Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
Приветствую. Надеюсь, что англоязычные коллеги переведут мои посты.
Читать могу, а вот писать стесняюсь

Это не совсем так. PocketBook воспроизводит 4 градации для текста.
В PDF для графики - 8 градаций (в современных моделях контроллер Epson).
16 градаций для фотографий. Двойное обновление экрана...
Для текста и графики, решили, что слишком медленно.

Кроме того используются алгоритмы растеризации для графики, поэтому реально градаций получается больше.

P.S. Предупрежу, что не используется Engine от Adobe. Со временем оно появится.
PDF и ePUB воспроизводятся посредственно (PDF хорошо, но медленно). Очень хорошо с поддержкой Русского, Украинского и прочих языков в формате FB2. Сейчас это основной формат. Интерфейс интуитивно очень понятный и удобный. Поддержка языков, это проблема шрифтов в основном. Переносы в формате TeX. Пока только встроенные.
Hi,I translated message JAW through an interpreter google. During the next two weeks will be a new Firmware for Pocketbook, it will be installed Adobe Digital Reader, it is well supported EPUB and PDF.
Quote:

Welcome. I hope that the English-speaking colleagues transferred my posts.
I can read, but too shy to write

Quote:
Zitat von wallcraft Beitrag anzeigen
Does the PocketBook 301 really have "16 grayscale"? Most EB600-based devices use the Apollo controller and so only have 4 hardware grayscales.

How about the 302? Does it have 16 grayscale in hardware?
It's not quite true. PocketBook reproduces 4 shades for the text.
The PDF for graphics - 8 Grade (in modern models of the controller Epson).
16 shades for the photos. Double screen refresh ...
For text and graphics, decided that it was too slow.

In addition the use of algorithms for raster graphics, so realistic gradations is greater.

P.S. Warn, that is not used Engine from Adobe. Over time it appears.
PDF and ePUB reproduced mediocre (PDF well, but slow). Very good with the support of Russian, Ukrainian and other languages in the format FB2. Now it is a basic format. Intuitive interface is very intuitive and easy. Language support is the problem of fonts in the main. Ports format TeX. So far only built-in.

Last edited by Forkosigan; 10-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
I think readers here would find one of the features of the Pocketbook to be really attractive,
it supports unicode out of the box, and it's fonts are user customizable, which means that it should be able to read chinese, japanese, hindu books and I think with minor adjustments hebrew and arabic. Correct me if I am wrong.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Does the PocketBook 301 really have "16 grayscale"? Most EB600-based devices use the Apollo controller and so only have 4 hardware grayscales.
They claim to use some trick with waveform reloading to achieve 16 levels per pixel.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
Приветствую. Надеюсь, что англоязычные коллеги переведут мои посты.
Читать могу, а вот писать стесняюсь
Это не совсем так. PocketBook воспроизводит 4 градации для текста.
В PDF для графики - 8 градаций (в современных моделях контроллер Epson).
16 градаций для фотографий. Двойное обновление экрана...
Для текста и графики, решили, что слишком медленно.

Кроме того используются алгоритмы растеризации для графики, поэтому реально градаций получается больше.

P.S. Предупрежу, что не используется Engine от Adobe. Со временем оно появится.

PDF и ePUB воспроизводятся посредственно (PDF хорошо, но медленно). Очень хорошо с поддержкой Русского, Украинского и прочих языков в формате FB2. Сейчас это основной формат. Интерфейс интуитивно очень понятный и удобный. Поддержка языков, это проблема шрифтов в основном. Переносы в формате TeX. Пока только встроенные.

I'll translate what JAW wrote here, he's a tech-pro in ebook readers, posting mostly on russian e-book.org forum:

4 grayscales in text and 16 in pictures - not exactly so. Pocketbook shows 4 grayscales in texts, 8 grayscales in PDF graphics due to Epson controller in modelrn models)and 16 grayscales in photographs. Double screen refreshing... They decided it was to slow for texts and graphics.

Apart from that, special algorithm us applied to rasterize graphics, and, eventually, leading to even more grades of gray.

PS.FYI - Engine from Adobe is not used yet, but there are plans to include it, it's the matter of time. PDF and ePUB are displayed satisfactory. (PDF - good, but slow). Russian, Ukrainian and other languages are very well displayed in FB2 - this is kind of the favorite format for there devices now. User Interface is very intuitive and comfortable, easy to use. Supporting languages means supporting fonts, as it seems. Divisions so far in Tex format, only embedded.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #20
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
I think readers here would find one of the features of the Pocketbook to be really attractive,
it supports unicode out of the box, and it's fonts are user customizable, which means that it should be able to read chinese, japanese, hindu books and I think with minor adjustments hebrew and arabic. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, you are right. PBs are very popular in Israel, where people read in a true mixture of codes, so to say: Hebrew (lright to left, on top of that!), English, Arabic and Russian! So, before launching there our developers have resolved all issues with right-t-left languages.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #21
JAW
JAW began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
I write on russian and english.
Please translate and correct my message.

PocketBook понимает Unicode. Он позволяет инсталировать любые шрифты в Unicode. Моя практика показала, что он понимает хинтинг (Hinting) и нормально работают фонетические шрифты (IPA).
Китайские и Японские шрифты будут работать в зависимости от реализации набора. Понимается и церковнославянский, один из проблемных языков.
Всё зависит от языка и шрифта. Порой приходится использовать специально адаптированные шрифты.

Но!!! Можно использовать только одну гарнитуру шрифта для всех книг.
Возможно в ePUB всё будет проще.
=======
PocketBook understands Unicode. It allows you to install any fonts in Unicode. My experience has shown that he understands hinting (Hinting) and normally operate phonetic fonts (IPA).
Chinese and Japanese fonts will work, depending on the implementation of the set. It is understood and Church [Церковно Славянские. Ортодоксальное христианство, не знаю, как перевести... Проблемно из за большого количества акцентов и огласовок размещёнными над основной строкой текста], one of the problematic language.
All depends on the language and font. Sometimes we have to use specially Hacked (adapted) fonts.

But! You can use only one font face for all books.
Perhaps in ePUB everything will be easier.

Last edited by JAW; 10-06-2009 at 02:50 PM.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

JAW, spasibo, dyakuyu, thanks!

People asked here whether books in Thai language would be displayed alright? Or ANY language would work, provided respective fonts are installed?
A little translation: тайский язык нормально будет отображаться? Или пойдёт любой язык, лишь бы были соотвествующие фонты?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #23
JAW
JAW began at the beginning.

Yes if font support Thai page
See http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0E00.pdf
http://packages.debian.org/ru/squeeze/ttf-thai-arundina
P.S.
Символ может иметь нулевую ширину. При этом может быть смещён относительно центра. Это позволяет комбинировать символы и реализовать даже многоуровневые акценты.

Last edited by JAW; 10-08-2009 at 02:30 AM.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #24
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Thai works perfectly, I just tried and uploaded images to another thread, where somebody asked about Thai
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
piglab
piglab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600, PRS505, Kindle2, PRS900, Boox60, iPhone
Does Pocketbook 302 have diverse dictionaries (e.g., English, Spanish, Russian) and translators? If so, can the dictionary be used by touching a word with a finger? Does it have text-to-speech function in English and other languages? Thanks!
piglab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #26
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglab View Post
Does Pocketbook 302 have diverse dictionaries (e.g., English, Spanish, Russian) and translators? If so, can the dictionary be used by touching a word with a finger? Does it have text-to-speech function in English and other languages? Thanks!
you can download as many different dictionaries as you want (memory allows), they just have to be converted, converter could be downloaded from one of PB sites.
No text-to-speech though, but you do can choose the highlighted word.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #27
hucus
hucus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any way to get it shipped to Thailand?
hucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #28
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucus View Post
Any way to get it shipped to Thailand?
Yes, of course. USPS would cost about 45 USD and take about 10 days, you can also use UPS, it'd be faster, but more expensive.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Yes, you are right. PBs are very popular in Israel, where people read in a true mixture of codes, so to say: Hebrew (lright to left, on top of that!), English, Arabic and Russian! So, before launching there our developers have resolved all issues with right-t-left languages.
Does this mean that the version sold in the US has Arabic support? Or will I have to tweak it to achieve this? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #30
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Does this mean that the version sold in the US has Arabic support? Or will I have to tweak it to achieve this? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Luqman
Yes, you can read books/texts in Arabic, but the menu will be in English though. All you have to tweak in order to read a book in certain language - is to install a ttf font that supports this language.