Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #646
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Congratulations Nyssa; I'm in for 2012. Both changes sound great. TOC will be good, and of course opening it up to individual challenges is superb. Last year I didn't wait around for it - I knew I'd never get anywhere near 100, so lowered mine to 50 which I still knew would be a challenge for me.
I'll join in for 2012!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #647
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As 2011 comes to a close I’d like to thank The Terminator for starting the thoroughly enjoyable 100 Books in 2011 Book Challenge! I think it is a great idea for the MobileRead community.

The Terminator will be letting someone else run the challenge next year. I have been offered the opportunity and have happily accepted. I hope to continue making it a fun experience for all.

I do plan to make some changes for 2012.

I loved this challenge, but I knew 100 would most likely be unattainable for me. I took part just to see if it would motivate me to read more (which it did) and to find out where I would be at the end.

What I would like to do next year is to lower my number to a more realistic (for me) goal. I have also seen people mention tracking the number of words or pages instead of the number of books. So, with that in mind I will be presenting the 2012 Annual Reading Challenge! [Threads will go up at the end of December.]

Like the 2011 100 Books Challenge, we will have both a Discussion Thread and a List Thread. Participating members, however, will state their own personal challenge in their own individual post in the List Thread.

Another change will be to include a TOC of participants at the beginning of the List thread, in order to make finding individual posts easier.

Once again, Thank You to The Terminator for getting the ball rolling, I hope to see everyone in the 2012 Reading challenge!

Happy Reading!

~Nyssa
Nice idea. I'm sorely tempted, even though I have said I'll not take up a challenge in 2012. Will have to sleep on it .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #648
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Congratulations Nyssa; I'm in for 2012. Both changes sound great. TOC will be good, and of course opening it up to individual challenges is superb. Last year I didn't wait around for it - I knew I'd never get anywhere near 100, so lowered mine to 50 which I still knew would be a challenge for me.
Thank You!

I think many people felt a little intimidated by "100", but it was a great goal to work towards. Hopefully by making it open, members, in general, will find something that works best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I'll join in for 2012!
Excellent! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Nice idea. I'm sorely tempted, even though I have said I'll not take up a challenge in 2012. Will have to sleep on it .
Aww, well we'd love to have you should you decided to participate.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #649
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Since we can set our own challenge, your challenge can be to avoid challenges.

I'm in, in case I haven't already mentioned that. Between here and Goodreads, I sometimes forget what I've responded to. I can be a bit scattered at times.

I really like the TOC idea too. Well done, Nyssa. Looking forward to it!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #650
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Great idea CWN!

Quote:
I'm in, in case I haven't already mentioned that. Between here and Goodreads, I sometimes forget what I've responded to. I can be a bit scattered at times.

I really like the TOC idea too. Well done, Nyssa. Looking forward to it!
Thank you. I am too. I can't wait to see the different challenges.
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #651
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Like too many double negatives, I'm not sure what you mean (). Now you've left me mentally challenged...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #652
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Like too many double negatives, I'm not sure what you mean (). Now you've left me mentally challenged...

You can't blame that on me. That's more likely the result of too much time spent in the Lounge.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #653
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'll do it again, and keep it at 100. But I'm going to allow myself to reread in 2012, which I didn't allow this year. I shouldn't reread, because there are so many new books to experience, but heck, I've been yearning to revisit some old favorites.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #654
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'll do it again, and keep it at 100. But I'm going to allow myself to reread in 2012, which I didn't allow this year. I shouldn't reread, because there are so many new books to experience, but heck, I've been yearning to revisit some old favorites.
I think that's perfectly acceptable. A read is a read is a read. Doesn't matter if you've read it before. What would your total have been in 2011 if you included rereads?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #655
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I'll join in for 2012!
Great!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #656
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Last night I fired up calibre and compiled a list of "2012 selections". It's a significantly smaller subset of my total ebook collection, but still gives me more than enough to choose from (370 spread across several genres). I put those on the Kindle. Then I exported a CSV catalog, fired up Excel and now I have a rough catalog to refer to when I want to browse my selections without starting up the computer that calibre is on. That's as close as I will ever get to planning what I'm going to read.

I can't even do something as simple as reading without being a nerd about it.

As for this year, I started book #81 last night.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #657
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I definitely want to do some version of the challenge next year. However, beyond wanting to concentrate on Georgette Heyer and Agatha Christie (and a few other specific pursuits) I want to be really loose in putting together any type of list. Once I restrict myself to a list, I'm usually almost guaranteed to run in the other direction for a book to read. I have issues
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #658
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Once I restrict myself to a list, I'm usually almost guaranteed to run in the other direction for a book to read. I have issues
Ditto, which is why my "lists" usually equal the size of a small bookstore. I can't handle being told what to read, even by ME. The rebel rears up and stomps all over it. Yep, I have issues too.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #659
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Oh, I'm definitely in for next year. For 2011 I thought I'd be doing well to hit 50 - and now it doesn't look like I'm going to make even that. But tracking how many books I read has been really fun.

My downfall is keeping up with magazines and newspapers during the year. Takes a certain amount of reading time away from the books - and I have yet to figure how to set an equivalence (i.e. The Economist plus the Guardian Weekly every weekend = x% of a book? Then factor in the NY Times Sunday edition.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #660
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Oh, I'm definitely in for next year. For 2011 I thought I'd be doing well to hit 50 - and now it doesn't look like I'm going to make even that. But tracking how many books I read has been really fun.

My downfall is keeping up with magazines and newspapers during the year. Takes a certain amount of reading time away from the books - and I have yet to figure how to set an equivalence (i.e. The Economist plus the Guardian Weekly every weekend = x% of a book? Then factor in the NY Times Sunday edition.)
I have the same issue with short stories (which includes novelettes: 7,500 to 17,500 words).

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-04-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: One too many zeros

Tags
a terminator production