Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2021, 12:25 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Pocketbook:
- Doesn't require registration
- Multiple user profiles
- Zoom present (a bit slow)
- Haven't tried to break the screen yet
Plus built-in Adobe ADE. Buy books from anywhere that sells DRM ePubs without having ADE installed on your computer. (An important feature for someone who uses Linux.) Tolinos also have ADE built-in.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sorry to belabor, but part of the point is that just because a site doesn't exist (or is down) now doesn't mean that it won't someday. Think of the potential pain that could be caused by a book, TV show, or movie writer publishing a a random, but potentially valid, telephone number (even if checking first and getting a "not in service" message).

https://www.iana.org/domains/reserved
Also, just because a domain doesn't have a website it doesn't mean that there isn't email set up for it. I know a few people that have bought domains just so that they can have their own vanity email address. Domains are cheap, and so is setting up email for a domain.

I agree that "nosuchword.com *may* be safe *right now*, but trying to go to the domain using a web browser proves nothing about its use for email.

Now...if you did an nslookup for a domain and it came back as non-existent, then you can say that nobody is using the domain *right now*. As j.p.s. rightly says, someone could register that domain tomorrow and that person would start getting email about your account (depending on how they set up their mail server)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sorry to belabor, but part of the point is that just because a site doesn't exist (or is down) now doesn't mean that it won't someday. Think of the potential pain that could be caused by a book, TV show, or movie writer publishing a a random, but potentially valid, telephone number (even if checking first and getting a "not in service" message).

https://www.iana.org/domains/reserved
In the US, the prefix 555 is used in phone numbers in books, TV shows, movies, etc. is 555 as that will always give an error when dialed. So there is no chance of a real number being given out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I doubt this is true.
Here's an article about the dangers of using real phone numbers in movies, tv shows and music. https://www.syracuse.com/entertainme...hn_wick_2.html

Quote:
It also helps avoid complaints, like when Jim Carrey's 2003 movie "Bruce Almighty" displayed God's phone number as 776-2323. No area code was given, and sure enough, fans called it around the country. One Florida woman threatened to sue after receiving 20 calls an hour, and a minister -- who happened to be named Bruce -- was not amused that it was the same number as his church in North Carolina.

According to the Tribune, Universal thought it wouldn't be an issue because the film was set in Buffalo, where the number was not in use. To avoid lawsuits, the studio replaced it with a 555 number in television and home video versions of "Bruce Almighty."
Quote:
Tommy Tutone's 1982 hit song "867-5309/Jenny" caused many phone service providers to stop giving out the number, though the number works in some area codes. Some play the tune's catchy chorus, others feature automated messages joking about Jenny being not available.
Using real domains is just as prone to problems.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Plus built-in Adobe ADE. Buy books from anywhere that sells DRM ePubs without having ADE installed on your computer. (An important feature for someone who uses Linux.) Tolinos also have ADE built-in.
You want to run ADE on the computer so you can use Calibre and the DeDRM plugin to remove any DRM so you can kep your eBooks.

The problem with the Pocketbook HD3 is it's only a 6" screen. There are other Pocketbook models with a larger screen. But they are more expensive then the Kobo Libra H2O or the Kobo Forma.

Have a look on MR and you'll see that a lot of people prefer the larger screen to a 6" screen size. Be it Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook, Onyx, Tolino, or Likebook.

If you need or want to read with a large font size, then a larger screen would do better. 6" is now a small screen size given the influx of larger screen sizes.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the US, the prefix 555 is used in phone numbers in books, TV shows, movies, etc. is 555 as that will always give an error when dialed. So there is no chance of a real number being given out.
Actually, the correct range is 555-0100 through 555-0199. And 555-1212 usually connects to information.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 AM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Here's an article about the dangers of using real phone numbers in movies, tv shows and music. https://www.syracuse.com/entertainme...hn_wick_2.html

Shari
2003? Wow, the 555 recommendation has been around since the 60's
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You want to run ADE on the computer so you can use Calibre and the DeDRM plugin to remove any DRM so you can kep your eBooks.
I don't have ADE on my Linux computer (and can't seem to make Wine work for the job), so that point is moot for me. Most of the books I read now are library books from Overdrive, so I'm not moving them into Calibre anyhow. But there are some DRM ePubs I buy from bookstores that I'll just have to read on the PocketBooks or Tolinos (they can also be stored on PocketBook's or Tolino's Cloud). I mostly use Calibre to convert Amazon books into ePub.

Quote:
The problem with the Pocketbook HD3 is it's only a 6" screen. There are other Pocketbook models with a larger screen. But they are more expensive then the Kobo Libra H2O or the Kobo Forma.
The 6" screen doesn't (personally) bother me but, more importantly in regards to this thread, the PocketBook HD 3 was one the three devices the OP specifically brought up and asked about.

Quote:
Have a look on MR and you'll see that a lot of people prefer the larger screen to a 6" screen size. Be it Kobo, Amazon, Pocketbook, Onyx, Tolino, or Likebook.
I like the 6.8" screen on my Kobo Aura HD, but find the 7.8" screen on the Tolino Epos too big and bulky. But I also like my 6" (even 5") screens. I'm near-sighted and (so far) am able to read fairly small type, so smaller screens and smaller fonts are not (yet) problems for me. I'm almost 65, so that may change at some point.

Quote:
If you need or want to read with a large font size, then a larger screen would do better. 6" is now a small screen size given the influx of larger screen sizes.
The smaller screen is more convenient for carrying. I do think a 6.8" screen is a good compromise and kind of wish PocketBook would market one of that size.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #24
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The smaller screen is more convenient for carrying. I do think a 6.8" screen is a good compromise and kind of wish PocketBook would market one of that size.
A 6" e-reader to carry or to handle comfortably and a 10.3" e-reader for home. The 7" and 8" e-readers are either too big or too small for me.

(Kobo Clara HD vs PocketBook InkPad X)...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zTF...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPJ...w?usp=drivesdk
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
A 6" e-reader to carry or to handle comfortably and a 10.3" e-reader for home. The 7" and 8" e-readers are either too big or too small for me.

(Kobo Clara HD vs PocketBook InkPad X)...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zTF...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zPJ...w?usp=drivesdk
How can an 8" screen be too big when you have a 10.3" screen? I would expect the 10.3" screen even more too large.

I do think that most will find the Kobo Libra H2O a very nice size. I know when it comes time for me to buy a new Reader, I'll be deciding if I want a 7" or 8" screen.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #26
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
How can an 8" screen be too big when you have a 10.3" screen? I would expect the 10.3" screen even more too large.
At home I use the e-reader with the larger screen (10.3") and on the go I use the e-reader with the smaller screen (6"). The e-readers with intermediate screen sizes (7", 8") I hardly use now.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #27
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
Thanks everyone, I ended up going with the Pocketbook!
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
At home I use the e-reader with the larger screen (10.3") and on the go I use the e-reader with the smaller screen (6"). The e-readers with intermediate screen sizes (7", 8") I hardly use now.
I do not find my Kobo Aura H2O too large. It's a 6.8" screen. It's not too large to take out.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #29
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1 View Post
Thanks everyone, I ended up going with the Pocketbook!
Nice, I do like mine. Go over to the KoReader sub-forum to read the thread about KoReader on a Pocketbook. Perhaps I missed it; but I don't think anyone mentioned the answer to your white-on-dark-background question in relation to Pocketbook. You can do so; but as far as I know; only by using KoReader. (I could be wrong; and use KoReader in ignorance of a better way to accomplish that).

I'm sure you also noticed there is a Pocketbook sub-forum.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote