Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #346
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Hi ProDigit,

I guess you miss what i and davidfor write in your thread:

Spoiler:

Back in the Aura 6" days I'm almost certain there was a refresh page every chapter option. Is there a possible way to reintroduce this via a patch?
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #347
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusephur View Post
Back in the Aura 6" days I'm almost certain there was a refresh page every chapter option. Is there a possible way to reintroduce this via a patch?
From memory, that option was only on the Aura. I don't think there was a way to use it on any of the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #348
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I thought there was a patch where you could set a large number (oh the humanity), and a page refresh was forced at the beginning of each chapter?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #349
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Ok, now I'm interested. I know there is a patch for up to 99 pages, but I wasn't aware it also refreshed at the beginning of each chapter.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #350
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ok, now I'm interested. I know there is a patch for up to 99 pages, but I wasn't aware it also refreshed at the beginning of each chapter.
Sorry. I was wrong. I thought it was default behavior for the firmware. I just tested and it doesn't refresh at the start of each chapter.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #351
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You don't need to patch anything. You just need to edit the config file and change the number for the refresh. The patch changes the numbers offered in the drop down to something other than 1 to 6.

As I said, my memory says the refresh at the beginning of a chapter was an Aura thing only. But, I think it did appear in the firmware for other devices. And I think when it did, there were a lot of complaints.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #352
aqswde
aqswde began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Scroll to the [Reading] Section, and add the following line:
fullScreenReading=true

Save the file, disconnect the Kobo as normal. This by itself will not have changed anything, however, when you open the Reading Setting while reading a book, there is now a new option that was previously hidden, "Show Header and Footer." Remove the check mark to get use of your full screen. Note that when you are in full screen mode, the 'margin' slider will not always update the display on the fly. You have to adjust your margin, press the home icon to close the book, and re-open it, for the new margins to be in effect.
Do you know how to set the css file to stop the clipping of letters on the right side? I know it's a known bug, but I get the impression that some have had luck adjusting the css, but I haven't found a setting that works.
aqswde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #353
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqswde View Post
Do you know how to set the css file to stop the clipping of letters on the right side? I know it's a known bug, but I get the impression that some have had luck adjusting the css, but I haven't found a setting that works.
It's nothing to do with CSS. You need to apply the appropriate patch(es).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #354
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqswde View Post

That's what the kobo_extra.css file is for. You can append those lines directly into the book css file if you like, but the combination of that file and checking the setting in the Calibre driver does the work for you as you send the books to the device.

Last edited by rashkae; 06-11-2017 at 02:18 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #355
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's nothing to do with CSS. You need to apply the appropriate patch(es).
No firmware patching is required for my suggestions to work. (But I sincerely thank Geoff and the contributers to the pathes for showing and documenting how it's done.)

Last edited by rashkae; 06-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #356
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
No firmware patching is required for my suggestions to work. (But I sincerely thank Geoff and the contributers to the pathes for showing and documenting how it's done.)
So what CSS fixes the problem? I've not read of any CSS fixing the problem. The only thing I've seen that fixes the problem is the patches.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #357
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
This topic seems to contain a lot of useful tips, but it's also pretty long, and somehow "polluted" by discussion (to which I am adding, of course).

Is there, somewhere, a compilation of such tricks? Or maybe an "extended manual", detailing functionalities that are poorly covered in the official manual, and, presumably, poorly documented configuration options?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #358
parchment
parchment began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Any one know how to get kobo books to desk top or calibre when the kobo ereader's not working any more ??
parchment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #359
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by parchment View Post
Any one know how to get kobo books to desk top or calibre when the kobo ereader's not working any more ??
Install the Kobo app on your computer and download your books. Then find the book files on your computer and copy them into Calibre.

The Kobo device probably has to be awake and functioning for the pc to mount it and show the files.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #360
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Hate to say but you can't just copy the books from Kobo Desktop to Calibre; the downloaded books are DRM protected by Kobo's own DRM scheme.

You'll need to search for Apprentice Alf and look for the obok tool to add them to Calibre.

Alternatively on the Kobo website, when you look at your purchased books (I forget the exact name) you'll see the option to download an epub version. Selecting that will download an ACSM file that when opened via ADE will download an epub.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote