Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
ADE css

People here always say that ADE is problematic when it comes to CSS rules. If the CSS is not accepted by ADE it will not be loaded at all.
How about inline CSS rules? What happens if ADE sees a CSS rule inline in the html file that it doesn't like? Will the style simply not apply or the object won' t even show...?
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try it out...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Try it out...

I always wonder why more folk don't?
It is not like 'this will destroy your ..." AFAIK there are zero reports of (ADE/MRSDK) readers going up in flames over a bad CSS entry
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

The reasons I did not try is because i am travelling now, so sometimes you can spend days on the road... Also, if someone already has the answer there is no point in doing that myself. Last thing, this question is not only for me, but to help other people also
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thing is, why even try it? It's a waste of time. CSS code should be in the CSS and not in the XML.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thing is, why even try it? It's a waste of time. CSS code should be in the CSS and not in the XML.
If I have a special page with some very specific styling needs, I can imagine using an internal stylesheet instead of an external one. The external one would not have an added benefit in that case. Cover pages often have an internal stylesheet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Internal would keep you from having to undo so much in such a special case.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Internal would keep you from having to undo so much in such a special case.
But there is the option of another stylesheet other then the main one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For one off, I can't see how it makes any difference. If you are doing the same thing more than once, then you are just being wasteful to repeat it and also running the risk of the files getting out of sync.

I can see an advantage to internal in the case of someone reusing the same title page over and over and just changing the title itself. You load it in and change the title itself and you are good to go, all in one file and no linking either. I might well do something like that if i had to make ebooks for a living. (which I don't, Thank God!)
Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
For one off, I can't see how it makes any difference. If you are doing the same thing more than once, then you are just being wasteful to repeat it and also running the risk of the files getting out of sync.

Cover, Title Page, Copyright Page, Dedication, ..., all of that "useless" front matter. Sometimes it is just easier to have a nice pre-built template, and you can just plop the HTML file into a given book and not be reliant on other external CSS.

In many cases, these look and are treated differently from the main text anyway.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:29 AM   #11
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
People here always say that ADE is problematic when it comes to CSS rules. If the CSS is not accepted by ADE it will not be loaded at all.
How about inline CSS rules? What happens if ADE sees a CSS rule inline in the html file that it doesn't like? Will the style simply not apply or the object won' t even show...?
I'm pretty sure it will just throw away the style declaration for that element. Of course, if that causes the element to have "visibility: none", then....

There's an easy way to find out.

PHP Code:
<html>
    <
head>
        <
style type="text/css">
evil {

displaynone;
            }
        </
style>
    </
head>
    <
body>
        <
class="evil" style="display: block !important; filter:alpha(opacity=100);">Is this visible?</p>
    </
body>
</
html
Incidentally, if memory serves, I've found it occasionally necessary to work around bugs in readers' handling of CSS by adding inline styles in SVG content. YMMV.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
odedta
Addict

I see, thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone

It is important to note that in some devices, hidden is hidden alright, but the space it occupies is still counted by the device's epub renderer and can shove text where you don't want it.

Important to check this case in the devices you want to create for.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
odedta
Addict

even as display:none? I thought that happens only when you use the visibility:hidden rule.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
even as display:none? I thought that happens only when you use the visibility:hidden rule.
And that's actually the point of "visibility:hidden", that's what it should do. "display:hidden" is simply a mistake.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote