Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
engyroz
engyroz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Sony reader app horribly slow after transfering my book collection

I transfered my book collection, 5000 or so books, to the root directory of my external sd card of my rooted prst1.

Then the sony reader app on the device started indexing these books, (it took some hours!) and when it was done the sony reader app was so slow it was unusable.

Is there a way to have my collection on the external sd card without the original reader app starting to index it?

To clarify, I want to be able to have my collection on the device without them being visible in the original sony reader app.

Thanks!
engyroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I don't believe the reader is meant to hold that many books on the device. Why do you need all 5000 on it at once?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Try a reset and let it reindex. Used to work on my 600, but it is a different app. I had 4883 books on my 600 which could take an hour to index, but it worked fine once they were done.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I don't believe the reader is meant to hold that many books on the device. Why do you need all 5000 on it at once?
Why not, if the reader can hold that many without slowing down? 32 gigs should be able to hold 32,000 books, roughly speaking, shouldn't it? So a T1 with a big card in it should be able to handle 5,000 books easily. That's one reason I am thinking of getting a T1, to hold as many books as I want without a glitch. I found out I couldn't do that with the Kindle.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
So far, all manufacturer product pages for e-readers I've seen have mentioned being able to carry thousands of books or your entire library as a feature. If they're going to claim that, their products should darn well be capable of doing so without severe performance penalty.

@engyroz
If you're working with DRM-free ebooks, then don't use the default Sony Reader. Try Calibre, instead. Works like a charm and the automated collections feature is a God-send. You can also copy DRM'ed ebooks to your reader via Calibre but you would still need either Sony Reader for PC or Adobe Digital Editions to download the DRM'ed ebook.

One thing I've noticed with Calibre, indexing on the device appears to go by faster if I use Calibre to send the ebooks to the device than if I just use simple file copy to the internal memory. I reckon this is because Calibre already adds the ebooks to the device database so the device only needs to check if the files and database match.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
same here, I use calibre to add the books to my device - sending them to the micro sd class 10 32gb. after unplugging the t1 it takes 2 minutes or so for the device to index (when you open the sd card slot you can see the little yellow led blink) after that everything runs at a good speed. but the device is much faster if using only the internal memory.

so it takes a view seconds longer to open a book on sd but reading is as fast as reading a book from internal memory...

my tip: every time you reboot your t1 or transfer books (so the sd card is unmounted from the device itself and mounted to your pc or mac) put it beside and wait untill the indexing is all done before starting to read.
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote