Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Furthest page read

I have the original nook, but now that the "go to furthest page read" feature no longer exists, I find reading frustrating. Do any of the other options--different Nooks, any Kindle, or any other device--support this function? There is a lot about the way I read that makes the Nook frustrating, but this single feature has become my constant irritation.

Thanks.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
All Kindles support go to furthest page read. And it's smart enough to even do it across multiple devices, IF you have your wireless on.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
All Kindles support go to furthest page read. And it's smart enough to even do it across multiple devices, IF you have your wireless on.
I've asked this before, but how do you get to furthest page read on the Kindle? If I accidentally return to the first page, or the TOC for example, there is no Go To option for the furthest read page. I just can't work out how to do it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Use the Back key to set the highwater (last page read) marker.

Use the Back key, repeatedly, to reach the highwater (last page read) marker 'setting page' (the page where you can set it to something else, one page forward, or backward, from the currently-displayed page of the e-book).

[EDIT: The title I gave to this post is slightly inaccurate, and I can't seem to change it.]

If you press it [the BACK key] one too many times, you will exit the book entirely. The next time you load the book, you will be at the highwater mark setting page.

From this page, you can change the highwater (last page read) marker, by pressing either Page Up, or Page Down.

That is the *only* way to change the highwater mark setting.

When you visit the highwater mark setting page for any ebook on Kindle, you are allowed to read the page itself. It will not look any different. You set the highwater marker from this page, and as a side-effect of setting the marker to a new location (one page behind, or forward, of the current page) .. you also get to view (read) the newly-exposed page.

Any *other* navigation can produce images of various pages, but you forever leave the highwater marker setting page (as I'm calling it) until you use the Back key, to retrace your steps, backwards (and thereby destroy the records of where you have visited -- Back is a one-way trip here).

It's frustrating to figure all this out, but near as I can tell, I have it correct: the Back key is the final arbiter of if you are to revisit the highwater marker setting page or not.

If you don't use this mental model, then it becomes a lot more trouble to explain why using PageUp or PageDown does not *always* change, also, the last page read marker (or highwater marker, as I prefer to call it).

Corrections welcomed. I do things a certain way, so I have not stumbled upon an exception to the way it seems to operate, the way I use Kindle, daily.

Hope this was of some help.

--teasonc
New England, USA

Last edited by teasonc; 11-24-2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fix typo
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote