy a cheap Kindle form Amazon and once registered, you will be able to download Kindle eBooks KFX free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #1127
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
No problem, I seem to have solved it now, although I'm not certain how, or why it has worked today but didn't yesterday. The only thing I did differently was to ignore the Amazon text!

Thank you so much for all the help you give people, it seems to get more difficult to navigate around the restrictions imposed on us by the day.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #1128
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've just done the following:
  • re did the Terminal command "chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test"

What have I missed? ...
It's hard to tell from your description what might have gone wrong, but if K4Mac forces an update on you and you don't want to or can't go back to 1.17, try adding sudo before chmod -x: sudo chmod -x /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/renderer-test

If that doesn't work, try deleting the My Kindle Content folder and starting with a clean install.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #1129
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi, the methods described here were working for me on an old laptop -- then I upgraded to a new machine. Kindle 1.17.1 installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle. When I try the rename command, it tells me the syntax is wrong, and the .bat file doesn't work because Kindle is installed in the wrong place. I tried editing the bat file to:

@echo off
set KINDLE=Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle
if not exist "%KINDLE%\Kindle.exe" goto :nokindle
if exist "%KINDLE%\storage" if not exist "%KINDLE%\storage\" del /Q "%KINDLE%\storage"
if exist "%KINDLE%\updates" rmdir /S /Q "%KINDLE%\updates"
echo This file disables Kindle for PC downloads. > "%KINDLE%\updates"
echo Kindle for PC downloads are now disabled
goto :exit
:nokindle
echo Cannot disable downloads - Kindle for PC is not installed at expected location
:exit
pause

But it still can't find what it needs.

Thus far I've been going to \AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle every time I open the app and deleting the forced update file, but I'd appreciate any suggestion that would make this work a bit more smoothly.

Thanks
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #1130
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
What the batch file does is replace the updates folder with a text file named updates without any extension. So you can just do that.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #1131
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
@whitearrow: You mention that the updates file is downloaded to \AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle which would suggest that instead of placing the blocking file in Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle, it should be placed in \AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle.

Code:
@echo off
rem for standard install in AppData, use %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application%
set KindleApp=Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle
set KindleStorage=%localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle

if not exist "%KindleApp%\kindle.exe" goto :nokindle
if exist "%KindleStorage%\storage" if not exist "%KindleStorage%\storage\" del /Q "%KindleStorage%\storage"
if exist "%KindleStorage%\updates" rmdir /S /Q "%KindleStorage%\updates"
echo This file disables Kindle for PC downloads. > "%KindleStorage%\updates"
echo Kindle for PC downloads are now disabled
goto :exit
:nokindle
echo Cannot disable downloads - Kindle for PC is not installed at expected location
:exit
pause

Last edited by DNSB; 02-19-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added modified batch file
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #1132
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what to create, is the problem.

There isn't an updates folder in either folder.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #1133
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I don't know what to create, is the problem.

There isn't an updates folder in either folder.
The updates file replaces the updates folder which prevents the creation of an updates folder. Even if Kindle4PC is installed for all users which places the executables in the Program Files/Program Files (x86), the data files are still kept in AppData. One old version of Kindle4PC created a Kindle For PC directory which was a bit different.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #1134
whitearrow
Guru

Yes, my question is -- where do I get or how do I create this updates file?
Old 02-19-2021, 07:31 PM   #1135
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
When you run the batch file, the following line creates the updates file.

Code:
echo This file disables Kindle for PC downloads. > "%KindleStorage%\updates"
Old 02-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #1136
whitearrow
Guru

Ok. Thanks, I'll try.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #1137
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You would need to use the Preview/Beta 7.0.3 DeDRM. 6.8.0/6.8.1 are Python 2 and will not work calibre 5/Python 3.
Ok. So okay to use MacOS Mojave, K4Mac 1.17, Calibre 5, DeDRM Beta 7.0.3? No issues reported with this? I'm still on 4.23.

Also what was the workaround to stop 1.17 from updating on Mac? I thought someone had posted about it or would be on the first one, but couldn't find it.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:48 AM   #1138
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Go to AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle. If there's an updates folder, delete it.
Right click in an empty space inside the Kindle folder > New > Text Document. Name it updates without the .txt extension.

Every time you open the Kindle app, it will ask if you want to download the update. Click skip this version.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #1139
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Ok. So okay to use MacOS Mojave, K4Mac 1.17, Calibre 5, DeDRM Beta 7.0.3? No issues reported with this? I'm still on 4.23.

Also what was the workaround to stop 1.17 from updating on Mac? I thought someone had posted about it or would be on the first one, but couldn't find it.

Inukami
From what I've seen, DeDRM 7.0.3/calibre 5 seems to be working fine on azw3 files. Info on stopping updates is at the bottom of odamizu's post.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:29 AM   #1140
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
From what I've seen, DeDRM 7.0.3/calibre 5 seems to be working fine on azw3 files. Info on stopping updates is at the bottom of odamizu's post.
Thanks. I must have missed that at the end of the post. If you stop updates and then use a new version of kindle, does this mess with the new version or does it reset again?

This is more of a calibre question, but any issues with moving a calibre library from old (4.23) to new version (5.0) with different Pythons if on different computers? For example, one mac is mojave with 4.23 (at the moment) and other is Catalina/Big Sur with 5.0.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote