Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #46
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@BluesNews : You want to use a metaboard plugin to "massage" the books title. Why not go over to the sticky thread in the Kobo forum entitled A Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 and above for Touch / Glo / Mini and I think you will get what you need.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #47
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
I am not sure how to do this on Kobo. I think on the Sony readers with the series tag and number entered, calibre would list the first book on the series on the top so you would always know the ordering.

How do you do this on Kobo? For example, I have a shelf called Harry Potter but how do I make sure that Philosopher Stone is on the top of the list in the shelf?

I don't want to rename each book since in Calibre, I have the series tag and the book number already done.
You can do this with a plugboard to rewrite the title when you send it to the device. Have a look at PeterT's Quick Guide for some suggestions.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-12-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Beaten: Remember to refresh before posting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #48
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
I've made a "Read" column in Calibre (Yes/No/blank) and was wondering if there's any way to link that to the read status on the KT (Read/Im_Reading/blank)?
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBuggie View Post
I've made a "Read" column in Calibre (Yes/No/blank) and was wondering if there's any way to link that to the read status on the KT (Read/Im_Reading/blank)?
Not at the moment. The driver does read this and displays it in the device list. Updating this in one direction or the other is in my todo list.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #50
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Okay, I'll stop trying to find a way then and wait. Not a major feature, but definitely a useful one.
And thanks for all your hard work
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #51
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As a long-time Sony devotee it was with some trepidation that I bought a Kobo Glo (of course I didn't need a new reader at all, but as I was passing WHSmith a terrible compulsion overwhelmed me ). Anyway, after all I'd read about previous Kobo 'flakiness' I didn't set my expections too high.

I'm pleased to say that I've been very pleasantly surprised and much of it is because of your KoboTouch driver, which provides many of the features I came to rely on from the Sony drivers. Much karma to you (I also really like the excellent font control).

There are a few things I wanted to ask...
  1. If a book has 2 authors in calibre, only the first one seems to display in the Kobo library view. Is this a limitation of the Kobo device itself or is the 2nd author going AWOL during the calibre transfer process (send-to-device is the method I used)?
  2. If I've understood the cover options correctly:
    • Always upload - refreshes all covers every time you connect and
    • Upload covers - refreshes only existing device covers.
    I imagine that both options could be quite lengthy with a large library. I was wondering whether there might also be an option to only send covers for the books that you are currently sending to device, which may be faster?
  3. Also regarding covers, would it be possible, at some point, to add an extra option to the driver (as per the Sony drivers). A checkbox to choose whether or not to preserve aspect ratio when building thumbnails/fullsize covers. As far as I can see, aspect ratio is currently always preserved. As a 'white-stripe-ophobe', I would much rather have the thumbnails fill all available space, even if it does distort a little. BTW I do understand that others would consider this sacrilege, but I don't think I'm alone either
  4. Are the cover options for epub only? If I send a PDF with 'Always upload' checked, on the Kobo I seem to get page 1 of the PDF as a thumbnail rather than the calibre cover (cover.jpg)

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-23-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added point 4
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As a long-time Sony devotee it was with some trepidation that I bought a Kobo Glo (of course I didn't need a new reader at all, but as I was passing WHSmith a terrible compulsion overwhelmed me ).
I understand that completely. I've had my touch for 10 months and I am glad the Glo hasn't reached the shops here as temptation is one thing I can't resist.
Quote:

Anyway, after all I'd read about previous Kobo 'flakiness' I didn't set my expections too high.

I'm pleased to say that I've been very pleasantly surprised and much of it is because of your KoboTouch driver, which provides many of the features I came to rely on from the Sony drivers. Much karma to you (I also really like the excellent font control).
I'm glad you like the purchase and the driver.
Quote:
There are a few things I wanted to ask...
  1. If a book has 2 authors in calibre, only the first one seems to display in the Kobo library view. Is this a limitation of the Kobo device itself or is the 2nd author going AWOL during the calibre transfer process (send-to-device is the method I used)?
  2. If I've understood the cover options correctly:
    • Always upload - refreshes all covers every time you connect and
    • Upload covers - refreshes only existing device covers.
    I imagine that both options could be quite lengthy with a large library. I was wondering whether there might also be an option to only send covers for the books that you are currently sending to device, which may be faster?
  3. Also regarding covers, would it be possible, at some point, to add an extra option to the driver (as per the Sony drivers). A checkbox to choose whether or not to preserve aspect ratio when building thumbnails/fullsize covers. As far as I can see, aspect ratio is currently always preserved. As a 'white-stripe-ophobe', I would much rather have the thumbnails fill all available space, even if it does distort a little. BTW I do understand that others would consider this sacrilege, but I don't think I'm alone either
  4. Are the cover options for epub only? If I send a PDF with 'Always upload' checked, on the Kobo I seem to get page 1 of the PDF as a thumbnail rather than the calibre cover (cover.jpg)
In order:
  1. I believe it is the device. During the send, calibre updates the metadata. All the authors are in the metadata. From memory, the device reads the first metadata entry for author and uses that. So, unless the way the metadata is saved is wrong, it's the device. As this is in an area of calibre outside the driver, I'm pretty sure the metadata format is correct.
  2. No, the covers are only uploaded for the books being sent to the device. The "Upload covers" option replaces existing cover images and hence only takes affect if the book is on the device. The "Always upload" puts them there the first time the book is sent. The reason for the options is that the Kobo devices generate the covers from the book when first needed. They store this for later use. If you resend the book, the device does not update the saved covers.
  3. Strangely enough, I was thinking about that earlier when responding to a post elsewhere about the cover size. But, I thought the images where being stretched. I admit to not using the options myself and only when I need to test. I'll check what is happening.
  4. They should be for all types of books. I will have a look at what is happening.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I checked the code, did some testing and some fixing last night. And...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • Strangely enough, I was thinking about that earlier when responding to a post elsewhere about the cover size. But, I thought the images where being stretched. I admit to not using the options myself and only when I need to test. I'll check what is happening.
If calibre generates the cover image, it is stretched to the appropriate size. But, I checked the sizes that were being used. Apart from the full screen one used for the screensaver, they were all a little narrow. I've updated the sizes to match what the device produces.
Quote:
  • They should be for all types of books. I will have a look at what is happening.
The driver sends covers for all book types. But, there was a circumstance were it wouldn't send one of the sizes. In that case, the device would have generated that cover. So, in some places the calibre cover would have been displayed, and in others the first page of the PDF.

Fixes for the above and an error in the last version will be in this weeks calibre build. Plus, I had another look at the performance and cleaned up some code that should help. It won't be as noticeable as the last change, but should help.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Fixes for the above and an error in the last version will be in this weeks calibre build. Plus, I had another look at the performance and cleaned up some code that should help. It won't be as noticeable as the last change, but should help.
I look forward to trying it out. Thanks for a speedy response
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #55
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Hi David,

I've loaded up calibre 0.9.4. These are my observations about covers/thumbnails using the updated KoboTouch driver with a Kobo Glo fw 2.1.5 (r43939):

New books sent to Kobo Glo:
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    Both ePub and PDF have calibre thumbnails, no white stripes (i.e aspect ratio not kept)
  • Upload covers UNCHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    ePub: thumbnails from calibre, with white stripes (i.e aspect ratio kept)
    PDF: thumbnails from PDF page 1
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload UNCHECKED
    ePub: thumbnails from calibre, with white stripes (i.e aspect ratio kept)
    PDF: thumbnails from PDF page 1
Books already on Kobo Glo:
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    Both ePub and PDF keep existing thumbnails, even if calibre cover changed
  • Upload covers UNCHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload UNCHECKED
    In fact the only way I was able to get the Kobo thumbnails to update to the new calibre covers was to resend the books with the device driver configured to have both 'Upload covers' and 'Always upload covers' checked. There was no need to delete the books before resending.

I'm not greatly bothered for myself as the 'both boxes checked' option gives me what I want, but I suspect these are not completely the results you would expect - or have I misunderstood the tooltips?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Firstly, thank you for the testing and confirming it is all working as I expect. I only use the options when test, so have missed it a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not greatly bothered for myself as the 'both boxes checked' option gives me what I want, but I suspect these are not completely the results you would expect - or have I misunderstood the tooltips?
No, you aren't misunderstanding the tooltips, it just isn't clear enough. The "Always upload" option only does something if the "Upload cover" option is also checked. This is the same as the "black and white" option. As I've explained this a few times, it is obviously unclear. I think I will change the options to be independent, as the way it is seems to be confusing.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #57
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast

I think rephrasing it slightly would help, as I'm not sure most people understand that uploading the cover is uploading the cache versions, not changing the actual epub cover.

Something like:
"Upload the cached cover images used for thumbnails or the sleep/off cover on sending a book if the KT has already generated them. Simply modifying the cover on the epub will not make the KT generate them again. Useful if you've changed the covers since previous transfer to the KT."

Then the second option would be a subset of the first (only clickable if the first is checked), visually indented so it would be clear it can't work without the first.
"Send the cached thumbnails and sleep/off covers every time you send a book, regardless of whether these have already been generated. Avoids letting the KT generate covers, making them display faster the first time, but taking up a little more memory."
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #58
Websterny
Websterny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadelia View Post
Okay, it seems that I misunderstood how to handle the custom columns but I found the solution and everything works perfectly now, thanks a lot for your work !
If you post a problem and later discover the answer, it is good form to not only express your pleasure to the forum at having resolved your problem, but also to offer some hint to others who might have experienced the same issue. I have the same error you did. Sadly, your post offers no help at all, other than to know that an answer is out there somewhere.
Websterny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Websterny View Post
If you post a problem and later discover the answer, it is good form to not only express your pleasure to the forum at having resolved your problem, but also to offer some hint to others who might have experienced the same issue. I have the same error you did. Sadly, your post offers no help at all, other than to know that an answer is out there somewhere.
Have you read through https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #60
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I bought a Kobo Mini today and was able to get the bookshelves set up and series sorted quickly and easily on the second try, thanks to the wonderful Kobo driver and instructions.

Thanks

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo