Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
From MS Word 2010 to ePub

Yes, I suspect that this question has been posted before but a newbie is a newbie....
How can I most easily convert my documents from MS Office to ePub.
Mostly text, few diagrams.
All nice answers appreciated!
Olle
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't use Windows or the latest MS Office. But in principle, you should export the document to (X)HTML, then use Calibre on it.

I hope that someone else will give you more precise instructions on Word side, so that exported document is "tame" and produces good results after the conversion. Or you can experiment on your own.
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I don't use Windows or the latest MS Office. But in principle, you should export the document to (X)HTML, then use Calibre on it.

I hope that someone else will give you more precise instructions on Word side, so that exported document is "tame" and produces good results after the conversion. Or you can experiment on your own.
That's what I usually do for the first step. Then I open the HTML file and clean it up by hand. Step 3 is drag and drop into calibre.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
I use Word for all primary editing and formatting and stylizations. Save as htm-filtered.
I then load into Dreamweaver, clean up the word html, strip out word-css at top, load in a valid css (that happens to match the word styles - copy out the word css at top, and use a css validator to clean up), convert to xhtml in Dreamweaver. The produces near-completely-valid/compliant xhtml, with only 1 or 2 things that need to be hand-corrected to make it fully valid.
Load into calibre. Convert until happy.
While extra-horsey-around-ier, it makes output the cleanest I can make without hand-editing line-by-line (Lazy, you know).
-bjc
Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Thanks!
Olle
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
thames
thames began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
I prefer to use OpenOffice - it's sometimes not totally correct html, but far, far nearer than Word. eCub and Jutoh accept the OO code, but never that of Word. I've also tried Abiword (a nice, lighweight WP) and that produced cleaner code still. Both are available from portableapps.com to run on a stick.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
thames
thames began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
As another thought - how about writing in xhtml use EXE from http://exelearning.org - and then converting. I've used this a lot on our VLE, it';s portable (run from a USB stick) and produces totally complaint xtml.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
jemyers77
jemyers77 began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak 6" EZ-Reader; Kobo wireless; PB 360; Kindle4; Pocketbook Pro
Calibre also does a nice job converting clean RTF files to EPUB. Conversely, if you get an EPUB file that needs some work, use Calibre to convert the file to RTF, edit using MSWord, import the edited RTF file to Calibre, then convert back to EPUB.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Talking you may try a new tool - epub maker

http://download.cnet.com/ePub-Maker/...html?tag=mncol
this tool can convert MS Word to epub in one click.
There're still some bugs, but can be fixed before release of 1.0.
maybe you can have a try.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
justbobf
justbobf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Easiest Way for Me…

The last post was 4 years ago, so maybe everyone has found a better way, by now.

For me, the easiest way to make a great ePub file is to use Apple's Pages and Export straight to ePub.

It is important for me to be able to edit the file in just one place, Pages. That way, if there are edits to the book later, we just update the one file and Export to ePub again. Nothing in post-editing is lost.

Pages will import MS Word files, and as long as the Word file is simple, as it should be for an ePub, the file should open quite nicely.

Be sure to tag all the text in Pages. Chapter titles need a separate Paragraph Style. Be sure to set the Chapter Title paragraph style to begin text on a new page.

Make a Table of Contents in Pages and select it and then choose which Paragraph Styles will be included in the Table of Contents.

Then, Export as an ePub. The very best way, in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why resurrect such an old thread from its grave. There are many threads about this from a later date or even start a new thread...

I use of course my own Word add-in to clean up OCR (and publishers) errors and create an ePUB with clean HTML as result.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Do not necropost unless there is a sufficient reason for such a post.

Keep in mind that this is a FOUR YEAR-OLD THREAD!

This thread is now closed.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-20-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Closed Thread