Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
WiFi Setup and Older Kobos?

I've run into something that (I think) is new. I recently got a Kobo Mini for my brother and decided to test it and set it up. But it wouldn't connect with WiFi to do this — so I had to do the initial setup via the computer. Once that was done, WiFi works fine. I figured the previous owner somehow had gummed it up and didn't worry too much about it.

Yesterday I was curious to see if setting up one of the extra Kobo Wireless devices I have would bring up the Walmart logo. But like the Mini, neither will connect to Kobo. The WiFi hooks up, but when I hit "Shop" I get the following ... Network Error — Oops, something happened to your internet connection. Please check your connection and try again.

But my WiFi connection is fine — the WiFi "meter" shows "STRONG." It seems like I was able to set up my account via WiFi on the Kobo WiFis in the past. Has something changed? (I'm guessing I can still set up my account via the computer — that will be the next thing I try.)

Thanks for any pointers. Maybe I'm missing something here? Did you always have to do the initial setup on a Kobo Wireless via the computer?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have had similar errors with my Touch, but it seems to be working at the moment. At one point I thought they might have dropped using WiFi for the setup for older devices, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

There might be a problem if the device has older firmware and something happens to prevent the update during the setup. And of course, the Mini is limited to older firmware. That could explain it. I can't easily test that here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have had similar errors with my Touch, but it seems to be working at the moment. At one point I thought they might have dropped using WiFi for the setup for older devices, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Maybe their setup system is busy and older firmware gets a lower priority. It's not that big of a deal — I really just wanted to see if the Kobo WiFi "saw" the Walmart branded login or not.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote