Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will E-Books Survive?

Quote:
But what are the advantages of having a popular novel on e-book format over printed format? Can you take it to the beach? Or relax with it in the tub? No. Is it cheaper or easier to read? No. In fact, e-books actually bring additional concerns to readers, such as whether the battery in your e-book reader needs to be replaced or recharged.
I don't necessarily agree with Brighthand author Steven Bush; make your own opinion and read here .
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
Re: Will E-Books Survive?

Quote:
Originally posted by TadW
I don't necessarily agree with Brighthand author Steven Bush.
Neither do I. Although I'm an old-fashioned reader who really likes the smell and feel of a new book and who appreciates subtle design cues (choice of typeface, margins, use of white space, etc.) in well designed books, the time I spend reading e-books has crept up to match the time I spend reading p-books.

Sure, the disadvantages that Steve Bush mentions can be a little annoying, but I find it funny that he hardly mentions the advantages that e-books have over p-books (e.g., portablility, bookmarks, annotations, no need for a light, etc.). Also, some of the good qualities that he cites for digital photos and music (falling cost of memory cards, easier to carry a small card than a bunch of CDs) are easily applicable to e-books.

Finally, the fact that e-books are not yet "better, cheaper, and easier" is not inherent in their being e-books, IMO; methinks that it has more to do with the way DRM has been implemented in e-books and the inconvenience that current DRM schemes pose for e-book readers.

I think the potential for the e-book market to grow is still there, and that there will be room for both formats for some time to come.

Just my $0.02
jasondv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert