Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
many companies buy smaller companies, for various reasons, and that Apple bidding on Dropbox was neither unusual or particularly sinister
Yes, companies buy other companies all the time, but that says nothing about it being sinister or not. I know. I had a great job until my company was bought by a larger firm who cherry-picked a few engineers, fired everyone else, and dissolved the corporation. They only did it to get rid of competition so they could sell inferior equipment at higher prices. It was entirely sinister.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #47
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Yes, companies buy other companies all the time, but that says nothing about it being sinister or not. I know. I had a great job until my company was bought by a larger firm who cherry-picked a few engineers, fired everyone else, and dissolved the corporation. They only did it to get rid of competition so they could sell inferior equipment at higher prices. It was entirely sinister.
True, it happened to HP and Compaq. But you know what? Business are business. When people start to mix feelings with that, the thing starts to affects you directly as well.

Unethical or sinister does not mean is illegal. So when keeping that in perspective and thinking in business terms, it is perfectly fine. All companies now do that all the time. There is no "good or bad" guy here. They need to survive in this competitive business world.

Not saying is sad when people got fired after merge. It happened to me that people had knowledge transfer with me about a particular project or database, knowing that they were going to lose their jobs later, but again, is business.

Big companies are not here to make us a "favor". Those companies want our money and they want us to buy ** their ** devices. You can call that device whatever you want.

I'm one of those who are really happy that AT&T merge did not occur, I like Tmobile as is. But that's business too.

Last edited by jocampo; 09-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #48
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
To a large extent, services like iCloud and Dropbox largely obviate the need for SD cards.
Only for people who have neither serious security issues (Such as legal, medical or technical development work) and only for people who live work and spend their leisure where wifi and/or cellular broadband is readily available.

Also a device without a slot is limited in functionality to a far, far greater extent than those with SD slots because programs as well as data reside on SD cards and even with the fastest wifi swapping out programs takes a lot of time.

No defense of the lack of SD cards holds up well because in the end it comes down to arguing that the device is really better with less memory.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #49
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Only for people who have neither serious security issues (Such as legal, medical or technical development work) and only for people who live work and spend their leisure where wifi and/or cellular broadband is readily available.

Also a device without a slot is limited in functionality to a far, far greater extent than those with SD slots because programs as well as data reside on SD cards and even with the fastest wifi swapping out programs takes a lot of time.

No defense of the lack of SD cards holds up well because in the end it comes down to arguing that the device is really better with less memory.
Allowing SD cards present security issues of its own, mate. That's most likely the main reason why Apple did'nt put SD card slots on Ios devices. Had it done so, it would have made Ios devices a happy hunting ground for hackers. There's a reason why the government and many corporations doesn't allow the use of removable storage devices in their office computer systems. It's a reason that holds up quite well.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #50
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Allowing SD cards present security issues of its own, mate. That's most likely the main reason why Apple did'nt put SD card slots on Ios devices. Had it done so, it would have made Ios devices a happy hunting ground for hackers. There's a reason why the government and many corporations doesn't allow the use of removable storage devices in their office computer systems. It's a reason that holds up quite well.
Apple didn't put SD card slots in iOS devices because of Apple's seeming desire to become the primary distributor of content consumed by Apple users.

Gov't security was not the reason Apple left off the SD slot. At least, until there's some evidence to back that up, I'm extremely confident that gov't security wasn't the reason.

Last edited by djulian; 09-13-2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Confusing phrasing
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #51
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
Apple didn't put SD card slots in iOS devices because iOS is Apple's seeming desire to become the primary distributor of content consumed by Apple users.

Gov't security was not the reason Apple left off the SD slot. At least, until there's some evidence to back that up, I'm extremely confident that gov't security wasn't the reason.

Well, I guess you missed this sentence in my post :

Quote:
Had it done so, it would have made Ios devices a happy hunting ground for hackers.
My point was that Apple was agreeing with the government that removable storage slots on a device creates a security problem. I don't know any IT person who would disagree.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #52
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Allowing SD cards present security issues of its own, mate. That's most likely the main reason why Apple did'nt put SD card slots on Ios devices. Had it done so, it would have made Ios devices a happy hunting ground for hackers.
Sure thing. Protecting customers from evil hackers and not charging 100$ for extra 16Gb of flash is the actual reason.

I recall there is an adapter that allows you to connect SD card to iSomethings. But note that it is an ADAPTER, obviously it has some sort of hacker protection built in.

Have you heard about "flying dutch SD cards"? They are very hard to spot. Fly real fast. Can track up to 20000 devices with unprotected SD card slot. Need only 0.42 milliseconds to hack devices. Unless it's an Apple device, protected with SD Card protection adapter.

kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #53
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Sure thing. Protecting customers from evil hackers and not charging 100$ for extra 16Gb of flash is the actual reason.

I recall there is an adapter that allows you to connect SD card to iSomethings. But note that it is an ADAPTER, obviously it has some sort of hacker protection built in.

Have you heard about "flying dutch SD cards"? They are very hard to spot. Fly real fast. Can track up to 20000 devices with unprotected SD card slot. Need only 0.42 milliseconds to hack devices. Unless it's an Apple device, protected with SD Card protection adapter.

I'm sure someone, somewhere, in the universe thinks you are funny, mate. Keep posting and that person just may come across your efforts.

Meanwhile, here on Earth Prime, the average consumer doesn't give a damn about SD card slots for Ios devices. The iPhone was recently voted #1 in consumer satisfaction and the iPad has been obliterating competing tablets that have both SD card AND USB slots.

RETURNING TO THE TOPIC AT HAND, I can't see why Apple would even WANT to buy Dropbox at this stage. The time to buy Dropbox would be at the time Apple began to build its new cloud service, so that it could be fully integrated in Apple's new system. Another reason why this rumor is probably false.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #54
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
$800 million seems really low-Dropbox just got $4 Billion in funding-where did this rumor come from, and how old is it?
I thought exactly the same. $800m is a ridiculously low sum if Dropbox have already been able to drum up $4bn of VC investment (though much of that will no doubt be spread out over several years).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #55
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I'm sure someone, somewhere, in the universe thinks you are funny, mate.
I do.

But fair's fair, I find your 'Apple didn't include SD slots because they're a security risk' idea pretty funny too!
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #56
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
You forgot to add Samsung, who shamelessly copied brilliant idea of having no SD slot in its Galaxy Tab. That's yet another reason to sue them...
Hmm, that's strange, my Samsung Galaxy Tab has a MicroSD slot, and it came with a 16 GB MicroSD card.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #57
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

And when the time comes that I need more storage, I don't need to by a new tablet, just a new SD card.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #58
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Unethical or sinister does not mean is illegal. So when keeping that in perspective and thinking in business terms, it is perfectly fine. All companies now do that all the time. There is no "good or bad" guy here. They need to survive in this competitive business world.
Actually I think there are good guys and bad guys, very much so. Lots of truly awful things have been done under the cover of legality. Being legal makes them no less heinous.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #59
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Well, I guess you missed this sentence in my post :

My point was that Apple was agreeing with the government that removable storage slots on a device creates a security problem. I don't know any IT person who would disagree.
Balderdash!

I’m an IT Project Manager working for the US Army, and I can tell you unequivocally, that the only security concern that led to the banning of removable media was the introduction of viruses into Government networks via USB drives. Whether or not a phone or tablet has an SD slot is a completely different issue, but I’m pretty well convinced that the reason iDevices don’t have SD slots is the same reason they can’t be mounted as external drives on desktop/laptop computers; just another brick in the wall.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #60
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
I do.

But fair's fair, I find your 'Apple didn't include SD slots because they're a security risk' idea pretty funny too!
You'd be laughing out of the other side of your face if as a system administrator you allowed the average user to just plug any old removable storage device into your system computers , mate. In any case this wankery about SD cards is irrelevant to the thread topic.