Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Latest Software for Original Kobo eReader

1. What is the latest software version for the original Kobo eReader device? Is it 1.8.3 (r22907, Dec 30 2010)?
  2. Is there any way to install the latest version without the Kobo desktop application?
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
deleted

Last edited by filmo; 10-21-2011 at 11:44 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
1. Yes 1.8.3 is the latest Firmware.

2. There is but you would have to find the 1.8.3 Firmware zip file and download it.

I know how to manually update the firmware on the KT but I'm not SURE if it is the same for the Kobo original (I wasn't in that firmware beta group). So I don't want to give instructions that won't work (or worse )

Have you had problems with the Desktop app? It goes fairly smoothly the update that way. I've updated Two Kobo 1's that way.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It has always been done, by regular users, over the desktop application. The beta group had to create a Linux-usable SD card and go through a process of sorts to load the update onto the Linux card and then proceed from there. Some other folks did it as well, and one of the stickies has the instructions, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: This is the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111181
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Have you had problems with the Desktop app? It goes fairly smoothly the update that way. I've updated Two Kobo 1's that way.
Some problems with desktop app, many problems with post-update bugs to the device. From duplicate pages to missing free books to removed bookmarks. It is the very reason why I've refused to buy another Kobo device. They're known for letting their original userbase down with poor software and customer service.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It has always been done, by regular users, over the desktop application. The beta group had to create a Linux-usable SD card and go through a process of sorts to load the update onto the Linux card and then proceed from there. Some other folks did it as well, and one of the stickies has the instructions, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: This is the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111181
Thanks!
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am of two minds with Kobo (though the part that loves it clearly has won out). On the one hand, Kobo firmware/software seems to be a bit half-baked upon release of new devices and as they continue to build on it, there are bugs and annoyances along the way. On the other hand, they do build on released software and do add valuable features that were not on the devices at release.

The first Kobo is no longer being developed, from what I can tell. Kobo WiFi is still in production and is apparently going to go through a development/beta process that will see some new features. We have had a number of very nifty additions to the Touch, with more to come.

My decision was that I'd rather go through the process with Kobo then buy a reader that will probably not get a feature update. The other day I ran into someone reading on a Touch who was not as pleased with it as I am. Turns out, he had never updated the software at all. He was using whatever was on the reader when he bought it, had never turned on the WiFi or connected to the desktop after going through the registration/setup process. People who use their readers in this way might well be better off buying something more "perfected" at release, even though ultimately, it might not be as advanced at Kobo products might become.

Last edited by taming; 10-22-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The other day I ran into someone reading on a Touch who was not as pleased with it as I am. Turns out, he had never updated the software at all. He was using whatever was on the reader when he bought it, had never turned on the WiFi or connected to the desktop after going through the registration/setup process. People who use their readers in this way might well be better off buying something more "perfected" at release, even though ultimately, it might not be as advanced at Kobo products might become.
Ouch that would suck. How did that ever happen? Did he never update library through WiFi or desktop?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Ouch that would suck. How did that ever happen? Did he never update library through WiFi or desktop?
LOL--Nope.