Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
jomcl67
jomcl67 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 300
Not Recognised By Computer

Hi all, I hope someone can help me.
I have a prs300 that is continually showing the opening book page, rebooting
several times before showing the firmware update did not complete successfully page. The only time the computer sees the reader is when it is in the update firmware page. I have since been directed to a version of the 505 updater for the 300 but all that does is takes me back to the opening book page and the rebooting begins again.
Is there anyone out there that can help pleeeaaasee
jomcl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
jomcl67

oh well. I take it that the no reply means that i've got big problems
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, jomcl67, sorry there wasn't a reply. I just saw your post today.

I think more information would be helpful.

You have the Sony 300.
You are in the USA?
What computer operating system are you using? (Mac or PC Win XP, Vista, Win 7)?

What firmware update are you trying to do and why?

What file format books have you recently tried to load to your Reader?

Are you using the Sony Reader Library or calibre or both?

It will be much easier for more experienced members to help, if we have more information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
jomcl67

Hi Dreams, thanks for replying.
I am from the UK and I am using Win7.
I was using calibre but have since tried Sony Reader Library but to no avail.
Before having any problems with the reader I was mainly using .epub and .lit format books with no problems. But after a period of non usage the reader wouldn't go past the opening book page. It is fully charged via a PSP charger.
After using the reset button at the bottom of the reader several times ( and trying the down and zero button combination) the screen then went to firmware update unsuccessful screen.
Having searched the net I came across the modified 505 flasher and the russification firmware. Thinking that I could get the reader back to a usable state I tried the flasher but all it did was take me back to the opening book page.
In windows it says that the internal memory has no media.
Anyway if there are any thoughts on my predicament I could use all the help I can get.
Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, jomcl67, I think you went beyond my ability to understand and help. I think you are stuck in the firmware update stage.

I'll see if I can flag someone to take a look at your posts and offer help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
jomcl67

Yeah Dreams I know what you mean. I've definitely went past my own ability and understanding Anyway once again any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Rydertheblack
Þýskaland sonur
Rydertheblack began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900 // prs650
ok. That's simple. You are using a PRS300... there is not any update for this reader. if you were trying to "update" this reader... it's not going to work, even worst: The unit needs to be replaced.
Rydertheblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
jomcl67

Hmm not as simple as it sounds. Wasn't trying to "update" the reader but was told on another forum that the flasher would bring it back to a workable state. As it happened it did nothing and I still have the same symptoms as before. (the reader that is...not me)
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Will windows allow you to format it?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
If nothing else works, you may want to try this hack:
http://www.pepak.net/files/e-books/p..._hack-0.01.zip

Its flashing process is based on the russification hack which already failed you, but it may happen it will work. Or maybe not. So far I know of one user who bricked his reader using it.

Another thing to try, maybe: You can try to e-mail support@digiknihy.cz. It's a company which sells readers here in Czech Republic, and a part of their service comprises of adding czech support to their readers. I know they will also update firmware for readers bought abroad. I don't know if they can (and will) unbrick your reader, but I wouldn't be surprised. Of course, it would cost you - first for shipping fees and second for the unbricking itself.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have a very bad feeling about this.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe the original situation may have been caused by a book with a broken format and/or a corrupted database file on the Reader (it would help if one of the far gooier gurus would drop in here and check me on that). A big part of the problem is going to be sorting out what was the original problem from what came later when you tried to fix it.

You said you weren't trying to update the reader, but someone told you that flashing it with the 505 updater would bring it back to a usable state. The problem is, that is updating it, and updating it with software for a very different device. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but if you tried to flash a 300 with a 505 updater, and the process got further than the software saying "Hey, that's a 300, I don't speak 300!", you've probably done something Very Bad™ to the device.

If you have a full charge on it, which you've said you have, if you've both soft- and hard-reset it without it recovering, and if Windows Explorer can't see the internal memory, I think you've bricked it.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. My next step would be to contact Sony tech support. You have nothing to lose by trying. I suspect, though, that money is going to have to change hands -- either to Sony, or to the debricking service that pepak mentioned.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
jomcl67

Hi all. Whew where do I start.
No. Windows wont let me format it as it only recognises the reader as having no media in it (like a cd player with no cd in it). Thanks anyway Merlock.
Because Windows doesn't recognise it as a hard drive, I can't use the flash file as suggested by Pepak but thanks for the suggestion.
Given the feedback and possible solutions you have suggested I think that I am beginning to agree with Worldwalker in that it sounds like I've bricked it and the only solution might be Sony.
Thanks again to all for your comments and I will let you know how I get on.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Windows see it as having no media both with and without a memory card in it? (I doubt if that's going to matter, but with something like this, the more data we have to examine, the better)
Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
jomcl67

There is no memory card slot on the PRS-300
Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Oops.