Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Paperwhite jailbreak to remove ads?

Hi folks,

I'm new here... so hey!
I recently picked up a Kindle Paperwhite from Waterstones (a UK book store).

You may have already seen some threads on this, but if not, this version of the Paperwhite comes with some ugly Waterstones screensavers. They're not the default Amazon ads/screensavers.

How can I remove these? Will a jailbreak help? If so, what's the process?
It's my very first Kindle... so I'm a little clueless!

Another thing that might be interesting is: I actually live in Germany, and I'm going back there soon. Maybe the Waterstones ads won't show up if I use it in Germany?

Thanks,
J.

Last edited by jforner; 11-25-2012 at 09:52 AM.
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To remove the ads is to pay Amazon to get rid of the ads. We frown on cheating Amazon which is what removing the ads is (without paying).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hey JSWolf,

Problem is, you are unable to pay to remove the ads on this Waterstones version of the Paperwhite. They have an exclusive deal with Amazon to display their own ads - and you can't get rid of them.

https://twitter.com/Waterstones/stat...84670203547649

It's recently been announced that they have no interest in removing it.
So, as you can see, I'm stuck with a Waterstones screensaver that I can't remove.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you should have bought an ad free PW from Amazon and not one with ads. If you get help on removing the ads, then others will also see how to do it and do it without paying. You could try to return your PW and get one from Amazon with no ads.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@JSWolf,

This seems a little harsh and unfriendly to a new MR member. I have to say that it has always been my understanding (perhaps wrong) that all Kindle models sold in the UK to-date have been non-Special Offers - we pay full price always.

It's possible the Waterstone's deal has changed this but it wouldn't surprise me to find lots of people being confused.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@JSWolf,

This seems a little harsh and unfriendly to a new MR member. I have to say that it has always been my understanding (perhaps wrong) that all Kindle models sold in the UK to-date have been non-Special Offers - we pay full price always.

It's possible the Waterstone's deal has changed this but it wouldn't surprise me to find lots of people being confused.
There have been other thread(s) on removing ads and the consensus is that the mods are against this.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jackie,

I'd recommend returning your PW to Waterstones and buying one from Amazon instead. If Waterstones baulk at the return, the adverts on the home page (which are certainly not mentioned anywhere) give you ample justification to return it, I think. As you very rightly say, you shouldn't be paying the same as the Amazon price and getting adverts.

All the best,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There have been other thread(s) on removing ads and the consensus is that the mods are against this.
I fully agree that if you have knowingly paid less to agreed to ads then you shouldn't be asking for help on how to remove them.

However, I think you've totally missed my point. A UK user may not be aware they have a Special Offers Kindle as previously all UK Kindle purchasers have only been able to buy the fully paid-up non-ad version. No cheapies here (or anywhere else other than the US???)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Harry,

That's good advice to the OP. I'm not a Kindle owner myself, I (foolishly?) poked my nose into someone else's business as I didn't like JSWolf's implied accusations of bad intent, especially to a new member.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, Jackie; I thought you were the OP . My advice still stands, as you say.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
jforner

@JSWofl - "Then you should have bought an ad free PW from Amazon and not one with ads." Wow, what a warm welcome for me.

As Jackie said, no one is aware of these Waterstones specific ads until you actually buy the thing. I wish I could have plopped my crystal ball on the cash register and looked into the future - as you so aptly describe as the correct procedure.

A thank you to the others that showed a little courtesy. Many others are discovering the annoyance. I do hope a solution unveils itself.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Is this a collection of screensavers that feature Waterstones branding and not necessarily an advert as such? (The special offers Kindles sold in the US feature different ads/offers for specific items and they change or are updated for new offers from time to time. They are shown as screensavers, plus they now have banner ads displaying on the home page).

If so, it's maybe a bit more like when you buy a mobile phone that has a themed, branded display rather than adverts? Usually phones have the option to remove this branding in the options somewhere, that should be an option for the Kindle too.... otherwise Waterstones should include the fact that's it's branded in the sales information.

If it's just a screensaver, you could you look in the Developers Forum, you'll be able to see more information about jailbreaking, and could ask to find out if a screensaver hack would work, but you really shouldn't have to do this. Like HarryT says, you do have the option to take it back to them and say you want a refund if there is no option to remove the Waterstones branding.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My understanding (and I'm sure that jforner will correct me if I'm wrong) is that a PW bought from Waterstones displays a single, Waterstones-branded, screensaver, rather than the range of screensavers that the standard PW has. There are no adverts on the home page, like the "Kindle with Special Offers" has - it's just the screensaver.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
jforner

Harry's correct indeed. Exactly the problem.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Have you contacted Kindle customer service to ask if there's anything that they can push to your Kindle to get the standard screensavers?