Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #91
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it supports USB-OTG, but only for things like mice and keyboards. According to the Nexus user guide, it doesn't support USB memory sticks via USB-OTG.
Does it specifically say it doesn't support USB mass storage, or does it just not mention it?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #92
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It leaves any mention of USB mass storage out.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #93
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If Play Store and Cloud Services are their raison d'etre it would make sense not to mention anything about USB storage. Basically power users and forum dwellers would be the only segment aware of the "bonus" feature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #94
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Folks, I am getting older and crankier and maybe a little lazier. I hate getting nickel and dimed to death.

I don't want a spider web connection of devices with cables and dongles. I want the "whole thing" in one neat smooth functioning package that slides in and out of a pocket or a carrier and is ready to go.

The keyboard cover they talked about for the MS tablet caught my eye immediately.

Sure I understand that throwing everything into a single package may put that package out of reach of some, but there is no reason we can't provide for smooth upgrades.

What happened to the idea of choice. 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64, and so on.
I wouldn't mind them having an economical model like the 8GB and then skipping straight to 32GB internal memory.
Or personally I would prefer them to have 8GB internal for the economical folks and then (TWO) SD slots that could be used as you like.
And of course the USB port/s should be all purpose.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #95
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Folks, I am getting older and crankier and maybe a little lazier. I hate getting nickel and dimed to death.

I don't want a spider web connection of devices with cables and dongles. I want the "whole thing" in one neat smooth functioning package that slides in and out of a pocket or a carrier and is ready to go.

The keyboard cover they talked about for the MS tablet caught my eye immediately.

Sure I understand that throwing everything into a single package may put that package out of reach of some, but there is no reason we can't provide for smooth upgrades.

What happened to the idea of choice. 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64, and so on.
I wouldn't mind them having an economical model like the 8GB and then skipping straight to 32GB internal memory.
Or personally I would prefer them to have 8GB internal for the economical folks and then (TWO) SD slots that could be used as you like.
And of course the USB port/s should be all purpose.
Then you should just wait for the next gen of more expensive tablets, I might pick up a dongle for Nexus 7 but that depends if I really need it or not (Probably not).

Remember that each new port that they add costs another $20-$30, so don't expect a device that is $199 (Sold at cost when you buy from the Play store) to have a ton of ports. If you want the high res screen and are willing to wait a month or two and then spend $350+ dollars then you will probably get a 32GB with SD, USB, and HDMI.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #96
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but if I was no sd would be a deal breaker.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #97
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just read an Engadget review of the $2100 Macbook Pro. You now need a dongle to replace the Ethernet port. It doesn't have an optical drive. Some folks are fine with it, some not so much. No matter what price point we are talking about, the companies that make our toys and devices select what they will include. Some of the decisions may be entirely price driven, others by design concerns, and still others because they want to have the devices used in ways that are advantageous to them over the life of the machine.

We show how we feel about these decisions with our dollars--our buying decisions. Part of that means being willing to pay more if we want more.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #98
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Does it specifically say it doesn't support USB mass storage, or does it just not mention it?
AnandTech has confirmed that USB mass storage isn't supported, see MHL and USB-OTG on the Nexus 7 - Mounting USB Storage Not Supported.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just read an Engadget review of the $2100 Macbook Pro. You now need a dongle to replace the Ethernet port. It doesn't have an optical drive. Some folks are fine with it, some not so much.
Remember this Lenovo commercial from a few years back?

tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #100
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
AnandTech has confirmed that USB mass storage isn't supported, see MHL and USB-OTG on the Nexus 7 - Mounting USB Storage Not Supported.
I believe the point was not that it isn't supported (we all seem to know that) but that Google has not ruled out support in the future by specifically listing it as unsupported in the manual. For those that are so inclined, root has been achieved and Stick Mount works for attaching things like SD cards and USB flashdrives. Not for direct play of videos and music at this point, but for file transfers on to the device.

Last edited by taming; 07-02-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #101
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but if I was no sd would be a deal breaker.
+1 No USB/SD. No deal.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #102
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I just read an Engadget review of the $2100 Macbook Pro. You now need a dongle to replace the Ethernet port. (snip) We show how we feel about these decisions with our dollars--our buying decisions. Part of that means being willing to pay more if we want more.
In that case, it means paying more to get less.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #103
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Of course it does. It's a Mac.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #104
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Meh, an ethernet port is maybe a good emergency fallback in case a router dies, but optical drives are basically obsolete. Both the drives and the associated media take up a lot of space, as well as generating noise and heat in operation and being extremely prone to failure. Many people rip them out of older Macbooks to install additional hard drives or SSDs. Even for a desktop machine, it makes more sense to keep an external drive boxed in a closet for occasional use.

Certainly there's an element of, "If you want media on your Macbook, you will get it from iTunes!" but it's really not a comparable design decision to omitting all external storage. What optical drives and ethernet ports on laptops have in common is that they go unused 98.72568% of the time, whereas most Android users do take advantage of expandable storage on a more or less constant basis.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #105
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
I just read an Engadget review of the $2100 Macbook Pro. You now need a dongle to replace the Ethernet port. It doesn't have an optical drive. Some folks are fine with it, some not so much. No matter what price point we are talking about, the companies that make our toys and devices select what they will include. Some of the decisions may be entirely price driven, others by design concerns, and still others because they want to have the devices used in ways that are advantageous to them over the life of the machine.

We show how we feel about these decisions with our dollars--our buying decisions. Part of that means being willing to pay more if we want more.
Just want to point out that it is only the retina screen model that doesn't have the optical drive and you need a dongle to plug in an ethernet cable. The other models still have those features.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote