Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have any problems with SD cards in the Cybook?
No problem here! 34 69.39%
Don't have a SD card to test it. 4 8.16%
Yes, it doesn't lock when I push it inside. 4 8.16%
Yes, if I insert it the Cybook will not read it or hang. 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Do you have any problems with SD cards in the Cybook?

Because I'm reading more and more about people that are having problems with SD cards in combination with the Cybook Gen 3, I thought it would be a good idea to start a poll to get an overview on how big the issue is.

Last edited by diabloNL; 12-17-2007 at 03:07 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Because I'm reading more and more about people that are having problems with SD cards in combination with the Cybook Gen 3, I thought it would be a good idea to start a poll to get an overview on how big the issue is.

This is strange because Bookeen has, today, responded to a querying email I sent in stating they *do* test. I'm now posting the response I got from Bookeen.

Hello Derek,

Sorry we have been a bit unresponsive on the issues raised by our customers and I hope that we will enhance this part of our company very fast.

We follow very closely these issues, the SD card problem is very annoying and we try to understand form where it can come from and how. In theory, it should not be possible, at least just after receiving the device because we always test the SD card reader.

The Library frozen issue, is also under investigation. We will clearly answer all these issues. And we will leave no one with a defective unit. We have been clearly surprised by our success and we are strengthening our support team to answer these questions and offering a good service support.

Regards,

Michael
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
Good - I shall now wait for my reply. It is a shame for it is an excellent ebook reader and in combination with the leather case provides a very good reading experience.

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I'm now charging it so I can't say if it works with a SD card. The only thing I could check was if the card locks inside and it does. But I have to say that pushing it until you hit the housing with your finger is not enough, you really need to press it further with your nail to get it to lock. Maybe that will help for the people who are having problems with that.

EDIT: Just tested it and it works fine. Although I needed to connect it to my PC first before the books placed in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card showed up on the Cybook. At first I inserted the SD card and when I then inserted it in my SD card reader on the PC there was a folder "ebooks". I placed some txt files in there but when I inserted the card in the Cybook they didn't show up.

So then I formatted the card again and inserted it back in the Cybook. After that I connected the Cybook to the computer and when it was ready installing drivers I placed some books in the folder "ebooks" on the SD card. Then they were showing up in the Cybook.

Last edited by diabloNL; 12-18-2007 at 11:43 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
fugsly
living dead girl
fugsly began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
It wouldn't lock in until i used the back of a pen then it clicked nicely in place. It does look like a slight design fault, goes too far in or something.

Not bothered so long as it works.
fugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
dobbyone
dobbyone began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, HTC Tytn II, DR1000S
Indeed, I had to use my nail to get the SD card but it's not a big deal, I use the same technique with my phone. Anyway, I don't see a reason to take the card out as it appears as a drive once you connect the cybook.
dobbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
heyjohn
heyjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Palm Zire
Missing poll option: Some cards work, others don't. The 2GB Transcend card that shipped with my Cybook works fine. A 16MB card (formerly a "starter" card for a camera) does not. The Cybook will create the usual 3 directories on the card, but will not recognize any content placed in them.
heyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
johnabooth
johnabooth began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Gen3
Another missing poll option. My 2GB card that came with Bookeen works most of the time. Sometimes on startup it's not recognized and I have to pull it and put it back in. Annoying but minor -- love it all in all. Finally figured out my page turn freeze -- with the case on I tend to hit the upper right corner rather than "right" after a while.

-John
johnabooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
kakemoms
kakemoms began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjohn View Post
Missing poll option: Some cards work, others don't. The 2GB Transcend card that shipped with my Cybook works fine. A 16MB card (formerly a "starter" card for a camera) does not. The Cybook will create the usual 3 directories on the card, but will not recognize any content placed in them.
Almost the same here; although cybook does not make any directories onto my SD card, I can read it's content through Cybook. I.e. it pops up as two removeable drives of which one is the cybook internal and the other is the SD card in the cybook (a 256MB SanDisk card).

Creating directories on the card or placing files there seems to work, but the Cybook does not display it afterwards.. FAT or FAT32, case sensitive or not.. no solution yet.

PS: I also tried a card reader, but no luck; it displays the content, but files will not display on the cybook afterwards.

Last edited by kakemoms; 01-05-2008 at 05:31 AM.
kakemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I have a Kingston 1MB card and never had any problems at all. I put all my books onto the chip and I never put it into a card reader, always connected the Cybook so I could at the same time take care of charging. Came preformatted out of the box (as I understand it normally all SD cards come preformatted) so I never had to do anything except put it into the device.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
GoodHope
GoodHope began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
After having also the problem, that the cybook doesn't recognize my Panasonic 64MB SD-Card, (which is working in all other devices I have and I can mount and write on it through the cybook, but the files don' show up at library) I bought an Kingston 1 GB Micro SD with Adapter to SD and everything (exept autocreation of folders, which is of course not needed) is working fine now.
GoodHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
stefand
stefand began at the beginning.

I have a 2GB "SecureDigital Fromel1" card and half of the time, the cybook doesn't recognize it, so I have to remove and insert it several times until it's recognized.
When I read a pdf form the Card, sometimes the cybook freezes and I have to do a reset.
The card works without any problems in my laptop cardreader and cellphone, so I don't think that there is any problem with it.
stefand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not a question of there being anything wrong with it - it's a question of compatibility. I'd suggest buying another card and trying that. A basic, cheap one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
stefand
stefand began at the beginning.

I just put a two years old 2 GB "MMC Plus Kingston" card in the cybook and it seems to work without any problems, so it's in fact just a question of which card you have...
Maybe it would be helpfull for people who want to buy a new card to make a list of which cards work?
stefand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefand View Post
I just put a two years old 2 GB "MMC Plus Kingston" card in the cybook and it seems to work without any problems, so it's in fact just a question of which card you have...
Maybe it would be helpfull for people who want to buy a new card to make a list of which cards work?
There is already such a list on the wiki for the iLiad. Perhaps they use a similar controller and will use the same cards.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote