Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
sandiegodude
sandiegodude began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best browser on a daylight ereader?

Hello everyone!
I am researching readers and I don't know whether the reviews I've been reading are legitimate or sponsored by manufacturers and resellers so I thought I'd check with you ereader'ers in the trenches for your opinions. :-)
I'm looking for an ereader that I can read in direct sunlight that has a responsive web browser. I don't need flash or youtube or anything like that, mostly for static webpages to read news, articles, forums, etc. It's my understanding that while browsing on e ink and e paper devices have come a long way, they're still behind the times compared to standard LCD tablets.

The device would be my device for trips to the beach or park or backyard lounging. I have a tablet and laptop and cellphone that I can use anywhere except in daylight (especially with sunglasses on).

What are your thoughts?

sandiegodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Barnes & Noble deleted the Browser on the Nook, so don't even think about that...
Although you can root the Nook and install a browser, I believe.

The Kindle has a decent browser (for an e-ink) but it can freeze up if the page is too complex. Mobile-optimized websites should work fine on it, though. The few sites I have browsed on my Kindle Touch (like wikipedia) have been very snappy if they were mobile-optimized.

The Kobo has a browser, but I don't have one so I don't know how good it is. It is probably just about as good.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
sandiegodude
sandiegodude began at the beginning.

Thanks for the 411. So the Kindle has the best web browser right now on e-ink ereaders? I don't know about he Kobo either, (I've never even seen one).
Do you think the Kindle is hackable? Like the old Nooks could take on android software. BTW. Which Kindle are you referring to? I see there are like 10 different kinds to choose from!

Thanks in advance
sandiegodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegodude View Post
Thanks for the 411. So the Kindle has the best web browser right now on e-ink ereaders? I don't know about he Kobo either, (I've never even seen one).
Do you think the Kindle is hackable? Like the old Nooks could take on android software. BTW. Which Kindle are you referring to? I see there are like 10 different kinds to choose from!

Thanks in advance
I don't know how good it is in comparison to other e-inks, I just know the Kindle does do good service. It does have a jailbreak, and people do all kinds of hacks for it, check out the Kindle subforum "Kindle Developers Corner". And you will want to go with either the KTouch or PW, not the older ones, because, well, they're OLD! But the Kindle is not Android, so it can't take Android apps.

I favor the Kindle because Amazon is great at providing a stable ereader that just focuses on reading, and Kobo's firmware is never completely stable from what I've heard -- they're always patching bugs and upgrading it and focusing on features I just don't consider essential to reading.

And it's pretty much between the two of them, really. Sony withdrew from the market, and the Nook is a joke since B&N seems to hate their customers...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle's web browser is fine for simple sites, but you really wouldn't want to use it as a "real" web browser; it's too slow and too restrictive.

Sorry, but you honestly do need an LCD tablet for proper web browsing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The best browsing experience will be on a rooted Android e-reader because you have the choice of multiple browsers. The Nook STR is probably the best bet. Saying that, you need to be tech-savvy to root it effectively. Sadly, I have to agree with HarryT and say browsing on an e-reader is a pain, but it's okay for very occasional use.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle's web browser is fine for simple sites, but you really wouldn't want to use it as a "real" web browser; it's too slow and too restrictive.

Sorry, but you honestly do need an LCD tablet for proper web browsing.
Ditto for my Sony PRS-T1. I use the browser occasionally to download a book from the library or Sony store, but that's all.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Hello everyone!
The device would be my device for trips to the beach or park or backyard lounging. I have a tablet and laptop and cellphone that I can use anywhere except in daylight (especially with sunglasses on).

What are your thoughts?

Good anti-glare mat screen protector together with shade cap and homemade cardboard(duck-taped) sunshade, works fine for me, when using laptop or lcd tablet in the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwNxukJXO0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlEBhq3r61U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKP8Wo2XtkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiV2FaPw44c

Last edited by markom; 02-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread is essentially a duplicate of this thread.

I hate to repeat myself, but someone searching for the same thing could find this thread and overlook the other. The threads should be merged.

Anyway, the xo-4 touch and xo-4 tablet (and probably older models) have these specs from the factory:

*e-ink (one of the modes available on the pixelqi screen is reflective LCD; also has color lcd mode)
*Fedora OS (proper linux, not crippled like Android.. no need to hack it)
*browser engine: Mozilla (but the factory browser is leaner than Firefox)
*Flash support: limited - using gnash (very lean but only works on ~half the pages)
*JavaScript: uses XULRunner (same as Firefox uses)

Installable options:
*Opera
*Firefox (yes, full-blown FF can be installed if FF plug-ins are needed, but it's said to really peg the resources)
*Adobe Flash (fat and proprietary, but can be installed if flash is important enough)

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 02-17-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A PixelQi screen is not assuredly not eInk. EInk is a trademark owned by the company of the same name, and refers specifically to electrophoretic displays. PixelQi use a totally different technology.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A PixelQi screen is not assuredly not eInk. EInk is a trademark owned by the company of the same name, and refers specifically to electrophoretic displays. PixelQi use a totally different technology.
The trademark that was registered is actually "E Ink" (with a space). It's owned by E Ink Corporation, and indeed an abbreviation for electrophoretic ink. However, I said "e-ink" (note the hyphen and casing), which obviously does not reference the proprietary "E Ink" brand, but rather as an abbreviation for "electronic ink", just as "e-mail" abbreviates electronic mail. I can understand the confusion though, so I'll try to say e-paper when talking generally about all paper-like display technologies to avoid confusion.

There are a variety of different kinds of e-paper, and it's clear that the OP is not after a particular proprietary brand, but rather anything paper-like. The reflective LCD variety implemented in the hybrid pixelqi display is quite suitable for the OPs needs.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
The best browser on an E-Ink device I've (personally) seen is on the Sony PRS-T1, T2, T3. The browser is actually responsive. Still E-Ink and still does a lot of blinking, but it actually scrolls and pinch to zoom works well. I'd check out some of the reviews on Youtube. (I currently own a PRS-T2, but Internet usage is not a priority for me on my eReaders -- so I can't really say I've tested it a lot.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote