Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Magazines at Project Gutenberg

I was debating subscribing to Asimov's or Alfred Hitchcock again next year if I get enough micropay dollars at Fictionwise before that. But then I noticed in my RSS feed that PG is publishing The Strand, the magazine the Sherlock Holmes stories first appeared in, and now I am wondering if it might be worth compiling the links for a year's worth of those and downloading them. They are illustrated and look quite nice; and I enjoy the Holmes stories, so may enjoy other work intended for that audience.

Gutenberg has a few other ones, like Punch (a fav of Lewis Carroll) and The Atlantic Monthly. Has anyone read these? Do they hold up well? Would anyone be interested in reading a year of these with me and having a little book club about them in lieu of buying a more current magazine subscription?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thank you for the heads up - these magazines seem to be wonderfully formatted - even the illustrations! I can't commit to a book club right now but I will enjoy reading them - there are enough Holmes fans on this board you should pick up members.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
There is also the 1930- 1931 issues of Astounding out there are well...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Glad to see some other magazine fans! FYI, I did a quick scan and these are the complete (or fairly complete) sets I found at first glance:

The Strand (first half of 1893)
Punch (most of 1914 and 1920, bits of other years)
Graham's Magazine (all of 1848)
The Arena (much of 1891)
Atlantic Monthly (1859-62, 4 complete; 1863-4 missing 1 month each, bits of other years)
Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (All of 1843 and 1844, bits of other years)
Continental Monthly (all of 1862 and 1864, bits of other years)
Lippincott's Magazine (many, but each year is missing some)

I am not sure how many of these are fairly stand-alone and how many heavily rely on being read in sequence, but I think I will start with the ones which are complete years. S/he who dies with the largest library in Calibre wins, right?

ETA: Link to Bookshelf for easy browsing

Last edited by ficbot; 11-11-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: link added
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote