Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #286
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Now.. that's grand, as there never was a 5.4.0 bin....
We are discussing the PW1 and the Touch, both of which DO have downgrade bins.

Whenever we do get this update, if it isn't working by then, I am SOOO downgrading!

Fortunately, I can.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #287
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
We were discussing the PW2 . But hey, don't be bothered by my blabbing, I only started this thread....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #288
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
We were discussing the PW2 . But hey, don't be bothered by my blabbing, I only started this thread....
No me and JSWolf in the last two posts were discussing the Touch and PW1. It is fully within our rights and the charter of MobileRead to get off-topic, and I will fight to the death for my right to say so!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #289
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't use collections now so I do not fear updates for Touch and PW1. If they fix some of the issues with cloud collections first, so much the better.

As it is, I'm getting the new Fire HD and will probably start using them a bit even with the current, somewhat incomplete implementation. They'll sync with my iOS devices so they should have some utility for me that way (for example for 'current' and 'unread'). It's easy to ignore collections on those devices even if they are 'there'.

From what I gather here about the PW2 implementation, though, Collections will look like 'clutter' to me when Cloud Collections make their way to PW1 (just as Collections always have). I'd prefer to have the collections listed only in their own 'view' (as on iOS/Fire), not mixed in with items in the Author/Title/Recent listings. But I suppose that would upset many of those that currently uses them and are used to the way it is.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #290
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
So the collections mess has been fixed by Amazon?
No, not even addressed. These new collections is a pain in my a$$, the non Amazon books will lose their collections if you deregister and then reregister the device. If you have more than one device you could end up with duplicates of the same collection name, but all the books will not be in each collection. If slows down your device if you leave wifi on and if you turn it off then you have to constantly deal with the connect option when adjusting collections. Your books which are not on the device show up in the collections which makes navigating for something to read more cumbersome than it used to be.

I could go on but I think you get the gist of my frustrations with this update.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #291
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
the non Amazon books will lose their collections if you deregister and then reregister the device.
I'm pretty sure that's always been the case. Collections are only available on a registered device. Has this behaviour changed with 5.4.2?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #292
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm pretty sure that's always been the case. Collections are only available on a registered device. Has this behaviour changed with 5.4.2?
I noticed when, I re-registered mine, that Collections is greyed out. To enable them, I believe I would have to create a collection. I don't know if non-cloud collections would re-appear.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #293
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Uggh. I've just been hit by the dreaded collections. I updated my paperwhite a few weeks ago and everything was fine with my collections. This morning I turned on WiFi to download a purchased book and then I was flooded with all these old collections. I've just spent the best part of an hour disinfecting my kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #294
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, before when you deregistered/reregistered the side-loaded books will retain their collections location. Now they all are removed from their collection(s), which means you will have to reload them each time. And if you have a lot of side-loaded books which you did not buy from Amazon, it defeats the purpose of the collections feature. I can respect that Amazon will not maintain these collection(s) spots on their servers, but the device should maintain this information, if no where else.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #295
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #296
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Collections work perfectly for me on all my devices and PC App. I only have nine numbered Collections and 35 Amazon eBooks and never buy non-Amazon eBooks.

Its likely that Amazon designed their Collection software only for their own eBooks and really doesn't care to support competitor eBooks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #297
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't remember a time when my collections remembered sideloaded books past a re-register. How would Amazon remember it anyway? I got the feeling they just link it up to the book record they have somehow. They should fix that, but I guess they don't care, nevertheless I guess I see why his is happening. It was never a huge deal to me at least, since luckily almost all my books are from Amazon (with liberation plus new titles that actually make sense).

Maybe I'm just not remembering, though.

I do know it remembers my collections totally when de-registered, but it reloads from amazon when I re-register.

@sirmaru, just accept that you are not everyone and some people like to sideload. I may not remember it (???) but apparently, it USED to work just fine, so unless you are saying they deliberately blocked sideloaded ebooks, your statement is meaningless. And yes they do support competitor ebooks, the Kindle Drive is freely accessible and you can add whatever books you want.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #298
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@sirmaru, just accept that you are not everyone and some people like to sideload. I may not remember it (???) but apparently, it USED to work just fine, so unless you are saying they deliberately blocked sideloaded ebooks, your statement is meaningless. And yes they do support competitor ebooks, the Kindle Drive is freely accessible and you can add whatever books you want.
Of course you can load anything you want to the Kindle drive but Amazon, I am sure, has developed their Collection software for THEIR own eBooks, ONLY.

Why would they waste time supporting Sony or Apple eBooks? Why would Sony or Apple support Amazon? It would not make sense for any seller of eBooks to develop specialized Collection software to include competitors.

For that matter, when I used to read Microsoft eBooks on my PC, they never supported Adobe eBooks and visa versa.

The only way to get support for all varieties of eBooks is to use Calibre and Apprentice Alf.

If Calibre came out with their own eReader and marketed it on the internet, then those, who like side loaded eBooks from a variety of places, would have the perfect device to fit their needs. I wonder why they haven't done that yet. I definitely would be interested in such a device which would enable me to broaden my source of eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #299
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I sent Amazon feedback about the collections problem for those of us with more than one Kindle and they replied right away with a non-boilerplate reply asking that I call them. I did and the woman I talked to suggested that I delete the collections in my various Kindles and add new ones, using a different name on each device. I did and I put my books back in the new collections and now everything is back to normal.

I don't keep a lot of books on my various Kindles so this was pretty easy for me. But even if I did I'd have done it. It would have just been a lot more work.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #300
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't remember a time when my collections remembered sideloaded books past a re-register. How would Amazon remember it anyway? I got the feeling they just link it up to the book record they have somehow. They should fix that, but I guess they don't care, nevertheless I guess I see why his is happening. It was never a huge deal to me at least, since luckily almost all my books are from Amazon (with liberation plus new titles that actually make sense).

Maybe I'm just not remembering, though.

I do know it remembers my collections totally when de-registered, but it reloads from amazon when I re-register.

Mine were remembered in the collections.json file on older kindles, and I do not remember what the file was on the pw1 but I never lost any my collections when deregistering a device and I occasionally did it once ever couple of months.